Deregulation....Success or Failure??

For the deregulation opponents, please ponder the following:

Would companies like Mesaba, Pinnacle, Skywest, Mesa, ExpressJet, etc. be around if the industry were still regulated? Would 300-hour zero-to-hero pilots get jobs flying 767s and and 777s across the ocean?

Is it the government's fault that 23 year olds who pay $75,000 for their ratings are lining up for a $20,000 salary?

Would people be willing to pay triple what they pay in a deregulated industry for a coach-class fare?.
Not really sure what your point was.

To answer your questions:
No, Mesaba, Pinnacle, Skywest, Mesa, and ExpressJet wouldn't exist. And without them, there wouldn't be any 300 hour wonders. Legacy jobs would still be extremely competitive and would command higher salaries.

Airports would not have the overcrowding because of over scheduling, airports would not need as much tax money for expansions. More money would be available for modernizing smaller facilities (relatively speaking). Airways wouldn't be as crowded.

Flight schools wouldn't have trouble retaining CFIs and ATP/CRJ schools wouldn't exist.

People who need to fly would pay what it takes to make it happen or stay home.

All due respect to the regional flyers on here, but tell me where the downside is. I would be one happy camper if the "regionals" were banned from flying any legs over 300 miles and could have no more than 40 total aircraft.

To answer your questions:
No, Mesaba, Pinnacle, Skywest, Mesa, and ExpressJet wouldn't exist. And without them, there wouldn't be any 300 hour wonders. Legacy jobs would still be extremely competitive and would command higher salaries.

That's my point. RJ drivers are like the illegal immigrants of the airline industry, taking low wages and complaining about their QOL (this outta be rich for some replies).

I know it's easy to blame the RJ drivers, and while SOME of it might be warrented. . .the overwhelming majority of mainline pilots decided that the RJ was just too tiny for their egos. . .

So well. . .the companies needed pilots, they had to come from somewhere.

So well. . .the companies needed pilots, they had to come from somewhere.

Yes. They came. Stabbing each other in the back along the way, willing to do it for lower and lower wages and for faster and faster upgrades. Some even paid for a bridge program. Others bragged to their friends and loved ones of the jet they now fly all the while complaining about the money and work rules even though they weren't even members of the union yet. All for the job title: Airline Pilot. If people wanted a stable job flying they would have flown freight or corporate. But then again, all the peoples in the terminals wouldn't have seen them in their uniforms.

Let's see how much does Airnet or Ameriflight pay their lear FO's? $35k or so? A little "pot calling the kettle black"?

I take considerable offense to your post B, you infer we do this for our job title which is grossly incorrect.

Let's see how much does Airnet or Ameriflight pay their lear FO's? $35k or so? A little "pot calling the kettle black"?

I take considerable offense to your post B, you infer we do this for our job title which is grossly incorrect.

Ameriflight FO lear rates are negotiated. Starting pay is around 44k to 45k. The schedule on the charter/passenger side was also 7 on and 7 off. I don't even know if we fly them much anymore though.

You might want to update it on APC then, they show a monthly starting pay of around $2500 and not increasing much.

You might want to update it on APC then, they show a monthly starting pay of around $2500 and not increasing much.

Yeah its wrong. They never update that stuff. It went to negotiated pay a while back. Another thing is that if you are a metro driver and you can hold a metro line, you'll get metro pay in whatever aircraft you fly be it lear FO, BE99 or whatever. So if you are a 3rd year metro captain dualed qualified and fly the lear as a FO also, you'd make 3rd year metro pay. Most of the lear FO's I knew were metro captains. It just wouldn't be smart to fly in the lear as a FO when to be getting PIC time in the 99 for the same pay yah know.

The reason I don't mess around with changing things on APC is because things change around here often. My take is that if management wants people to know about changes, they'll let them know themselves. You'd probably notice that you never see Lear FO openings posted. One reason is because they've pretty much gone away and the other reason would be that they go to people already on the line.

Gotcha, I flew with someone today who wanted to live over in Cali and I mentioned AMF, they said no way they looked at it on APC and it didn't interest them...so if that stuff is outta date it would certainly limit their recruiting (although probably doesn't mean much nowadays!!).

Yep. They aren't hiring and there's no way he could go right into the right seat of a lear. :)

No had nothing to do with the lear specifically, it was a general overall "wow their pay sucks, I'll stick with the regional" comment.

It depends on where you are at the regionals. First year pay at AMF is around 30. I've been here since December 06 and I make a little under double that. I'm sort of an exception to the rule. Most people who started when I started make anywhere between 35 and 46. Pay still sucks as does it everywhere.:panic:

Back