Departing an Airport's Pattern

That could be interesting considering that the normal piston TPA is 800 or 1000 feet AGL and turbine aircraft pattern altitude is 1500 feet AGL. :)
Which is why I prefer to climb out and away from the pattern before coming back over if that is the direction I have to go

That could be interesting considering that the normal piston TPA is 800 or 1000 feet AGL and turbine aircraft pattern altitude is 1500 feet AGL. :)

Turbojet TPA can be up to 3000 AGL for some planes, so the 500' "accepted standard" is questionable if you have jets operating in the pattern too.

While AIM isn't regulatory, it is the accepted standard, and should be what people are expected to do, and expecting you to do.

Turbojet TPA can be up to 3000 AGL for some planes, so the 500' "accepted standard" is questionable if you have jets operating in the pattern too.

While AIM isn't regulatory, it is the accepted standard, and should be what people are expected to do, and expecting you to do.

This came up today during my flight review and it's always been a bit of a nagging point to me. If you're arriving at an uncontrolled field with intent to perform an overflight prior to entering the pattern, what altitude would you use? I'm particular fond of TPA + 500, but that can put you up into turbojet territory. I'm not certain there's a perfect answer, but differing opinions are always interesting.

This came up today during my flight review and it's always been a bit of a nagging point to me. If you're arriving at an uncontrolled field with intent to perform an overflight prior to entering the pattern, what altitude would you use? I'm particular fond of TPA + 500, but that can put you up into turbojet territory. I'm not certain there's a perfect answer, but differing opinions are always interesting.

TPA itself would work, that way you're not descending into the pattern once there. Big thing is to communicate your intentions and maintain a good visual lookout. Jets are likely to be on freq, so you should know if they're there.

Straight out or a 45 in the pattern direction until clear. What is clear? I eyeball 2 miles from the field, and above piston TPA at the podunk East Texas fields we use. I guess at an airport with a lot more jet traffic you'd have to consider the Jet TPA for your airport.

I never understood why people wanted to circle around and cross mid-field on their way out of town.

"Hey, we should fly out the way others are coming in."

While the AIM may not be "regulatory"... No where in the FARs does it say you need to stop at a hold short line - only the AIM does. I doubt the excuse "well only the AIM says I need to stop - and thats not regulatory" will hold up in a court :rolleyes:

Back