Delta taking over DCI operations in MCO & FLL

H46Bubba

Delta will be taking over all operations including Delta Connection flights in MCO and FLL. Comair will be closing down their once fortress MCO hub September 15th. Comair will close it's FLL station in August.:( Our Heavy MX base in MCO will remain open for 50/70/76 seat a/c heavy mx and MRO work.

I thought we already knew this was happening. MCO I thought was old business. We already knew Comair was showing an increase force in the north east as well? Anyways I dont see how this is really a bad thing. The routes are busy out of MCO and FLL and thus mainline is getting flying back that is theirs? Yes we know this might mean a slight reduction but is it a large reduction? I thought the focus of Comair was the North East and East Coast operations as MCO reductions were announced last year....

Do you mean above and below wing only, or the actual flights too?
ACS above and below wing. No flights. Pretty much all the DCI destinations from MCO and FLL have been or will be abandoned. Comair has been providing ground services for all the DCI carriers, and have slowly moved our flights out of the market, since Chautauqua was awarded most of MCO's DCI flying.

there was comair in FLL?

Yes there was. Comair operated all DCI operations in EYW, MIA, FLL, and MCO which included above and below wing for DCI flights. As a matter of fact, FLL was considered a "focus city" due to the amount of flights which general means in a nut shell not yet a hub but has potential. Due to high fuel prices, DL has reduced DCI flights in FLL to 2 flights a day and like 7(don't quote me) in MCO. With this amount of flights, it just wasn't cost efficient to keep FLL and MCO so Aug 24 is Comair(ACS) last day in FLL and Aug 15 is for MCO. MIA is safe because they do Delta below wing. I am not too sure about EYW. Unfortunately, I am one that was affected first hand but I guess this is what I needed to start making some real money. To all those affected hope everything works out for you guys. I am guessing about 50+ ACS employees are looking at unemployment...

ACS above and below wing. No flights. Pretty much all the DCI destinations from MCO and FLL have been or will be abandoned. Comair has been providing ground services for all the DCI carriers, and have slowly moved our flights out of the market, since Chautauqua was awarded most of MCO's DCI flying.

Hubba were you affected too first hand?

Yes there was. Comair operated all DCI operations in EYW, MIA, FLL, and MCO which included above and below wing for DCI flights. As a matter of fact, FLL was considered a "focus city" due to the amount of flights which general means in a nut shell not yet a hub but has potential. Due to high fuel prices, DL has reduced DCI flights in FLL to 2 flights a day and like 7(don't quote me) in MCO. With this amount of flights, it just wasn't cost efficient to keep FLL and MCO so Aug 24 is Comair(ACS) last day in FLL and Aug 15 is for MCO. MIA is safe because they do Delta below wing. I am not too sure about EYW. Unfortunately, I am one that was affected first hand but I guess this is what I needed to start making some real money. To all those affected hope everything works out for you guys. I am guessing about 50+ ACS employees are looking at unemployment...

man, i'm really sorry to hear that :(

I thought we already knew this was happening. MCO I thought was old business. We already knew Comair was showing an increase force in the north east as well? Anyways I dont see how this is really a bad thing. The routes are busy out of MCO and FLL and thus mainline is getting flying back that is theirs? Yes we know this might mean a slight reduction but is it a large reduction? I thought the focus of Comair was the North East and East Coast operations as MCO reductions were announced last year....
Delta is tightning the belt by reducing money lossing routes such as vacation destinations like Orlando. Most of the passengers are vacationers who get the Orbitz $155 rountrip fare to go to Disney. Since most of Delta's flights in and out of MCO are DCI flights on gas guzzling RJ's they're weeding out the DCI routes. MCO will become a small shell of what it used to be as a Delta spoke hub and will only be served by mainline from ATL, CVG, and JFK (plus whatever hub NWA brings to the new Delta) Look for JB, Southwest and Air Tran to fill in on some routes once offered by Delta. FLL was another mini hub for DCI.

Hubba were you affected too first hand?
I was CS there back in 05, but no I'm in MX now up her in CVG. I know most of the people down there, so it sort of sucks to see people get displaced or leave Comair all together. I heard it's getting to be a ghost town there nowadays.

Thanks for the well wishes. This is what I needed to get my career going as a pilot. It could've been worst, I could not have a job to even get a package so I think I made out fairly well considering the economy right now. Hubba looks like you got out in time. The thing that sux is they were giving retirement packages about a month ago and now those that are eligible for the package but didn't take it for whatever reason are not given that package. They are given less. In other words, those that decided to show loyalty to the company and fight through the storm are getting skrewd with no mercy. gotta love it.....

Back