Delta outs 777 deliveries, and takes in 45 RJs...

Sing it on a C-minor... "Saaaame old storrrrrrrrry..."

[ QUOTE ]
32 CRJs to ASA, Skywest (25, 7 respectively)
13 ERJs to Chautauqua

from Delta's website

[/ QUOTE ]

Well why is Delta buying planes for Skywest and Chautauqua?

Didn't Delta sell there 20% share of stock with Skywest after 9/11?

And as far as I know Delta doesn't have any financial stake in Chautauqua.

So again why is Delta buying planes for other carriers even if they fly for them.

Can these companies not purchase planes for themselves?

Matthew

Because. It's an example to show the other DCI carriers that if you fly them for less, you'll be awarded with shiney new jets (that invariably they can shift to another carrier at their whim). Vis a vis their "request for proposals" they issued to all of the DL connection airlines to see who would fly them for the cheapest cost.

The airline industry is doing all they can to return us to the pre-1940's where pilots and pilot groups would underbid one another in order to make enough money to pay the mortgage.

Gotta read "Flying the Line" to see where the industry came from and where they're trying to lead us back to.

Wow so we pay close to $100,000 for our training to learn how to fly these things and by the time we get the job the industry changes so the best we can hope for is to work our butts off for 20 years to retire as a maxed out captain making $40,000/yr. Sounds great... if you own the airline.

Are there just sooo many pilots that the airlines can give us take it or leave it offers from now on? If 10 pilots are fighting for one seat, wouldnt they give it to the guy who will sit there for the least pay?

I have a question about starting pay at the regionals, etc.:

I've heard it said that we pilots are our own worse enemy when it comes to our future pay rates. Why? Because there's several thousand of us out here and we know it's highly competitive, so we're willing to take whatever is offered to us to get our "break" in the right seat.

How do we change this? How do pilots demand a higher wage if we have nothing to bargain with?

I'd LOVE to be paid well for my services one day - one of the reasons why I'm eyballing a possible Corporate Aviation career (even though I know there are no guarantees there either).

So, what's the answer?

I don't see all of us wannabe's going to interviews and saying "No thanks, I'll only fly for $XX,XXX", because we'd be shown the door and that would effectively be the end of our flying careers.

I don't want to say the regionals have "got us over a barrel", but - well - what can we do to change what we are offered to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft with many, many lives on board?

Any thoughts?

A book about the history of the management versus labor struggle throughout history.

If you look at the 20's and 30's, that's pretty much what the Airline Transport Association wants to rewind the clock to.

But remember, pilot union (ALPA) = "Bad" and Airline Transport Association (more or less an airline mgmt union-style group) = good. At least that's the way the media is told to portray it/us/them.

I think it's time for unions, not just in the aviation industry, but all of them, to go on the offensive. There's a lot of concern with people getting their jobs shipped to Bulgaria or Poland or India these days.

Unions, if they want to, have a great chance to play on those concerns. Get out there, say, if you're unionized, and you've got a contract in place, that means your employer can't move your job to India.

Too many people think of Jimmy Hoffa and the mob and "On The Waterfront" when they think of unions. The folks there need to get a different message out -- we protect American jobs for American workers. That is a message that will sell.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's time for unions, not just in the aviation industry, but all of them, to go on the offensive. There's a lot of concern with people getting their jobs shipped to Bulgaria or Poland or India these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's alot of the problem. In today's economy, most people aren't willing to fight for much - everybody I know is just happy to have a job!

Add that to the fact that many Americans are just too stupid or lazy to care about the things that affect them outside of their little bubble, and we're doomed.

So, what ends up happening is a few of us will fight for all of us.

ASA, Skywest, and CHQ got the jets. These are arguably 3 of the best regionals to work for out there. Comair is missing of course, but if you look at delta growth between asa and comair over the past year, its all been comair. These 45 RJs are not taking place of the 777 and these two things are not related.

I dont think the RJ's have the range of the 777 so those wont be the replacement.

Delta has had 2 VP's leave last week and rumor that Vicki E is on the way out also. I guess when Leo left he said screw the team and now the team is following him. Another Exec VP is retiring June 1. And Virgin is courting the CFO. Looks like Gerry gets to build a team he likes after all.

[ QUOTE ]
Read "Flying the Line"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that book, it is quit detailed! I liked it a lot!

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
These 45 RJs are not taking place of the 777 and these two things are not related.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the RJs won't replace 777s
smirk.gif

I was just simply pointing out the continuing trend of less mainline aircraft, more 'Connection' (Delta RJs) aircraft...

Back