Delta...No one want the early out???

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
Union says 215 Delta Air Lines pilots agree to retire as part of company effort to cut costs

By HARRY R. WEBER , Associated Press
Last update: July 16, 2009 - 12:41 PM

Featured comment

ATLANTA - A small number of Delta Air Lines Inc. pilots — just 215 — have agreed to retire as part of a company incentive program designed to reduce the number of pilots to cut costs, according to a union tally disclosed in a memo to members Thursday.
<!-- End Sidebar --> Of 12,379 pilots at Delta, some 9,400 were eligible to participate.

Delta acquired Northwest Airlines last October to become the world's largest airline operator. Of the 215 pilots who agreed to retire, 201 are pre-merger Northwest pilots and 14 are pre-merger Delta pilots, according to the Air Line Pilots Association.

Pilots with at least 10 years of service as of the end of this year and whose age and years of service added together equal at least 55 could participate by Wednesday's deadline. Those who agreed to retire can revoke their decision if they do so by July 31.

The Atlanta-based company has not said how many pilots it hoped to cut.
Delta spokeswoman Betsy Talton said in an e-mail Thursday that neither the company nor the union has communicated a target for the program.

"We are pleased that those pilots who were interested were able to take advantage of the first voluntary retirement program offered to this workgroup in a number of years," Talton said.

The union has said Delta management offered the voluntary retirement program to address what the company perceives to be a current pilot staffing overage.

Delta, like other airlines, has cut capacity as the economy has weakened and demand for air travel has declined amid the recession. Delta plans to cut international capacity by 15 percent starting in September.

Participating pilots with less than 20 years of service as of Dec. 31 of this year will receive six months of severance pay based on 75 hours of pay per month. A pilot with 20 years or more of service as of the end of this year will receive nine months of severance pay based on 75 hours pay per month.

Participating pilots who enroll in retiree or COBRA medical, dental and vision benefits will receive 100 percent company-paid coverage for the first three months following their retirement date with follow-on retiree coverage as provided by the union's pilot working agreement.

Other benefits also are available.

The airline has cut other staff through voluntary severance programs.

Meanwhile, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. expects to disclose next week how many of its 35,000 employees accepted an early-out offer. The deadline for employees who expressed interest to revoke their application for severance benefits, including cash and travel benefits, was this week. Southwest spokeswoman Beth Harbin said the carrier expects to announce the results of the offer when it releases second-quarter earnings next Tuesday.

Oh, no! Sometimes reality is much more comical than legend.

"Yeh main I saw some NO'WUTH guys wit' no hat on. Don't dey know they gots to way dey hats?!"

215 is FAR more than the VP of Flt Ops was predicting. I heard him say that he didn't think more than 100 would take the deal. He was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think anyone thought that many Delta South would retire early. After all, roughly 2500 already did four years ago.

More, please.

To all Southernjets N & S pilots who are contemplating early retirement: Chicks dig early retired pilots. Short, tall, bald or wookie, it don't matter. You're way hotter when you're retired and less than the mandatory retirement age.

More, please.

To all Southernjets N & S pilots who are contemplating early retirement: Chicks dig early retired pilots. Short, tall, bald or wookie, it don't matter. You're way hotter when you're retired and less than the mandatory retirement age.

I was on the jumpseat yesterday on one of your fine 757s and the crew was SLC based(is there a 757 SLC base?) The Captain said he was taking advantage of the early out. From his accent I could tell he was raised where moonshine was taught in chemistry class. But I guess he loves SLC. Anyway his comment was, "That new guy runnin' da show, is dummer than my second dog." The FO and I were in tears.

I was all over the one they offered frontline people. At my station it was only a ramper and I who took it. Alot more people would of taken it but the medical was the thing that made them stay. 3 months of coverage is nothing.

I was all over the one they offered frontline people. At my station it was only a ramper and I who took it. Alot more people would of taken it but the medical was the thing that made them stay. 3 months of coverage is nothing.

Awesome avatar!

My freshman year at Southernjets when it was still "Mo Betta Chicken", I had to literally wait until two of the checkout girls stopped punching each other and let go of one another's hair until I was able to pay for my meal.

It was like dinner theater. Chicken and a cat fight. Those weaves are tough!

Oh man, that had to be good.

I hope you were cheering them on. "go for the weave, girl! go for the weave! don't take that from her!"

Back