Delta MD-90/Aero Mexicana Fokker 100 weird question (attn: Doug)

aceflyley

Ok, I've got a weird question: A couple of months ago I flew on what I thought was a Delta MD-90 from SLC to DEN, when deplaning in Denver I saw that one of the pilots was african-american. At this point I was at the back of the plane and not wearing my glasses so I didn't get a good enough look to see if it was Doug or not. When I got up to the front said pilot had gone back into the cockpit and I was in a huge hurry (the plane was delayed an hour in SLC) so I didn't really have time to check. I posted on here and asked Doug if he had flown that route that day and he said that he hadn't and that he didn't think that there were any other Delta MD-90 pilots who were black. I did then remember something on the speaker about "this is a skyteam flight operated by partner Aero Mexicana" or somthing like that, but I didn't think much more about it. Fast forward to tonight, I'm surfing around looking at airline sites and I find myself on Aero Mexicana's site. I noticed that they don't fly MD-90s, the only other thing it could have been would be a Fokker 100. I do remember the seats being a different color and in a different lay-out than the previous Delta MD-90s I had flown on, but the plane was painted in Delta colors and the FAs had Delta uniforms on. My questions are: Whats going on here?? Did I fly on a Fokker 100 for the first time without knowing it?? SLC isn't even listed on Aero Mexicana's route map, why are they flying this route? I've been on "partner airline" flights before (Skywest, Air Wisc) but the FAs don't wear Delta or United clothes. I'm confused...

Fast response! Hmm, so you don't know if any other airlines fly delta routes with their planes painted in delta colors?

Also, I just looked up Sky Team and aeromexico is part of it, not mexicana, my bad. Aeromexico flies MD-82/83/87/88s so it probably wasn't a Fokker 100. Still kind of weird...

It's an imposter airline! A group with one plane roaming around pretending to be Delta.. It's clearly the only possible solution.
cool.gif
grin.gif

Edit: Damn! Ruin my theory with an edit why don't you.

[ QUOTE ]
Fast response! Hmm, so you don't know if any other airlines fly delta routes with their planes painted in delta colors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

SLC to DEN is a domestic route which is flown by Delta. I think having AM fly DEN to SLC would be in violation of federal law.

It is simply a code shared flight between Delta and AM. As a sky team member, AM shares several flights through out the U.S with Delta and its other partners. I can definelty tell you that AM does not fly from DEN to SLC.

SLC to DEN is a domestic route which is flown by Delta. I think having AM fly DEN to SLC would be in violation of federal law.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir. It would be a violation.

Yep, a foreign airline flying United States domestic routes is called 'cabotage', and is (and I hope it remains) illegal!

I think they should be able to fly domestic flights - globalisation is happening regardless what we do about it, we can either be a part of it and prosper from its good points, or be isolated.

Additional competion - reducing fares, improving service, reliability, and then the benefits of international trade (peace, free flowing trade (cheaper imports, mroe exports, etc).

Well, this did happen! I'm not making it up! It was a "Delta flight", my tickets said Delta on them, but they said something about aeromexico, the plane was funky, and there's the whole thing about the pilot. Like n77j said, could it have been a code shared flight between Delta and AM?

It was probably a code share flight. However, I am positive that AeroMexico does not use their own equipment to operate DEN-SLC. It was a Delta plane operating in conjunction with AeroMexico. Are you sure it was an MD-90, because they look alot like the MD-88's that Delta has.

Sometimes when there are passengers from one of the codeshare airlines on a Delta jet, they'll say, "Welcome to Delta flight 123, codesharing with Air Nambia 8123" or something similar.

I'm usually reading a checklist when the PA is made so I can't remember the exact verbiage.

Iain! Knucklehead! Cabotage sucks, bro!

[ QUOTE ]
Additional competion - reducing fares, improving service, reliability, and then the benefits of international trade (peace, free flowing trade (cheaper imports, mroe exports, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what we need... fares reduced even more. Don't you realize that is one of the top things that is creating the largest problems for the airlines at the moment?

Cabotage will always do more harm than good.

It depends on who you ask. A lot of European airlines (RyanAir, VirginExpress, VirginBlue, Easyjet, etc.) would probably love to compete in the U.S. markets. However, this could destroy our major airlines, and take many airline jobs away from americans.

The only reason ticket prices are too low is they need to pay for the ineffencies in the system, international competition will force airlines to streamline their system. There will still be plenty of jobs, some one has to fly them, push them back, load them, etc. If our airlines are the best then we have nothing to worry about right??

I was on a NWA flight that had a Continental flighht number and then transferred to a KLM flight that had an NWA flight number. The codesharing isn't that unusual. But, it can freak you out if you aren't expecting to be flown by a partner.

Cabotage is just bad for the industry as a whole in so many ways.

Also- you can tell if you're on a Fokker by looking at the cabin windows, if they're oval, it's a Fokker, if they're rectangular, it's a MD-80.

Back