Delta may be the choice for me

Red_Baron

I believe that I will be attending Delta Connection in October.... I would be happy to hear any comments or emails, good or bad about it! Is anyone else out there looking to attend DCA?

I started geting info on 14 different schools and some how narrowed it down to DCA and FSI

Same boat. See ya there perhaps.
laugh.gif

Both are really good schools. I went to Comair, now DCA, and I was trained well, and I think I got my money's worth. FSI also has a good reputation, but I've never been to the General Aviation side of their training. I did a lot of 727 stuff with Boeing/Flight Safety in Miami, and I thought it was pretty good.

If you don't give it your 100% effort, it doesn't matter which school you go to, because it will be an expensive drain which won't leave you happy. However, if you really bust your backside, and soar, you will do fine at either one of these.

Comair(yeah, I know, DCA) would be my first choice, simply because I went there, and I know it's good and solid. But if for some reason you chose to go with FSI, it's a good choice, too. Some people like a Ford, some like a Chevy........I like Dodge.

It is interesting to see that at least in Fl that the 2 main schools to love or hate are FSI and DCA. I asked this on the ERAU thread, I have talked to the DCA people and 1 applicant and am leaning towards the FOFT program at ERAU due to my age (43) and free housing availabe to me. ATP would probably be my 1st choice if I was a little younger and I could get weekend or late afternoon instructing work but I was downsized at my present job so will have to leave the Northern Va area anyway. Am I headed the wrong way if my 1st choice is to fly rejionals?

Sky-
What is FOFT? Some kind of First Officer flight training?

I don't know anything about that.

What part of Virginia are you from, my Dad went to High School in Annondale, and I just moved to FL from Richmond.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people like a Ford, some like a Chevy........I like Dodge.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't mean Dave Dodge, do ya?
smile.gif
That guy owes me a dollar for when I sprung for his hotel shuttle tip. I think he's on the 737-300 in SLC now.

No-
I've got a Durango.

So far I'm pretty much at the break even point of guys who I have sprung the buck for, to guys who have covered me. It's funny, before I became a pilot, I never used to tip the driver, but now, it's second nature.

[ QUOTE ]
, I have talked to the DCA people and 1 applicant and am leaning towards the FOFT program at ERAU due to my age (43) and free housing availabe to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read about the FOFT at ERAU, now called CAPT, I think this is the third name for it. You pay $65K for pvt- comm-me ( not sure if it includes the CSEL) No CFI's. IF you have your Comm-ME you pay around $35K for no ratings at all. Then what? What do they have for you at the end of the line? Plus its somewhere around $800+ that you have to spend to see if they'll even accept you to their program.
If I am wrong on this please let me know. This is my view of the program.

I do find it funny that ERAU is going to have to do the program in Daytona now Vs. St.Augustine because the the Airport in St. Aug woudlnt sign a lease with ERAU after many of the airport tenants threatened to leave if ERAU came.

[ QUOTE ]
Sky-
What is FOFT? Some kind of First Officer flight training?

Correct. Says they take both AB initio and com MEL

What part of Virginia are you from, my Dad went to High School in Annondale, and I just moved to FL from Richmond.

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved from Central Fl (Orlando?Eustis/Leesburg) and before that Clearwater, to Winchester 2 years ago but just got downsized. It is either move again for a lower salary or take the last opportunity to look at flying before I get too old.

"From what I read about the FOFT at ERAU, now called CAPT, I think this is the third name for it. You pay $65K for pvt- comm-me ( not sure if it includes the CSEL) No CFI's. IF you have your Comm-ME you pay around $35K for no ratings at all. Then what? What do they have for you at the end of the line? Plus its somewhere around $800+ that you have to spend to see if they'll even accept you to their program. "

All Correct except they do say you do get Comm MEL and the ATP written.

"I do find it funny that ERAU is going to have to do the program in Daytona now Vs. St.Augustine because the the Airport in St. Aug woudlnt sign a lease with ERAU after many of the airport tenants threatened to leave if ERAU came. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct again although I did not know about the reason until now. Good to know.

That CAPT ad that Riddle is running in the magazines makes me laugh, but it is really not that funny if you think about it. What good is it to spend that money, WHEN NO ONE IS HIRING. There is simply not that much of a market for the 300 hour wonder anymore. I don't see any shortcuts in todays market. Times are tough and you have to pay your dues. Spend the money to get your CFI ratings and start building time. Then even if you don't make it to the regionals anytime soon, you can at least get paid to fly.

Back