Delta hiring?

<---- goes to update his times on airlineapps and thinks happy thoughts

You've got balls Ethan. It's a lousy time to be somebody else's furlough insurance. I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of anybody's list right now.

You've got balls Ethan. It's a lousy time to be somebody else's furlough insurance. I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of anybody's list right now.

Having balls is deciding to stay at a regional airline in this climate. Being "senior" at a regional is a false sense of security IMO...especially long term.

This merger screws me I think. I had a personal recommendation for a Northwest slot, the HR people called me, and told me I'd have the job if I was 23 with an ATP, or had a college degree, I hoping on waiting it out, and seeing what happened, but I am not entirely sure that's an option now.

Zap, I agree with you in a sense, but on the other hand, I'm going to only be 27 in a week, I've got no family commitments and I've got a pretty sure thing internationally if I need it (although not for a career). Delta has been in my top 4 places I'd like to work since I got into this field and it would be silly for me NOT to try to make it happen, even IF the industry is garbage right now.

I flew with plenty of J4J guys who, despite being stuck at a regional were still VERY happy that they had a spot on a mainline seniority list which, some day, they could return to. Granted, the J4J was a pretty good deal as it meant not starting over at the bottom. Hell, the senior ones even had slotted bidding which meant the most senior J4J bid number 2 company wide.

This merger screws me I think. I had a personal recommendation for a Northwest slot, the HR people called me, and told me I'd have the job if I was 23 with an ATP, or had a college degree, I hoping on waiting it out, and seeing what happened, but I am not entirely sure that's an option now.

Wait what out? That NW would drop the requirement of being at least 23 with an ATP and/or college degree? You'll need those same things at Delta. I don't see how this changes anything for you. Plus, you still have a personal recc from a Delta pilot now.

Or did you forget to add some of these to your post?----:sarcasm:

Wait what out? That NW would drop the requirement of being at least 23 with an ATP and/or college degree? You'll need those same things at Delta. I don't see how this changes anything for you. Plus, you still have a personal recc from a Delta pilot now.

Or did you forget to add some of these to your post?----:sarcasm:

But will it even count now? What if he gets furloughed between then and now? I dunno, I'm not sure its a good thing for me.

But will it even count now? What if he gets furloughed between then and now? I dunno, I'm not sure its a good thing for me.

I'm sure when the time comes it will still count. Plus if he gets furloughed DAL won't be hiring so then his recommendation won't matter much anyway right. He would be recalled before hiring resumed so then his recommendation would matter!

If I were you I would worry a lot more about making your application as competitive as possibly by getting your college degree, your ATP, interview prep, networking as much as possible, knowing regs, etc. A letter of recommendation can't get you a job. It can potentially get you an interview (if you qualify for said airline's hiring criteria), but you still have to perform in the interview to get a job offer.

Worry about the factors you can control right?

Just so you understand the NWA process, HR called everyone they intended on interviewing for a prescreening (over the phone). If you met their criteria they invited you to MSP for a face to face interview which included the normal airline interview type stuff (I signed a confidentiallity agreement so I won't ellaborate, you can find the info online if you are interested...it's out there!). If you were successful they had you submitt info for a background check and brought you back to MSP at a later date for a medical screening.

Of course now that the merger has been completed the process will more than likely reflect the DAL process.

Guess you're right Ethan. I didn't participate in J4J (by choice) so I really can't comment on whether that program was a success or failure for the furloughees.

Best of luck to you. If I were young and single i'd most likely attempt to do the same thing.

Back