Delta GPU connect fire SEA

I'm still waiting for that one pilot, who has seen something awry from the jumpseat, that 100% of the time didn't say a peep to a trusted colleague or tell a sanitized version over a beer.

I'm sure someone eventually will pop-up and lie through their teeth that they watched a crew do a Vmc roll on approach into DCA (hypothetically), shook the crews hand, thanked them for the jumpseat and it neeeeeeeeeeever came up over beers or subsequent cockpit chat.

Wait til you find out a certain Air Line at SEA blew slides for a ground power receptacle fire. Evac’ed pax with carry on bags of course.

There is no way a small ground power receptacle fire would have consumed the entire aircraft or otherwise warranted an evac, a real jumpseater would have told them that!

:)

You do know that ground evacuations will happen with or without direction from the crew, yes?

Not in this case, no one in the cabin would know there’s an issue with the ground power receptacle outside. It’s not visible from the cabin windows by pax or FAs.

Virtual airline shop had a similar story at the gate. Luckily, no evacuation. The CA took the flight deck halon extinguisher and blasted it out the FO sliding window, towards the ground power receptacle fire. Learning lesson - at least on the 737 - is that the CA should have taken the overhead panel ground power switch and flipped it to the OFF position.

Not in this case, no one in the cabin would know there’s an issue with the ground power receptacle outside. It’s not visible from the cabin windows by pax or FAs.

Virtual airline shop has a similar story at the gate. Luckily, no evacuation. The CA took the flight deck halon extinguisher and blasted it out the FO sliding window, towards the ground power receptacle fire. Learning lesson - at least on the 737 - is that the CA should have taken the ground power switch and flipped it to the OFF position.

So tell me what, apparently, flight standards hasn't communicated to the line check pilots at the "Air Line"? I'm sure SouthernJets Flight Safety called to brief the "virtual airline".

Share, share!

You do know that ground evacuations will happen with or without direction from the crew, yes?
Yup!

There's a famous story from way back in the USAir days of a 737 in TPA. Apparently one of the engines torched during start up and momentarily shot a flame out the back. A commuting flight attendant sitting over the wing saw and decided to initiate and evacuation. The cockpit had no idea and continued to start the other engine. It wasn't until TPA Ground called up and said, "Uh...USAir, you have people coming out of the back of your airplane."

But you're right. It could NEVER happen with the right captain in COMMAND!

Virtual airline shop had a similar story at the gate. Luckily, no evacuation. The CA took the flight deck halon extinguisher and blasted it out the FO sliding window, towards the ground power receptacle fire. Learning lesson - at least on the 737 - is that the CA should have taken the overhead panel ground power switch and flipped it to the OFF position.

What does your QRH say for GPU outlet fire?

Is there a memory item for fire on the ground? Does is quantity small fire or five alarm fire?

Just curious, do ANY of these rampers know how to use a flightline fire extinguisher? They are located on the ramp under nearly every jetway, ranging from 150lb units to 300lb units. These kinds of situations are the exact reason they are located there. Why have them at all, if personnel are either not trained how to use them, or simply don’t use them, but instead run around in a disorganized manner and accomplishing nothing?

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=h9r17ccUn8U

You're not going after the nearly 6-minute ARFF arrival time?

The Good: Not that many bags seen
The Bad: "Let me get this on video!"

And of course, sucks to see it be one of the good jets. CNN (probably) reporting that a Boeing caught fire, though.

I saw this on social media. It was passenger cell phone video from the interior. I was like "oh god what now."

So tell me what, apparently, flight standards hasn't communicated to the line check pilots at the "Air Line"? I'm sure SouthernJets Flight Safety called to brief the "virtual airline".

Share, share!

Yup!

There's a famous story from way back in the USAir days of a 737 in TPA. Apparently one of the engines torched during start up and momentarily shot a flame out the back. A commuting flight attendant sitting over the wing saw and decided to initiate and evacuation. The cockpit had no idea and continued to start the other engine. It wasn't until TPA Ground called up and said, "Uh...USAir, you have people coming out of the back of your airplane."

I hate when otherwise intelligent JC members start acting dense and thick.

Flames shooting out the airplane engine are 100% viewable by anyone sitting over the wing and behind the wing. Yes, that can result in a pax or FA initiated evacuation.

Now. A ground power receptacle, an opening of about 6” x 6” is located on the front right side of the aircraft, on the right side under the flight deck. There is zero view of this location by pax or FAs. The flames associated with this would not be visible to anyone inside the cabin. The rear slide seems to blow first. There’s no way anyone in the rear of the cabin smelled that fire or smoke.

My comment about the virtual airline was that a similar fire happened here. No evac. CA made a choice to use the halon extinguisher and spray it outside from the FO window. You can guess how effective that was. The FOQA alert at the shop said, don’t forget that the ground power switch can be moved to the off position.

Ground power - off.
External power jetbridge - off
Or
External power cart - off

It is insane to Evac over this. You blow a slide, your are guaranteed injuries in the evac process. A ground power receptacle power is easily dealt by removing the power source from the airplane and from the external source.

Yup!

Cold start? First start of the day?

You're not going after the nearly 6-minute ARFF arrival time?

The Good: Not that many bags seen
The Bad: "Let me get this on video!"

And of course, sucks to see it be one of the good jets. CNN (probably) reporting that a Boeing caught fire, though.
Was it six minutes after the initial call or six muniutes into the event, when no one called for the first three or four minutes?

Just curious, do ANY of these rampers know how to use a flightline fire extinguisher? They are located on the ramp under nearly every jetway, ranging from 150lb units to 300lb units. These kinds of situations are the exact reason they are located there. Why have them at all, if personnel are either not trained how to use them, or simply don’t use them, but instead run around in a disorganized manner and accomplishing nothing?

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=h9r17ccUn8U
Ugh ... maybe no one felt it was "their job?"

Looks like a simple enough mitigation initially, if someone noted and acted appropriately.

Ugh ... maybe no one felt it was "their job?"

Looks like a simple enough mitigation initially, if someone noted and acted appropriately.

It is simple. Even if shutting off power from the source, there will still likely be some residual flames. A flightline extinguisher has about a 20-30 foot reach, so don’t even need to get near the connection receptacle, and would probably use less than 2 lbs of the 150/300lb wheeled halon/halotron bottle.

Instead, all that’s missing here in this video is the Benny Hill clown show music.

[posts from UAL/SWA FIGHT thread moved to here. No need to drag DAL into the UAL/SWA mortal combat! Yer OFF mah jumpseat!] :)

Video title says “Video shows moments when nose of delta plane briefly catches fire at SEA”

Hm. There was nothing brief about this fire…. Unless the definition of “brief” means the whole plane not being fully involved.

Back