Delta Connection Academy

Can I go there straight out of college?

Yes you could. But I wouldn't. They are way overpriced. Find something local. How old are you? If I were you I'd get my parents to take me to the local FBO or flight school to check things out. :)

I'm 14 right now. I want to do my homework right now so I can be a pilot later.

Good on you for doing your homework. Thing is, you've got plenty of time to make the decision. In fact, I'd say try getting your ratings while you're still in high school is it's financially possible. I have a feeling the cost of flight training isn't going to get any cheaper.

As for DCA, I almost went there or any number of the academies that have ads in all the magazines. There are cheaper options out there, and in the end the name on the door of the flight school really doesn't matter. If you find an instructor you get along with, that's more important than where you do your flight training. Don't be pulled in by the "being owned by Delta is everything" marketing scheme. Just about every school marketing dept will tell you they're the best and have the best connections. Truth is, they're all about the same. You've got good instructors and bad instructors at every school and FBO out there.

My advice is to research a lot of schools and pick the one that fits you best while keeping the costs as low as possible. Don't be in a rush to get everything done, either. Aviation will still be here in a few years. In fact, the way things are going right now, the longer you wait in the short term, the better it may be in the long term. A lot of those guys that took the JetU/gethirednowbutpayustonsofcash route last year are looking at a pile of debt and no job right now.

Is there a particular reason you're looking at going to DCA at such a young age? Academies like that are typically used by those who want to get through quick and are older in age (the reason for the quick push). Plus, DCA is overpriced in my opinion.

You have more than plenty of time to solo by 16 and get most of your ratings while in college by going the FBO route. Plus, you'd save probably over $50K as well.

Going to an aviation college (besides Emry Riddle since they're SO darn expensive now) isn't a bad idea either but I, personally, advocate getting a degree that is not aviation related since the industry is always fluxuating. having a degree outside of something aviation, that you can fall back on during hard times (like these) is what i always tell people to strive for... but that's just my opinion.

Even being a "DCA Apologist" I would recommend that you go to college first. DCA works very well for some people and might be a good option for you. But do not make that decision before going through college. As everyone else said here, do your homework. Good luck and hope to see you in the skies a few years from now!

"So there's nothing good to be said about DCA"

Yeah. "Being owned by Delta means everything"....

I'm 14 right now. I want to do my homework right now so I can be a pilot later.

the most economical route would be for you to do your training at a small flght school or FBO. i did all my training at a small 141 school. i soloed on my 16th birthday, private and instrument checkrides on 17th birthday, multi commercial on 18th birthday, and im taking the MEI on thursday. so my advice to you is to start your training when your in high school and find a nice small school. they may not get you done as fast as dca but youl save alot of money. plus where young we have plenty of time to get through the school no need to rush. good luck

I heard a couple days ago that DCA sold to a company called GTI out of NY, same company that almost bought FSA a few months back... any truth to that?

I heard a couple days ago that DCA sold to a company called GTI out of NY, same company that almost bought FSA a few months back... any truth to that?

I've heard that rumor, too, but have yet to get a confirmation from anyone "in the know."

Back