Delta at Airshow

I've seen Delta 757's at a few larger airshows. They have been doing it for 3 years at least.

Good PR in my opinion. Reletively cheap and it make the company seem more personal to the public.

At the Cleveland Airshow at Burke there are always Continental 737's that you can go in and take pics of the cockpit and what not.

Delta usually sends the pink 757 or Ship 41, the DC-3 to airshows. Been doing it for a few years.

n23327601_34190933_3835.jpg

Cleveland airshow a few years ago at BKL.

I read an article in AIRLINERS a few years ago all about Delta's airshow team. At one point in time not long ago they had a whole team dedicated to airshows and sparking interest in aviation with children, I believe it was usually N102DA, "The Spirit of Delta" that they would bring to the shows, which is of course the 767-200 that was purchased out of the pockets of Delta's employees.
:tmyk:

I believe it was usually N102DA, "The Spirit of Delta" that they would bring to the shows, which is of course the 767-200 that was purchased out of the pockets of Delta's employees.

102DA doesn't fly anymore, but if you can find (bribe) a Delta employee to take you into the Delta Heritage Museum at the Worldport, you can go inside her and check out the displays. You can also walk all around it and pretend that you are doing to pre-flight!

Keyword a couple of years ago ;). I think that story ran in '02 or '03, now it looks like the Breast Cancer Awareness 752 attends some airshows. Not sure if they still have a dedicated airshow team, Doug would probably know.

I've seen N610DL (Pink 757) at DAY a few times among other places. I was happy to see it at Selfridge!

Not sure if they still have a dedicated airshow team, Doug would probably know.

Yes and no. Ship 41 has a dedicated crew but supposedly any 767 pilot can bid, (or ask) to fly the airshow. However, in practice, unless you are a perfumed prince, you ain't flying no stinkin' airshow.

067.jpg

Ahh yes, the "perfumed princes"

"What you pilot's gotta realize..."

"Hey, aren't YOU a pilot, buddy?"

I see a Delta classic nearly every day where I work. N728DA, the last Delta L-1011 that flew the last revenue flight and last flight at all in August 2001, sits here at Pinal Airpark on the west side of the field, still with it's faded "Delta Belle" noseart, although many of the employee signatures have since faded away in the sun. She is slowly being picked clean for parts.

Almost every year at the Ft Worth airshow at Alliance, American rolls out and opens up a 777 for display. Last year they had an Eagle 145 as well.

Yes and no. Ship 41 has a dedicated crew but supposedly any 767 pilot can bid, (or ask) to fly the airshow. However, in practice, unless you are a perfumed prince, you ain't flying no stinkin' airshow.

I have flown with a couple of guys that are part of the "Delta Airshow Team". The only way to become a part of it is to be an LCA (line check airman) or some other job from the Puzzle Palace. The reason why a regular line pilot can't fly it is because of the PWA (the contract). All airshow flights are Pro Bono and the contract says we have to be payed anytime we operate the aircraft. However, pretty much any employee can ride along as long as there are less than 19 pax.

I have flown with a couple of guys that are part of the "Delta Airshow Team". The only way to become a part of it is to be an LCA (line check airman) or some other job from the Puzzle Palace. The reason why a regular line pilot can't fly it is because of the PWA (the contract). All airshow flights are Pro Bono and the contract says we have to be payed anytime we operate the aircraft. However, pretty much any employee can ride along as long as there are less than 19 pax.

So those guys really do fly for food on airshow runs? :D

How exciting that must be...

We had an Eagle ERJ drop in on a regional NIFA competition at a non-towered, 5,000 foot field. Of course this was a couple years ago when they were hiring at 450/50.

Back