Delta and the 737-200....

N940AM

I know that DL has had the 737-200's on the Express Side, but it seems now they are back to the mainline..We dont have DL Express around here so I am not familiar with its status...Anyone know on how long they plan on keeping them around for...It is nice to see the old classic in the new DL livery..Thanks

I believe that Delta Express was cancelled when Delta introduced Song. Now all of their 737-200's are mainline.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that DL has had the 737-200's on the Express Side, It is nice to see the old classic in the new DL livery..Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually just my opinion but I think Delta should get rid of the old 737-200's and purchase/lease B-737-700's.

As they are a far superior aircraft to the old 200's.

But then again I think that Delta should be the launch customer for the 7E7.....bah.

Matthew

Agreed...The 700 is a better model, but I suppose that a bird in the hanger is a good thing as well...I still think that the 200 is a pretty neat old bird...I am liking the 800's with the huge winglets..ATA has some that are pretty wild looking...

Yes the 737-800's totally rock. But my favorite NG 737is without a doubt the 737-900.

I see them in PHX. in CO paint often and like last year sometime when I was in SLC a friend of mine who works there for Continental gave myself and Corrie a tour of a 900 parked at the gate.

All I can say about the plane is wow.

It'd be really nice to see a 737-900 in Delta paint as well.

Matthew

ok so i m not up on all the difference between the 737's whats the difference from a between all of them, -100,-200 and so on. thanks

-200 has the torpedo looking, screaming engines. The -700, -800, and -900 are the newest ones, hence they are 737NG (next generation). The -500 I THINK might be in the category, but it looks like a -200 with the newer engines.

The 737-500 is a "classic" series 737.

The Next Gen 737's start with the 600 series and go all the way up to the 900.

The real big difference between the "classic series 737" 100-500 series and the NG series 600-900 is that the NG series have updated avionics, larger, rounder more powerful CFM engines.

A newer, longer more aerodynamic wing allowing the plane to be far more fuel efficient and fly longer,higher and faster then the competing Airbus A320 series of aircraft (thought I'd plug that
grin.gif
).

Not to mention the updated cockpit complete with either 6-8 large LCD EFIS panels. And an updated passenger cabin reminesant of the 777 with larger over head bins and the such.

All together the new 737's are great but I think that with the new NG's they (Boeing) have done all they can to eek more life outa that 70's airframe.

So they should serious start considering a replacement to the a 737 in the next 10 yrs. or so.

Matthew

I agree, Boeing has done plenty with that airframe...I suppose that when you have a great thing going, stick with it...I can imagine that the 900 was just amazing, we dont see those around here at all...I am wondering if Boeing has any future plans for the 717..I have not got to see one close up, but I hear that they are an excellent aircraft. I wish that I still worked for Midwest (Express) I believe that they have converted most of the fleet over to the 717..I spent allot of time on the D9's the 717 was only a rumor around there at the time...

Im sure the big reason they have them flying is not that the -200 is better, but the fact that its paid for!

Yep. Who can afford new planes right now? Not very many. Even if Delta puts in orders for new planes right now and something unexpected happens to the industry before they take delivery...what a mess that'd be.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would really like to see it in AA colors.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would really like to see it in AA colors.

[/ QUOTE ] Didn't see that coming.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Im sure the big reason they have them flying is not that the -200 is better, but the fact that its paid for!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm quite sure that is the only reason that they are in fact still flying.

But those old JT9D engines are old and loud and not all all fuel effiecent even with the hush kits on them.

I expected Delta to retire the 737-200's along with the 727 for the very same reason.

Or at least to have Comair or ASA pick up the routes that might be normally serviced by the 737-200 as CRJ's are more fuel efficent then the old 200 workhorses.

In the end I believe the 737-200 to be more of a liability then an asset to a modern fleet with high ratio bypass turbofans not to mention passenger comfort.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
Ummmmm yeah AA has no real colors/livery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, yea, what about the colors of America??? Hence the name, American Airlines.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm yeah AA has no real colors/livery.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmmm whatever!

502903.jpg

Okay to clarify what I meant is that the majoirty of there plane is polished aluminum with 3 mere stripes of RED,WHITE & BLUE. From front to back....(yawn).

Matthew

I agree with that, the paint does not make the plane..American has a very good and simple livery, it makes good business sense...Just ask the management at TWA..Beautiful scheme, but not too much help in the budget..I am not sure, but I believe that AA has had only two schemes since their existance...Could that be right???

Back