Deer on the runway

nanjason

Last night I had a very close call. On landing, just as the main wheels squeaked, I saw (at least) 2 deer straight ahead, just coming into the landing light illuminated aread. They were too close to stop without hitting, so I made the decision to jam the throttle and go around. I cleared them by no more than 5 feet. It all turned out ok, but boy did it get my pulse racing!

My home airport is notorious for deer. Trees parallel to the runway on one side, and it's far enough away from traffic to make it Bambi's playground at night. My question is - do you think the risk of doing a low pass to scare away any wildlife, at night, is a low enough risk maneuver compared with the alternative?

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - do you think the risk of doing a low pass to scare away any wildlife, at night, is a low enough risk maneuver compared with the alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'd say so. It was a routine procedure at the airport where I got my private due to the overpopulation of deer in that area.

I agree. After seeing what deer can do to a car traveling 45 mph, I'd hate to see a plane or its occupants after hitting one at 60 kts. Scare those guys into the next county!

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - do you think the risk of doing a low pass to scare away any wildlife, at night, is a low enough risk maneuver compared with the alternative?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. One of the two airports I fly out of is a tiny uncontrolled field - there are deer in the vicinity at night and at dawn on a constant basis, esp this time of year. A lot of people will do just as you mentioned (make a low pass first).

I almost hit an alligator one day in the King Air. Probably wouldn't do as much damage as a deer but it was still kinda' sucky.

Jason

A couple guys hit an elk in a small jet during their take off roll at KAST. They got out in time but the whole thing went up in flames.

In the sim once, the sim instructor said, "umm, there's a deer on the runway"

The captain says, "Well, sorry but that *expletive deleted* is going to take one for the team, and I'm having some venison sausage for bkfast."

This accident happened in Chicago when I was starting my training. Luckily, the NTSB pinpointed the probable cause and we can all learn from it. (and it did take over 4mos to determine it )

NTSB Identification: CHI02LA115. The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number DMS.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, April 01, 2002 in Lake in Hills, IL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 8/28/02
Aircraft: Cessna 551, registration: N502CL
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

The airplane struck a deer during an aborted takeoff. The pilot stated that, during the takeoff roll, he and the second pilot saw five deer on the north side of the runway. He said that they aborted the takeoff but during roll out, at 60 kts, another deer, that was on the south side of the runway, ran into the path of the airplane. The pilot stated that the takeoff was was being performed at early dawn.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The deer on the runway.

Colgan tagged a deer on the runway in a 1900C here at BHB. I saw the mess it was pretty nasty! Bent one of the blades and another was knocked off.

NTSB Report

At night, when there is pilot controlled lighting, turn it up and down and up and down. That usually scatters them. I almost hit a guy once, wandering drunk on a runway in the middle of nowhere at 2am. I was going around and the guy flying with me says to teach him a lesson, we held it about 20 feet off and went full power right over the top of him.

[ QUOTE ]
The captain says, "Well, sorry but that *expletive deleted* is going to take one for the team, and I'm having some venison sausage for bkfast."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's freakin' hiliarious. I'd like to fly with that Captain.

Surf

I've seen deer at a lot of GA airports. Some even mention them as a hazard in airport guides.

I've also seen large turtles on the runways at some Florida airports. Deer have the advantage of being able to scatter quickly. Even a panicked turtle is not going to do anything quickly.

Came into work one morning to get a call that a pilot had hit a deer with his left engine on a baron at midnight the night before. Me and my coworker had to trek out down the taxi way to find a deer with a HUGE gash in its mid-section. It's guts were all over the taxiway. We had to drag it off. Scoop its guts with a shovel then call the airport authority to come dispose of it as the Vultures were already circling overhead. Not a fun way to start a morning.

It actuually did very little damage to the baron. He had to give it a real good cleaning and had it checked out by an A&P but it really only left some blood and guts on the plane.

I've chased many a aligator off the runway too.

Back