Declining fuel price questions...

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Have not noticed as rapid a decline in 100LL prices as there has been for MoGas at the local station. I'm guessing that's because there is less 100LL produced, so the flow is slower and the gas that was bought a few weeks ago is still in the tanks - hasn't been replaced with cheaper gas yet.

But I don't know. Was just wondering...

Which is stupid, because there is a MUCH higher markup on 100LL than mogas. Their justification is that business has been slow. Hmm...I wonder why business has been slow?? Prices maybe?

IMHO, if I was running the joint, I'd take a cut in my margin to get the expensive stuff out of the system in the hopes business would pick back up when I can further lower my prices. The FBOs at my airport have done that and guess what...people have been flying more. Gee whiz, who would have ever thought that would have happened?

Some of these FBOs just exhibit no business sense whatsoever.

Have not noticed as rapid a decline in 100LL prices as there has been for MoGas at the local station. I'm guessing that's because there is less 100LL produced, so the flow is slower and the gas that was bought a few weeks ago is still in the tanks - hasn't been replaced with cheaper gas yet.

But I don't know. Was just wondering...

That is the reason. It will get sold eventually.

I'm sure FBOs all around have a perfectly good reason... probably legalized extortion. But... 100LL is only produced by 10 or so refineries and only a few weeks a year. So if they made it with oil at $110, it might be a while til they make it with $70/brl. But yeah... heres a good article from AvWeb.

Of course rental rates will never go down...

But at the FBO I work at, we just went from $5.65 to $4.50 a gallon!

I've seen 100LL go way down at a few places and not go down at all at others. I think the slow paced FBO's bought gas at X price and need to sell it for Y to break even. Some high end places just get away with selling avgas at a greatly inflated price. Always have, always will. Then, you'll find a few places that move a lot of gas and are able to pass the new lower prices on to the consumer. For example. Big Bear is down to 3.50. They always have the lowest prices in SoCal. Hesperia and Thermal are around $4.50. I've seen them both come down .50 cents in the last two to three months. So, the movement is there.

If you are looking for the best deal in avgas. Check www.airnav.com

The little guys will go down when they get a new shipment. They may keep fuel for months before being sold. And they won't sell it at a loss either, so they are still selling it at the price they had 2 months ago when they bought the gas.

Around here the cheapest place is the one with the most recent shipment. $4.00 a gallon at KOWK self serve. Lots of students doing cross countries there this week;) There will be a place under $4/gal next week someplace.

Burlington went down by a buck since John and I went.

Damn! 4.08 a gallon!

AUS is still over 5.00 a gallon at Signature or Atlantic. But you can find sub-$4.00 a gallon if you look around.

I use 100LL.com to check fuel prices, and my GPS gets downloads for cheap fuel, too.

I gassed up at 3.78 in LBX on the Texas coast on Sunday.

Edit: HOLY HELL my gas up spot (XBP) just got a new load in!!! $3.00 down from $3.89!!! WAHOO!

There's a picture of me next to a Cessna 152 in the summer of 1998 talking with my instructor.

100LL was $2.23 a gallon, and we thought it was a giant scam.

Back