• Piedmont

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Skywest

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

FlySooner9

Some of you may know my story from some of my posts around here. For those that don't, im currently flying pt 91 corporate, its a good job but only flying at best 200 hours a year. My ultimate career goal is to fly for American. My total time is relatively low yet at 3,300 hours. So staying at my current job flying 200 hours a year i risk not getting hired at a major for a very long time. Due to this i have decided to make the jump back to the regionals, primarily to increase my time building faster. I previously was a regional for a few years and was able to build over 1,000 hours pt 121 time, because of this i qualify for the DEC programs that are popping up all around the regionals. Unfortunately due to financial reasons i really can only consider regionals that have a DEC program. I have included Skywest though as recently they have had instant upgrades for qualified new hires. I also have an app in at Spirit but haven't heard anything. Few other details about me im 28, live and will commute out of KOKC, and married with a 6 week old son. I have attached a brief synopsis of some pros and cons i came up with for each choice. Im really struggling with choosing which direction i want to go. I would appreciate any insightful thoughts/advice from this very knowledgeable group. Thanks!

Attachments

• airline comparison.jpg
    airline comparison.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 367
Have you thought about Omni?

First year pay is pushing $90k and they are home based. Obvious downsides include the potential for being gone for up to 18 days in a row, and fairly low flight time per month.

Have you thought about Omni?

First year pay is pushing $90k and they are home based. Obvious downsides include the potential for being gone for up to 18 days in a row, and fairly low flight time per month.

Yeah I’ve pretty well eliminated any ACMI or Omni due to the very long trips and difficulty communicating with family while on the other side of the world.

Understood. I will say, from what I've heard, the split trips (ie 9on/6off) tend to go junior at Omni. As for the communication, I have used tmobile around the globe and it cheap and effective.

Understood. I will say, from what I've heard, the split trips (ie 9on/6off) tend to go junior at Omni. As for the communication, I have used tmobile around the globe and it cheap and effective.
Hmm I haven’t heard of the split trip schedule. It’s not really connectivity that concerns me just the time change when it comes to communication.

Hmm I haven’t heard of the split trip schedule. It’s not really connectivity that concerns me just the time change when it comes to communication.
I'm not an ACMI guy, but I've been working in Eastern Europe for almost a decade. I've traveled to many places, and I assure you you get used to the time differences. I'm not saying it's always easy, but you learn to deal with it. The connectivity, until T-Mobile came along, was the biggest battle I had, as I'm sure many others travelling can attest to.

Best of luck with your decision!

Have you read into the reserve language in each respective contract (pdt env) or whatever agreement skywest has

If your goal is to work at AA then I would go with Envoy (or Piedmont). But then again what do I know if flows actually worked I’d be at Continental . That being said if your just now venturing into the regional world for sure pick one of those two, at least you have a chance of getting to AA if you pick one with a flow..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have you read into the reserve language in each respective contract (pdt env) or whatever agreement skywest has
I’m very familiar with Envoy as I use to work there and was on reserve for 3 years. Piedmont sounds pretty basic although terrible. Always a 0500-1700 period and a 90 min call out. Skywest is the one I’m least familiar with. Supposedly there’s some loop home the company is using to make life really bad.

I hate commuting.

But, that being said, once you get past 1st yr pay your takehome is probably much greater than the selections in the poll, from the view from the right. And there is something to be said for having your uniform wings/plane/paycheck logos all match.

I just wouldn't close any doors.

LGA 145 reserve or PHL 145 reserve
Essentially, however there is a good chance I could hold a line for a while at PDT. However depending on how long I spend at a regional envoy provides the ability to get an easier commute out of ORD or even eventually DFW.

PDT is opening a CLT base (will start off small I'm sure). I'm waiting to see if PSA offers a 45K bonus for semi-DEC's or not. Because we are just as behind as Envoy/Piedmost. There are around 200 FO's bypassing upgrade at the moment. I'd say 75% of our upgrade classes are guys who just hit 1000 hrs 121, new hires from other regionals w/ the time, and 25% is forced "senior man" guys.

I'm not an ACMI guy, but I've been working in Eastern Europe for almost a decade. I've traveled to many places, and I assure you you get used to the time differences. I'm not saying it's always easy, but you learn to deal with it. The connectivity, until T-Mobile came along, was the biggest battle I had, as I'm sure many others travelling can attest to.

Best of luck with your decision!
Everyone has WiFi calling now. So you don’t need an international plan.

I’m torn. You hated Eagle from what I recall. But you’ll have flow to AA in X years (you were hired prior to the guaranteed interview they offered 2010 hires and later right?) You go to SKW you’ll start at 4th year pay and be a captain real fast on the CRJ most likely commuting to ATL.

Envoy or Skywest. You want other? Go to Omni, Kalitta, or Atlas. Pays more than regionals. Sure you’re gone 16 days in a row, but you’re home at least 14 which is WAY more than you’ll get commuting to reserve at a regional. Have you talked with your wife about it? Would she be happier with you home every 4-6 days, and she only gets a 2-3 day break, or would she be happier with you being gone 16, but she gets a 12 day break?

PDT will probably flow before ENY. However, if your goal is AA, you will have to flow and likely won’t be able to get in off the street. Yet, off the street hires only account for like 2% or something insanely low of total new hires at AA.

Whatever you choose, I recommend getting some more 121 time and get your TT up, then start applying to an LCC or even AA and just keep pounding the pavement on those until you get what you want.

LASTLY, read very carefully the bonus or whatever these places are paying. If you leave before a specified time you pay back all or most of it. I know people that declined the bonus to prevent that situation.

Everyone has WiFi calling now. So you don’t need an international plan.

?
Haha. Ok. You let me know how that WiFi is in some of the hotels in various places. Or where to get WiFi for your call while you're walking around Europe. Some places in Europe don't give WiFi to their customers. How's your map going to work without data? Downloading the maps doesn't always work. I've done the hopping from WiFi to WiFi for years. Having data is far, far superior! Trust me.

But what do I know?

Last edited:
Back