Decided not to go for a life as a pro aviator

I like what someone else said about the airlines not being the only options. I have flown Part 135/91 Learjets now for less than a year and make 4-5 year RJ FO wages as a Lear FO. Also we only stay in Hilton/Marriott chains, so bedbugs never a problem. With my current company we'll probably fly 200-250 hours/year and 8-12 overnights per month. Yeah, I will probably never get to fly the 777 or A380 but I personally don't understand the draw of being a busdriver in the sky, besides easy F/A's....

Good Luck!!

+1. Their are so many other options to pursue other than the 121 route. My first full year as an FO in a King-Air 90 doing part 131 work, i made $38,000. Last i looked, thats 2nd year RJ pay. Now that i'm a captain, and have a $17 a hour pay raise, so i expect to make around $60k this year. And the best of all. I get to lead a normal life, Im not a "bus driver" doing the same thing, and im getting tons of international experience outside of the US. Oh and the turbine multi PIC time is nice to :)

I made a similar decision as you a few years back. I was selected to fly the C-5 Galaxy with my ANG unit, but was disqualified, due to lazy eye in the right eye, by the physical I took when I returned from deployment after I was already selected. That was the ultimate for me, to pilot the airframe I grew up watching from Dover AFB, DE. The natural progression seemed to be to go to a flight school/academy and pursue flying on the civilian side.

Then ... my wife became pregnant and I reflected about what I wanted out of a career, family, home life, etc. Ultimately I decided that I did not want us to have the sizable investment in flight training, to begin paying back while working on a relatively low salary while also trying to support a family--particularly in a volatile industry.

I have never abandoned, however, the notion of becoming a professional pilot. My plan is to acquire certificates/ratings over the years ultimately becoming a CFI which I would like to do on the side and perhaps pursue full-time when I retire. I teach high school and undeniably have a passion for teaching people. I am almost certain I will be quite content being an instructor, but maybe over the years that will open doors to part-time charter gigs as well when I get older.

For now, I am a high school Social Studies teacher and I truly love what I do. The money could be better, the students could be better ... but as I say I wouldn't show up the next day if I didn't enjoy my job. I'm toying with the idea of starting an aviation club at my school.

Good luck to you with your endeavors ... the good news is if for some reason you do regret your choice, you are free to change your mind and aviation will still be there.

Safe skies!

It doesn't mean you still can't enjoy aviation. Keep flying on the side and you will probably enjoy it more. Atleast you will have more money and time off to enjoy aviation.:rawk:

Well the bright side is PA's make ALOT more than regional pilots and some major pilots... PA school is hard though... but its worth it

Not a problem enjoying aviation and not wanting to become a professional pilot. There's a pretty high cost on a personal level of being an airline pilot. Not quite sure if the same personal pressures and demands are there for corporate though. Perhaps, I dunno.

+1. Their are so many other options to pursue other than the 121 route. My first full year as an FO in a King-Air 90 doing part 131 work, i made $38,000. Last i looked, thats 2nd year RJ pay. Now that i'm a captain, and have a $17 a hour pay raise, so i expect to make around $60k this year. And the best of all. I get to lead a normal life, Im not a "bus driver" doing the same thing, and im getting tons of international experience outside of the US. Oh and the turbine multi PIC time is nice to :)

I appreciate your insight, but thought I should add that I've grossed $47,000 this year on second year pay and have yet to receive my final payheck, which should put me over $50,000. First year pay was ATROCIOUS (netted $23,000), but second year wasn't that bad. I'm not contending that we don't deserve more (it disgusts me that many less involved professions earn more), but I just want to publicize the fact that first year pay is just that - FIRST year pay.

As for the "bus driver" notion - in some ways spot on, but in others not quite. I don't consider operating in and out of DCA mundane, nor maintaining 250KIAS to the LOM in a category D aircraft.

The 135/Corporate world is where I'd eventually like to end up, but I have ZERO regrets flying for an airline. Both worlds have advantages and disadvantages.

I also wanted to add that some regional payscales have TERRIBLE second year pay and that I'm fortunate to be where I am. $50,000 should be first year pay at an airline IMHO, though.

lol isn't CAL starting pay like 55k a year? and regional starting pay is like 25k a year bro

Yes, starting pay. Go to www.airlinepilotcentral.com and take a look at the pay scales. I have no qualms with those electing not to pursue a career in aviation based on instability, personal sacrifice, and time away from home. However, even though pilots deserve more, pay is one of the most misunderstood facets of 121 flying.

Not a problem enjoying aviation and not wanting to become a professional pilot. There's a pretty high cost on a personal level of being an airline pilot. Not quite sure if the same personal pressures and demands are there for corporate though. Perhaps, I dunno.

Yup. I am never going to leave aviation. I'm gonna keep on flying. Heck, I'm not even going to stop trying to add some more ratings.

Back