Decent Logbook

Get a diary for that, doesn't really belong in a log book

I'll agree to disagree.

Granted, an interviewer I'm sure doesn't give 2 rips about what I thought about a given flight or what I thought some cloud looked like, but a logbook of flight time and experience can be about what we want it to be, provided the technical stuff is noted. However, I see your point and respect it.

For the record, I'll likely end up going the electronic route like you mentioned Hacker. I'd like to keep it all together so that I don't have to keep aforementioned "diary".

Looking through my grandfather's old logbooks (1920's bush pilot in Mexico and AK, 1930's-1960's AF pilot), my favorite part was his comments. Some of the stuff he did, or was forced to do, was eye watering from a modern aviator's perspective. One entry was "engine died 10 seconds into flight. crashed in field"....from a Curtiss Jenny. Maybe one day I will have kids or grandkids who, like me, will like to read a little bit of aviation history in family logbooks. So I can appreciate the desire to include comments, for nostalgia's sake.

Logbook Pro is IMHO one of the best. Well supported with lots of options when you need to get the most obscure facts out of it.

Do it now you won't be sorry, and don't forget... backup early and backup often:D

Looking through my grandfather's old logbooks (1920's bush pilot in Mexico and AK, 1930's-1960's AF pilot), my favorite part was his comments. Some of the stuff he did, or was forced to do, was eye watering from a modern aviator's perspective. One entry was "engine died 10 seconds into flight. crashed in field"....from a Curtiss Jenny. Maybe one day I will have kids or grandkids who, like me, will like to read a little bit of aviation history in family logbooks. So I can appreciate the desire to include comments, for nostalgia's sake.

Certainly not comparing myself to the undoubtedly great aviator that was your grandfather, but you have cemented my point beautifully. Thank you :)

I'm currently moving to LogTen Pro. I got the iphone app so I can enter in flights on the road and sync back to the "mothership" book. It prints jepp style along with several others that mimic a regular paper book. I wish I did this before part 135 mins but oh well the work will be worth it.

http://coradine.com/logten-pro/

Another plug for the Jepp Pro Logbook.

As for personal comments about your flights it is your logbook so write what you want. I don't write much anymore beyond flt# and the FO I was flying with however if something interesting happened I make a note of it. I figure it will be fun to look back at sometime. I might mention a celebrity who was on board (obviously this wouldn't be acceptable for a charter group) or I have a note about the time my Mom flew with me when I became a 121 captain. As long as it's done professionally and it's neat I don't think anyone will mind...no one has yet.

Back