DCA pros/cons

The C172 checklist does carry a "pushback" task. However, right below that is the notation "not applicable." We would hope that our pilots could figure out what that meant.
Our newer checklists have the "pushback" task removed.
Patrick Murphy
Director of Training

The whole point is to get us students familiar with doing a checklist as the regionals do. The standz manuals for the aircraft are put together just as the CRJ manuals are. I've seen the CRJ manual and it is just like our manuals, just a whole lot thicker! The pushback is just there as a reference point. No one pays attention to it anyways.

all kidding aside, i think you guys should still request a pushback just for the heck of it. ok, maybe i'm still kidding.
grin.gif

"Other than using a checklist for everything except letting a fart"

Not to belabor the point, but this quote got me to thinking that yes, we use a lot of checklists, but that is in the name of saftey. I would hope that most 61 operations use something similar. Here's a list of the 172 checklists, which ones should/could we do without?

Normal Checklists: Remember, these are checklists, not "to do lists" and only serve as a backup to flows we already know

Aircraft Acceptance
Preflight Inspection
Pushback (yes it is there on the old checklists and it does say "NOT APPLICABLE", but ok, i'll give you that one, but it has been changed on the new checklists i bieleve)
Before Starting Engine
Starting Engine
Before Taxi
Taxi Check
Before Takeoff
Line Up
Climb
Cruise
Before Landing
Go Around
After Landing
Parking

Emergency Checklists:

Engine Failure During T/O
Engine Failure Afer T/O
Engine Failure In Flight
Landing W/O Power
Fire During Engine Start
Engine Fire In Flight
Electrical Fire In Flight
Cabin Fire In Flight
Wing Fire In Flight
Ditching
Icing
Precautionary Landing
Flat Main Tire
Excessive Charge (Full Scale Deflection on Ammeter)
Low-Voltage Light On (Ammeter Indicates Discharge
Static Source Blockage

Please pick for me, if you will, which of these checklists I should stop using if I were to quit and go get a part 61 job tomorrow. Thanks. Fly Safe.

The Line up checklist is divided into two portions. The first is to be completed as you are holding short. During that portion you verify that your flaps are set and checked into whatever posion you require for takeoff, then verify that your carbheat is off, and then verify that you compass and heading indicator are alligned. The second portion is to be done once cleared on the runway. That portion is your basic "lights, camera, and action" items. Mixture: rich, transponer: On/ALT, Landing light on, Time Off: Note, then checklist complete.

the pre-takeoff (actually before takeoff) checklist is basically checking flight controls, runup and departure brief.

Okay I see. We check the flight controls and the first part of what you guys call the Line Up check in the runup, and the second part of your Line Up ckeck is what we call the Pre-Takeoff check. I guess it all accomplishes the same thing though, and I agree that except for the "pushback", they are all good checklists to use.

Udub,
This would be my suggestion, go to ATP and get your multi/com add-on for like 1700, and then go to DCA for your CFI stuff. By saying this I probably piss off DCA admin by telling you to go ATP for multi add-on, and I piss off my boss at ATP for telling you to go to CFI class at DCA. But as a peer I think this is the best route IF your goal is to get on with DCA so you can get that "guaranteed inteview". I didnt attend DCA but i have no reason to doubt that they are a great school and you will get quality training there.

I know the big draw for going to the academies is the possible CFI job at the end, so good luck. But know that there are plenty if good FBO's and other schools that are looking for CFI's right now, so dont limit yourself to DCA because you think thats the only way to get your hours.

Interesting note:

At Comair, we don't even have a "pushback" checklist. The pushback is accomplished during the "starting engines" checklist.

The line-up checklist is divided into two parts here as well, the second part being "after cleared for takeoff." This serves to accomplish those thigs that are only appropriate/last check before advancement of thrust for the takeoff.

It goes (may not be verbatim):

Transponder.................................ON
Packs & Bleeds...........................AS REQUIRED
----------------Cleared for takeoff------------------------------------
Anti-Ice........................................AS REQUIRED
Lights..........................................SET
Takeoff Configuration.....................OK
Lineup Checklist...........................COMPLETE

Me too! I got a little bit farther to go than you Wannabe2, but I'm right behind you! I love being out in one of the practice areas and hearing a DCA graduate come up on 123.5 as he's flying over at 30,000 in a Comair CRJ. I've heard two CRJ's from Comair, someone in a CHQ EMB-140 and and ASA CRJ. Definitely a motivation, while you're out in the practice area in a 172.

Yep, if you have your CFI and other certs you can still attend and basically audit the ratings you already have. (Basically go thru the courses and complete all of the items that are included in the TCO) I am not sure but I think you have to do CFI and CFII to get an interview with the school and get hired as an instructor. I have a job for a couple of days in the records room while I wait for my first student and I was updating some files on guys that did that very thing (came in with CFI). There were a lot of them that have done it that way.

Back