DC10

Tim06

What ever happened to the old DC10?...the only company I know of that widely uses them is FedEx

[ QUOTE ]
They got old and expensive - much like the 707 DC-8 727, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah that's right!!! Money makes the planes go 'round
grin.gif
grin.gif

To be precise there are still 231 DC-10's in service with Fedex having 76 of those, and Northwest with 22. About 22 carriers are still flying them all over the world today!

Yep, the beast are still flying, too bad that McDonnell Douglas never built the "2" engine version of the DC10.

Omni Air still uses them. We currently have 8 and are looking to get more. Good a/c. We use the -30 conversions.

It turns out that the "Perfect Ten" is still somewhat cost efficient for cargo use and great for air refueling (as a KC-10), but isn't as cost effective a passenger pusher as the newer two engine heavies.

I enjoy it, but the cockpit's too small.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have much 150 time
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It turns out that the "Perfect Ten" is still somewhat cost efficient for cargo use and great for air refueling (as a KC-10), but isn't as cost effective a passenger pusher as the newer two engine heavies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shore,

Lemme tell you about a small cockpit!
laugh.gif

I fly NorthWest's DC10 from Minneapolis to London whenever I go back home to visit, although they are going to be replacing them with Airbuses pretty soon. I do like the old '10's I must admit.

Northwest has some of the last passenger DC-10's built! Their youngest was only manufactured in 1988, so I think it won't be until around 2008 until they are all completely phrased out! There is even one in the paint shop today recieving the new livery.

Going to look sweeeeet!!!!!
grin.gif

MikeD,
Let me rephrase that.
The cockpit's too small for 4 crew on a 17-hour leg. The boom usually goes to sleep in the back after gear-up, so I'll make that 3 crew. Still cramped if you consider the size of the money-making end of the plane.
PS: Are you back?
SF

Back