DC corporate pilot

Pilotcollin

I’m looking for a large cabin corporate jet in the greater DC area. I have over 8000 hours and 4 types with previous chief pilot and DO experience. I have a good job now, but I’m getting tired of the 135 world. I’m looking for something a bit more stable with safety above profit.

I’m looking for a large cabin corporate jet in the greater DC area. I have over 8000 hours and 4 types with previous chief pilot and DO experience. I have a good job now, but I’m getting tired of the 135 world. I’m looking for something a bit more stable with safety above profit.
Gotta get out there and walk the line. Are you still there? The straight 91 family gigs out of IAD won’t advertise and there is a long list of networkers keeping tabs on old pilots’ medicals and such.
Many of the corporate jobs will require same networking, but some will pop up on the popular paid site (ppw, not orange) once in a while. Geico comes to mind, but they operate a couple of Lear’s. (It’s a sweet gig though, M-F, home for dinner kind of place)
The managed accounts are your best bet if you don’t know anybody. Jet aviation has quite a few large cabins in the area (including BWI) but they are notoriously bad communicators. Try to make contact with a recruiter then maintain it! That’s the trick.
They have quite a few straight 91’s and some with light (non-retail) 135. Nothing wrong with the latter. I do that now and love the occasional milk run charter that breaks up the owners same 3-4 locations. (I’m still out of DE, now with a steady gig again, so my network in the DC metro has dried up a bit)
Make sure you’re buddies with some of the local line guys, buy beer once in a while. They have the 411 and if they like you, will sometimes send you over to where they know someone is leaving.
Last up, I’ve heard Dan S’s shop isn’t the revolving door it once was. Maybe he finally learned how to treat pilots?
Good luck, let me know if you find something sweet, maybe I’ll try to come home someday too!

Back