DC ADIZ

Xcaliber

El Chupacabra
So i just went through the required training for flying in the area of Washington DC. One thing that kind of confused me, though, is all the terms being thrown around. I don't fly anywhere close to DC, but I want to be prepared on the off chance I get a flight in that direction, or I get a new job around there. With that in mind...

- The DC SFRA is a new area defined by a 30 nm ring around the DCA vortac. Rules and regulations as described in the training video.
- The DC FRZ is an area defined by what's shown on the map, basically a 13 nm ring around the DCA vortac. Rules and regulations as per the video. I've got those two down. Now...

- The DC ADIZ is...I don't know what the DC ADIZ is. As best I can tell, that is a now defunct term, taken over by the SFRA. I'm confused by this because, if I'm right and my memory isn't faulty (no garauntees!), the ADIZ was a lot weirder shaped, mostly following the lines of the Class B airpspace.
- Wasn't there some hubbub about making some rules for anyone who flies within 60 nm of the DCA vortac? It's printed on the sectional, so I assume that it's something important.

And of course there's all the Class B airspace to worry about. So help out a poor, confused soul and straighten me out on all this. Thanks!

you are correct, in the new DC Special Flight Rules Area (SuFRA) is the same thing they refferred to as the DC Adiz. And the FRZ is still the FRZ. The FRZ and SFRA i think are relatively similar in shape, just the SFRA is a bigger version of the FRZ. As far as the 60nm thing, I saw some poster somwhere saying if your flying within 60nm of the DCA vortac, you had to do the training as well...

so who knows..

The 60 NM thing is for VFR only. If you plan to fly VFR within 60 NM, you have to have the "training".

Now, here's the kicker:

You're a corporate pilot, on an IFR flight plan to any one of the non-towered airports within 60 NM of DCA. You see the runway about 5 miles out, you cancel IFR in the air to be courteous to the flight coming in behind you, and you land. You are greeted by a TSA schmuck after you send your passengers on the way, and they ask to see your "training" certificate. You don't have it because you haven't done the "training". You're in violation since you went VFR within the 60 NM ring without having done the "training".

The 60 NM thing is for VFR only. If you plan to fly VFR within 60 NM, you have to have the "training".

Now, here's the kicker:

You're a corporate pilot, on an IFR flight plan to any one of the non-towered airports within 60 NM of DCA. You see the runway about 5 miles out, you cancel IFR in the air to be courteous to the flight coming in behind you, and you land. You are greeted by a TSA schmuck after you send your passengers on the way, and they ask to see your "training" certificate. You don't have it because you haven't done the "training". You're in violation since you went VFR within the 60 NM ring without having done the "training".

I also like to point out that the requirement is not just for the PIC, as many regs are, but to any required SIC as well.

X - you pretty much figured it out. The ADIZ is now the SFRA. Bunch of bureauocracy at its best

Yeah, it's really stupid. Want a flight plan so that you can fly in the SFRA or ADIZ? Call and get one. You could call and say you are Osama bin Laden and you would still be issued one.

I think I'll write to Obama and tell him that if he really stands for hope and change, he can get rid of these stupid rules.

We've been hoping for that to change in the DC area for the better part of a decade now.

It would be one thing if it actually made anyone safer. It does nothing, and just makes things difficult of pilots living in the area and controllers working it.

Now, here's the kicker:

Wow. I hadn't thought of that before. Sorry everyone behind us, but I don't think we'll be canceling until we're clear of the runway.

-mini

Back