DC-8. Who has flown it?

cb_boarder04

The DC-8 is primarily used for cargo now so I was wondering how many of you freight pilots have flown it. Did you like? What where some good things and bad things about it?

I am doing a report on the DC-8 and I cant find any systems information on it.

Does anybody have any AOM or study guides available?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The DC-8 is primarily used for cargo now so I was wondering how many of you freight pilots have flown it. Did you like? What where some good things and bad things about it?

I am doing a report on the DC-8 and I cant find any systems information on it.

Does anybody have any AOM or study guides available?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have an old DC-8 manual around here somewhere. What systems are you interested in?

As I remember the early 707 and DC-8 did not have an APU but used ground power for air/electrics.

The -8 was noted for handling like a truck and the rule was IF you could get it off the gate, it was fine. The original -8 followed the typical evolution from the DC8-10 through the 60s series before changing engines with the Super 70 series. Again, I didn't fly it but the stories were that Douglas curtailed the line because it was competing with the DC-10 too much. The -8 as a freighter is a big hoss but like all first gen airliners, a bit long in the tooth. As I remember, the inboard engines could be reversed in flight to facilitate descents.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/dc-8.htm

http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/Aviation/Aircraft/DC-8.asp

I jumpseated on one last night. I know what you mean about getting it off the gate. I thought the Hot Standby Airbus crew in EWR was going to have a fit (apparently, they flew every night this week). There was some sort of large gap on the fan blades for #3 that the engineer had never seen before (and he looked like he'd seen a lot). 40 minutes and some calls to CFM and Engineering in SDF later and we were on our way. It was really cool being on that jet. Who knows if I'll ever get to do it again.

What do you want to know

1000+ hours on DC8-73,72,71 and -61 series

Did the -8 have the electrical heirarchy (?) like the -9 (gnd pwr, APU, eng gen). Did yours have an APU?

And true that it handled like a truck? (The -135 used balance panels and you had to use rudder to move it around. BUT with a bit of judicious rudder, it was a nice (albeit heavy) handling machine. )

Also, hyd system.. pumps low or off in cruise and then back to HI for approach and landing?

The -80 had the 4 position speedbrake which I didn't care much for but the extension speeds for flaps.. WOW. 280kts for leading edge.

(I know the other guy had questions and hope I'm not jumping to the front of the line.. oh, and did the -8 have the variable flap selection?)

Oh.. and the Fly-by-wire.. DC.. direct cable :D

dc8FE.jpg

DC-8_Cockpit01.jpg

Did the -8 have the electrical heirarchy (?) like the -9 (gnd pwr, APU, eng gen). Did yours have an APU?

Yes, there was a two position switch on the FE panel. Ground Power, Battery and Off (3 position if you count Off). Ground power took the battery and Gens out of the equation by opening relays. You could hear these relays open as they were big mechanical "claws". It was a definite thunk when they would open and close.

Some DC8s had APUs and if they did there was actually two, the ones I flew did not have APUs.

An interesting side note. Since engine start was pneumatic the original design was to have the engines pressurize the left main landing gear strut. On the next start that pressurized air was used to start one engine then that engines bleed air was used to start the remaining three. Only one minor design flaw. The air wasn't dried so the left strut would succumb to severe corrosion very quickly.

And true that it handled like a truck? (The -135 used balance panels and you had to use rudder to move it around. BUT with a bit of judicious rudder, it was a nice (albeit heavy) handling machine. )

It did handle like a truck, not very nimble at all and took a fair amount of muscle to flare and roll. The rudder and ailerons were all hydraulic boost BUT the original test pilots thought the controls were too light so a load feel mechanism was installed to give the "heavy" feeling. Flying it with the aileron in manual was a bitch.

Also, hyd system.. pumps low or off in cruise and then back to HI for approach and landing?

Pumps had three positions, on, off and bypass. They were variable displacement pumps.

The -80 had the 4 position speedbrake which I didn't care much for but the extension speeds for flaps.. WOW. 280kts for leading edge.

No speed breaks per se. There were roll control spoilers and ground spoilers. IIRC 7 panels on each wing, the inboard 3 were roll spoilers only with flaps 25 (IIRC) and that took almost full yoke deflection to get. There was an accident where the spoilers were accidently deployed in flight, the airplane basically stopped flying, went backwards a few feet and dropped like a rock. Engines 2 and 3 could be reveresed in flight to help with speed contol and quick descents. If either or both of the #2 or #3 reversers were inop there was an altitude limitation for passenger ops due to time required for an emergency descent.

(I know the other guy had questions and hope I'm not jumping to the front of the line.. oh, and did the -8 have the variable flap selection?)

Flaps were, again pulling from the databanks here, 5 15, 25, 35, 50 degrees. There were slats but they were over each engine only, not full span, about three feet wide or so. You could select 30 degrees by putting the flap lever between the 25 and 35 degree slots, but never a need to.

Oh.. and the Fly-by-wire.. DC.. direct cable :D

dc8FE.jpg

DC-8_Cockpit01.jpg

The yellow knob is the elevator lock, rudder and ailerons were "locked" via their hydraulic systems acting as dampners while on the ground and unpowered.

The yellow knob is the elevator lock, rudder and ailerons were "locked" via their hydraulic systems acting as dampners while on the ground and unpowered.

It seems to be in an inconvenient spot. Were people always bumping into it ?

It seems to be in an inconvenient spot. Were people always bumping into it ?

Not really, it was an easy cockpit to get in and out of. If there was a lot of wind it could be a pain to release/engage the lock though.

The cloth seats were easily replaced, not a whole lot of pilot funk.

I used to DH on the 8 back in the day but didn't fly it. The junior people got stuck with the CV880 as a job.

But, it's interesting how much the 8 cockpit resembles the 9 if you take away two engines and the FE panel.

The Douglas airplanes have a loyal following...and with good reason.

The saying was: Lockheed builds systems, Boeing builds airplanes, Douglas builds...character. :laff:

IAs I remember, the inboard engines could be reversed in flight to facilitate descents.

I have been told the same thing by a Captain I fly with. He said the inboards really swing from side to side when in reverse in flight.

bafanguy said:
The saying was: Lockheed builds systems, Boeing builds airplanes, Douglas builds...character.

LOL...

I have been told the same thing by a Captain I fly with. He said the inboards really swing from side to side when in reverse in flight.

The LONG -8s (the 60 series) flexed in flight and if you were in the back, you could see the fuselage flex in turbulence. As for the engines, knowing they were held on by a few bolts the diameter of your index finger could be a bit unsettling when watching them dance in turbulence. Same for watching the wings and engines flex on the KC-135. But then I can not imagine the ride if the wings didn't flex.

I was told that with the long -8s you needed to taxi x ft coming out of a hard turn or there could be enough tension on the fuselage that some doors may not open. True or not I do not know but looking at it, it seems reasonable.

I seem to remember hearing that before you could do the inflight reverse on the 8s at Widget Wonderland, you had to make a PA to warn the pax. Apparently, it made alarming noise/vibration ? That would seem to make the option not very practical.

I seem to remember hearing that before you could do the inflight reverse on the 8s at Widget Wonderland, you had to make a PA to warn the pax. Apparently, it made alarming noise/vibration ? That would seem to make the option not very practical.

But awesome.

PA: "Hey ya'll....check this [imagine the word I'd put in here] out!!!"

Back