DC-10 final passenger revenue flight.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
On Bangladesh Airlines.

(CNN) -- Some commercial jets receive soaring fanfare when they hang up their wings.
Remember all that fuss over the Concorde?

Now it's the McDonnell Douglas DC-10's turn.

But what sort of retirement party awaits the airline industry's final scheduled DC-10 passenger flight?

The final-flight honor goes to Bangladesh Biman Airlines, operator of the world's last passenger DC-10 -- which the airline says will be making its final scheduled flight on December 7, on an otherwise routine flight. (The airline hasn't said which route the plane will fly.)

The aircraft will then remain grounded in standby mode while awaiting the arrival of its successor, a shiny new Boeing B777-300ER -- and eventual shipment to an undisclosed aviation museum in the United States.

While passenger service comes to an end for the iconic, wide-body, three-engine workhorse of late-20th-century air travel, the DC-10 won't completely disappear from the skies.

It's still commonly used by cargo companies, such as FedEx.

For DC-10 fans (we know you're out there) mourning the end of an era, Biman has since announced one last chance to experience the DC-10 in action -- even if you're not a box with an overnight label.

(continued in link below)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/travel/dc-10-last-flight/

Ive rode on an American DC-10 a couple of times, jumpseated on a United DC-10 once (as well as a 747SP), and same with KC-10s of course.

The possible scenic trip around England is being set up by members of Anet.
If I even been on a DC-10 I don't remember it at all due to a young age. Only classics I remember are 727-200 and 737-200.

I had the pleasure of taking this lady to Hawaii in the mid 90's.

C-FCRE-Canadian-Airlines-International-McDonnell-Douglas-DC-10-30_PlanespottersNet_241688.jpg

At least Fed Ex is still flying the MD-10 around. Certainly part of great generation of airliners. Of course, passengers won't know or care as they cram into the back.

At least Fed Ex is still flying the MD-10 around. Certainly part of great generation of airliners. Of course, passengers won't know or care as they cram into the back.

And the USAF pushing to retire the KC-10

Quiet cockpit, easy to land. Long takeoff rolls with the underpowered DC-10-40. Best trip I had was flying the Green Bay Packers to their Super Bowl in San Diego with coach Mike Holmgren in the jumpseat.

Back