DC-10 Burns in Memphis

Re: DC-10 Burns in Florida

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys.

A little off topic, but I'm curious.

What has been done to prevent the hydraulic failures as in the Sioux City crash?

Is the -10 a (relatively speaking) desirable heavy to fly? Or is it looked at with a bit of suspicion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most aircraft were fitted with hydraulic fuses after UA 232 to prevent all 3 systems from being disabled. Also, since the failure was caused by an uncontained engine failure dure to a crack in a turbine fan, better inspections resulted.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the old post subject, the first report I heard on the radio said Florida. Duly noted and changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine for now.....

Let's just try to not to let this happen in the future.
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Flew through MEM tonight, but was on a commercial airline so only caught a glimpse of the plane as we went by on take-off. I was hoping to see more, but....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They were trying to unload all the Christmas gifts - have you ever seen the movie Castaway??????

[/ QUOTE ]

Castaway was a horrible and shameless 2 hour plug for Fed Ex. The Fed Ex symbol was in literally every shot.

Shoulda been called Fed Ex the movie.

Matthew

The DC-10, MD-10 and MD-11 all were modified with a valve that shuts off hyd flow to save some fluid should #2 blow. It makes the airplane fly-able, but still takes some finess.

As for Castaway, the movie studio approached FedEx about it, FedEx had very little input into the script or the filming, other than being able to veto using the logo if they thought it was too harsh on the company. FedEx did not pay a cent for that.

I thought it was a great movie, one of the best monologues in movie history actually.

You mean you didn't here all of Wilson's speaking parts? I thought they had some crazy animation but in reality I am just insane. That's good to know.

[ QUOTE ]
As for Castaway, the movie studio approached FedEx about it, FedEx had very little input into the script or the filming, other than being able to veto using the logo if they thought it was too harsh on the company. FedEx did not pay a cent for that.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. In fact, to further what seagull posted, it is my understanding that FedEX intially was tentative about being associated with the movie as they were afraid it might shed a bad light on the safety of their flights. But after seeing a sript, they acquiesced.

Why does thhis say "DC-10 Burns in Florida" on the main index page?? I thought it happened in Memphis.

[ QUOTE ]
Why does thhis say "DC-10 Burns in Florida" on the main index page?? I thought it happened in Memphis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just look back through the posts to see who changed the title when they posted. Then ask him why.

Here, I'll change it back on mine.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They were trying to unload all the Christmas gifts - have you ever seen the movie Castaway??????

[/ QUOTE ]

Castaway was a horrible and shameless 2 hour plug for Fed Ex. The Fed Ex symbol was in literally every shot.

Shoulda been called Fed Ex the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what I actually meant to say was that the over use of the Fed Ex logo was shameless, but that the movie itself was good.

Though I am expecting UPS to counter with there own shameless movie brandishing there logos in every shot.

Matthew

Wonder if the news guy knew the terms, jumpseat and vertical stabilizer or if someone was feeding him the info ?

Back