DayJet parks all planes but one...

Rizer

DayJet Corp., the Boca Raton based air taxi service, informed federal aviation authorities Friday afternoon of plans to park practically all of its aircraft for "economic reasons."

The company - which flies mainly business customers on a "per-seat, on-demand" basis between at least 57 airports across five Southeastern states - told the Federal Aviation Administration it would ground 27 of its aircraft, FAA spokesman Les Dorr said. One plane would continue operating for "use by executives," he said.

Dayjet officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

The company laid off 100 of its 260 employees in May, citing it had to scale back expansion plans because it could not get the $40 million in financing that 2008 business plan called for.

Dayjet is the largest single user of the Eclipse model 500 "very light jets," which recently have come under federal review for design and manufacturing problems that could impact safety.

DayJet filed 93 "service difficulty reports" to the FAA since the aircraft was certified in 2006, Congressional testimony shows. DayJet configures the $2.2 million jets to seat up to three passengers and two pilots.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/sfl-0919dayjet,0,4598990.story

Financial reasons my ass. They know the thing shouldn't be flying, so they're getting out before the airworthiness tickets of all the aircraft are sent to the paper shredder.

The tainted history of the type certification process is on its way to a congressional review. In the end, the thing will be grounded, so DayJet will be able to say "we did the right thing because we knew it wasn't airworthy".

I have my opinions on the relationship between DayJet, Eclipse and the FAA type certification inspectors, but I'll leave you all to form your own.

Wow. I've spoken with so many kind DayJet pilots at AVL... Certainly sad to know that they're back on the street.

From what I read part of the problem was that AIG underwrote their insurance for the Eclipse and their troubles, coupled with the "hasty" certification of an aircraft that has to use a panel mounted GPS, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Their section of the ramp at Avitat (BCT) was completely empty this morning and their hangar has other aircraft parked in there. Wonder where they all went?

From what I read part of the problem was that AIG underwrote their insurance for the Eclipse and their troubles, coupled with the "hasty" certification of an aircraft that has to use a panel mounted GPS, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Agree it was the wrong equipment and probably a bad business model. Disagree strongly that AIG had anything to do with it. AIG INSURANCE company subsidiary's are very strong. No policy holder has lost money nor are they in danger of losing money. AIG had nothing to do with the financing package Dayjet was seeking falling apart except for its contribution to the overall financial meltdown last week.

Probally to Gainesville GNV, I would always see a bunch of them on NE Ramp./QUOTE]

I went to GNV on Tuesday and when I was taxing out I saw a whole bunch of them on the NE Ramp as well.

Connor

Its interesting how there is enough money for one plane to fly around executives after they shut sown, but not to continue operations.

Ed Iacobucci, the founder of Dayjet is worth somewhere around $350 million according to an article I read earlier this year. So I would say no, it's not interesting, (you seem to imply something in your post) it's just a rich guy enjoying his money. My guess is he's keeping the Dayjet certificate active by keeping 1 airplane on.

Ed Iacobucci, the founder of Dayjet is worth somewhere around $350 million according to an article I read earlier this year. So I would say no, it's not interesting, (you seem to imply something in your post) it's just a rich guy enjoying his money. My guess is he's keeping the Dayjet certificate active by keeping 1 airplane on.

I know its a rich boys club flying an eclipse around, but WHY would you put that in the press release?

Back