Dash 8 pilots! I need some help!

MQAAord

Scheherazade
Staff member
Hi all- My boss is buying a Dash 8 -200, and needs me to do up the manual (F/A) for it. I can't physically get to the plane, it's not even in the U.S. at the moment, (actually SEEING the plane would make my job far too easy), so I'm asking for your help with a few things.

I need some pictures of the cabin. Especially pictures of the doors/exits, closed and open from the inside and out.

Anything you all can tell me about quirks of operating it... I'd love to hear.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all- My boss is buying a Dash 8 -200, and needs me to do up the manual (F/A) for it. I can't physically get to the plane, it's not even in the U.S. at the moment, (actually SEEING the plane would make my job far too easy), so I'm asking for your help with a few things.

I need some pictures of the cabin. Especially pictures of the doors/exits, closed and open from the inside and out.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know if it would help, but airliners.net has an extensive database of aircraft cabin photos. There might be some pictures on there similar to what you request.

Do they have cabin pics there? I should look there, for some reason I thought they only had exterior plane-spotting type pictures! Thanks :)

I just googled it and it pulled up a diagram of Alaska Airlines/Horizon seating diagram that showed where emergency exits are. Might be a start!

The most important thing to know about the -200. The lav door swings outward. If you are parked on a slope, with the right wing on the lower side, the cockpit door will partially open and prevent the lav door from being opened from the inside. Make sure there is someone in the aircraft to rescue you from the bathroom if you are parked in such a manner. We have had people stuck in there for lengthy time frames when the rest of the crew left the airplane with a crewmember in the bathroom.

This is only an issue on the 200, the 100 and 300 have a different trap-free door system.

The most important thing to know about the -200. The lav door swings outward. If you are parked on a slope, with the right wing on the lower side, the cockpit door will partially open and prevent the lav door from being opened from the inside. Make sure there is someone in the aircraft to rescue you from the bathroom if you are parked in such a manner. We have had people stuck in there for lengthy time frames when the rest of the crew left the airplane with a crewmember in the bathroom.

This is only an issue on the 200, the 100 and 300 have a different trap-free door system.

That is some VERY helpful information to know! :eek:

Thanks in advance!
What company is this?

Memories of the Dash-200 cabin, from a pilot's perspective:

1) Sometimes the torsion springs / pulleys on the main cabin door can start to go out which make it basically impossible to close from the inside.
2) Sometimes the ground crews slam the main cabin door closed, imperiling the flight attendant's face.
3) Flight attendant jumpseat is very uncomfortable.
4) The temperature control on the flight attendant panel (with settings from HOT to COLD) set a desired temperature, not a level of hotness or coldness. So setting it all the way hot will not make it get hotter quicker, it will only make it get really hot when you forget to turn it back down.
5) Access to the cargo compartment from the main cabin is behind the middle seat in row 9 (so the FA can fight fires back there), however you can not open this door (or the main cargo door) from inside the cargo compartment. A good prank is to trap someone in there while waiting to board / ground stop / etc. This only works on new guys / girls though, because after it happens once nobody willingly goes into the cargo compartment.
6) Seats do not recline
7) Windows have no shade / visor.
8) Without the optional NVS (active noise reduction system) it is VERY LOUD in the cabin.
9) The emergency wing-exits are very small and I could see an "American-sized" person getting stuck in one.
10) The single-pack A/C system is inadequete in the summer, if you do not have the air cart put on as soon as you shutdown engines it will be stifling inside the cabin for up to 30 minutes after you start taxiing.
11) The heating system (P3 and P2.5 bleed air) is VERY EFFECTIVE. However, it is impossible to be both be comfortable in the flight deck and in the cabin. If it is too cold in the flight deck it is probably just about right in the cabin, if it is just about right in the flight deck it is probably really hot in the cabin.

I remember the baby dash cause I always had to climb through the baggage door and pop out of the F/A emergency exit, so that I could hook up the heater.

Back