Dallas airplane rental suggestions?

Mad Doggy Dog

Where is a good place to rent a CE-172 or PA-28 or similar in the DFW area? Preferrably TKI, ADS, or DAL.

My wife has a bidness trip to SHV and AA wants $720 rt for an ATR-72 ride. I don't think so....homey don't play that! So I told her I'd fly her there.

I looked at Monarch Aviation and they want $146/hr wet for a CE-172SP. Is that about the going rate to rent a 4 seat airplane these days? Anyone know of a better deal?

Thanks!

It's a little bit further east, but you might want to check out Mesquite (KHQZ). That's where I learned to fly and rates there were always really good. You could get to Shreveport and back without ever having to fly in the Bravo.

I'd second HQZ for a cheap rental. Can't remember the FBO out there but they had some rates while I was looking around.

There are also some 172s for rent REALLY cheap in Rockwall. I hear they ain't pretty or well-appointed, but they're airworthy.

In ADS, check out Henley's and possibly Classic - don't know if Classic is still around.

Skymates out at GKY may be able to help you out as well. And US Flight Academy at DTO may be an option.

All of them might want a checkout so if this is short-notice you may want to hurry.

EDIT - $146 an hour for a NICE 172 seems to be the going rate, yes. If you don't mind steam gauges and older airplanes, you can probably find something cheaper.

Monarch is for sure not the way to go if you want something cheap. If you want a nice SP or G1000 though and don't mind draining all you've worked for in life towards an hour of flying, then call them up :laff:

Just keep in mind pretty much any place you go is going to want you to do a rental checkout with an instructor, so factor that into the price as well.

Skymates 172 SPs are $140 with no difference in price in the steam or G1000. When I was instructing there, you had to go through a pretty extensive check out on the G1000, though. The older 172s are $120.

72D at Rockwall isn't pretty but not too long ago 72K got a complete makeover. New leather interior, new paint, new engine, and a bendix/king moving map GPS.

They rent around $100/hr if I remember right. PM me and I'll check you out in either one.

I'll get your wife to DTN and back if it's a day trip. All I'll require is use of your boat for a day or four. :)

I am one of the instructors at Mesquite KHQZ and we have 2 172N model's for $115/hr wet and 3 150M's for $90/hr wet. PM me for more details.

I am one of the instructors at Mesquite KHQZ and we have 2 172N model's for $115/hr wet and 3 150M's for $90/hr wet. PM me for more details.

Do you guys still run auto gas in your 150s? Last time I flew there was with a guy named Brandon back in '05 - don't imagine he still hangs out around there anymore.

"Do you guys still run auto gas in your 150s? Last time I flew there was with a guy named Brandon back in '05 - don't imagine he still hangs out around there anymore."

-Only 100LL for our old birds. I heard the guy who owned the school before us used auto gas but that was years ago and before my time.
I never met Brandon but I have heard of him.

Back