Dakota Student Opinion Article Bashes UND Aerospace

Well now finishing flying on-time is part of your grade. If you finish flying late and don't meet some of the other critera listed on the "flight template" then the highest grade you can get in most of the courses is a 90% and finishing flying on time is the other 10%.

Which is total crap because as you said a lot of times it is pure luck and the University also needs to understand that some of us also work full time jobs to support ourselves while we go to school and we don't have every evening free to catch up on flying if the weather is bad for a couple of weeks or something.

Wow thats total crap. So much for my suggestions to the profs. If I were still a student there, I would seriously raise some hell about that. When I left UND, I went to Auburn U. to teach there. Now UND was way better in many regards, but the kicker was that the students stage checks were actually graded! A, B, C, D, or F was part of the oral and flight. Now it was still pass/fail as far as getting your certs, but part of that factored in to their final grade. Now, sometimes it might can cause problems with too much subjectiveness and how they were graded, but in general it was a good thing.

Now why can't UND do something like that. Thats really stupid for them failing you if you don't finish. I'm sorry that I had extra non-aviation activities, in which the faculty encouraged me to persue.

My biggest beef with the aviation department was the Laptop program. What a ripoff! The grading scale is also b.s.! I had a good time at UND and overall was glad I went there, but I bailed after 102 and went somewhere else to get my Instrument-MEI for less money. Too bad I had no clue about aviation colleges when I got out of high school, I would have went to an in-state university.

Wow thats total crap. So much for my suggestions to the profs. If I were still a student there, I would seriously raise some hell about that. When I left UND, I went to Auburn U. to teach there. Now UND was way better in many regards, but the kicker was that the students stage checks were actually graded! A, B, C, D, or F was part of the oral and flight. Now it was still pass/fail as far as getting your certs, but part of that factored in to their final grade. Now, sometimes it might can cause problems with too much subjectiveness and how they were graded, but in general it was a good thing.

Now why can't UND do something like that. Thats really stupid for them failing you if you don't finish. I'm sorry that I had extra non-aviation activities, in which the faculty encouraged me to persue.

It would be way too subjective for such a large school as UND. A good idea, though. UND only uses the flight point system to keep students motivated to move on so they free up space for other students. Its about money, not academics.

What happened to the "bonus point" system? It seemed to replace the flight point system for a semester but then disappeared.

My biggest beef with the aviation department was the Laptop program. What a ripoff!

:yeahthat: /start rant/ I remember when I was a freshman and everyone was asking why do you we need "this" laptop and the answer was because of the software. The only software I used from it was AIMs and you can download that online if you call and get the install password from the tech people. Now they can't use the oh it has "flight star" software on it because they got rid of it and everyone just uses the AOPA flight planner since every student got a AOPA membership.

There are some students who are FOR the laptop program and when I ask them why they say
'Oh because I just just bring it in and get a new one if I break it!" but if you do the math on it and you purchase your own laptop with an accidental warranty you would have save few hundred dollars.

They really need to scrap that laptop program. :rawk:
/end rant/

:yeahthat: /start rant/ I remember when I was a freshman and everyone was asking why do you we need "this" laptop and the answer was because of the software. The only software I used from it was AIMs and you can download that online if you call and get the install password from the tech people. Now they can't use the oh it has "flight star" software on it because they got rid of it and everyone just uses the AOPA flight planner since every student got a AOPA membership.

There are some students who are FOR the laptop program and when I ask them why they say
'Oh because I just just bring it in and get a new one if I break it!" but if you do the math on it and you purchase your own laptop with an accidental warranty you would have save few hundred dollars.

They really need to scrap that laptop program. :rawk:
/end rant/
Yeah, well.....that AND you'd be owning it, not renting it. It was a complete ripoff. I can't believe how successful that stupid program has been. $900 a year to rent a laptop? WTF

UND does grade stage checks. What no one so far has pointed out is that the "extra requirements" are successful completion of stage checks on your first attempt. In fact, for that 10% for this semester's CFI ground school, 8% is from stage checks and 2% is from finishing on time. Heck, you can even get 1% if you don't finish up on time but finish before June 1st. UND isn't perfect, but they are trying to make things better. Just please, look at the facts before you started blasting the school.

Have things changed since last year? Last I recall, it was just sat/unsat from when I was doing them.

You are right. I should have phrased it differently. UND factors stage results in grades. Still SAT/UNSAT, but now a sat gives you part of the 10% for flight performance.

You are right. I should have phrased it differently. UND factors stage results in grades. Still SAT/UNSAT, but now a sat gives you part of the 10% for flight performance.
Ah ok, yeah...I left six months ago, so I guess anything can change which is why I asked.

Just please, look at the facts before you started blasting the school.

Sorry, I wasn't blasting the school. I only got the facts from this thread. That was my only complaint at UND. Other then that, I loved it there, and would still recommend it to anyone.

Sorry, I wasn't blasting the school. I only got the facts from this thread. That was my only complaint at UND. Other then that, I loved it there, and would still recommend it to anyone.
I'm 85K in final debt. I wouldn't recommend it. If I would have gone to an in-state university, I would have been in less than half of that debt. I guess I was dumb.

AngelFuree said:

Did you not establish in-state residency? Saved me thousands.

So easy to get residency, the state basically gives it away! That's only because noone wants to live there though.

=Jason-

I would love to disagree with you but unfortunately ND is the only state from my understanding to lose population over the past 80-100 years or something outrageous like that

Back