daily pic

Picture credit: USAF

The last three Republic F-105 Thunderchief jets, all three being two seat F models from the 419th Tac Fighter Wing / 466th TAC Fighter Squadron, USAF Reserve, Hill AFB, UT, seen disconnecting from one last air refueling by KC-135A Stratotanker, enroute to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ. March 1984

View attachment 68373
When I was in the USAF we’d work Thuds every day out of Carswell AFB, loaded with target bombs headed for the range. Never seen a faster aircraft on final.

1671540008967.png

Safety pilot in an A36. Damn GFC 500 service bulletin explains the popped A/P and trim breakers.

When I was in the USAF we’d work Thuds every day out of Carswell AFB, loaded with target bombs headed for the range. Never seen a faster aircraft on final.

There is almost nothing that you could say that would give me a bigger fighter pilot chub than this. It amazes me that the -105 flew in active service in my lifetime.....I was way too young to remember it, but that and the big six were two fighters I wish I had a memory of.

20221224_104702.jpg

20221224_113111.jpg

What's becoming an annual tradition, coming to town and listening to the organ and watching the light show. Strangely this year seemingly vacant (probably has something to do with a winter storm or something) at John Wanamaker's Department Store in Philadelphia. Certainly became packed as the clock got to 11:30AM or so, but in my own opinion there's no media to do this organ justice. Put the phone away and listen to it.

Merry Christmas, to those who celebrate. Happy Holidays, all. :)

Passing the Finger Lakes region, on what's an absolutely gorgeous weekend to fly. Makes me want to bust out the camera and get some digital storage space again.

20230127_105912.jpg

Wife and I went to Cape Flattery

That looks awesome. Have been meaning to get out there. I fly over it all the time (standard routing/entry point to the Olympic MOA/W237A is right there), but haven't been in person. A buddy of mine who is a backseater, and I, always do what we have come to call the "rocks" tour whenever we have some free time out in the area. He eats his baby carrots, I randomly hit him with an uncalled 6G break turn, he spills his baby carrots, and then I announce our arrival above a new rock. There are tons of rocks out there.

As a side note that is still related to PNW amazingness and endless freedom, I saw a whole flock (can it be called that?) of Bald Eagles just chilling on the rocks near the approach end of NUW RWY 14 this afternoon, crossing base towards the north gate. Just stone cold sitting there by the water. I imagine they were looking for crabs or maybe an errant sea bird to crush to death on said rocks or drown.

About the only bad part about living in the PNW, during the annual salmon run, I end up with fish pieces all over my yard. Of course it doesn't help that there is a creek at the back end of my property. At least I find them before the dog does!!!

Back