daily pic

5415F2D5-3DD1-4338-B497-1526F07B3929.jpeg

Bored and in need of exercise I took my beer gut on a walk. This is Wesser Bald in western NC.

Decided to fly instead of riot tonight.
View attachment 53729View attachment 53730
@Nark ........Really beautiful photos..........wondrous lights, a living city pulsing below, and a glorious sunset that never grows stale. And there you are........straddling between the metropolis that we are all tied to and the ethereal glorious freedom that our heart knows and seeks.

“We swung over the hills and over the town and back again, and I saw how a man can be master of a craft, and how a craft can be master of an element. I saw the alchemy of perspective reduce my world, and all my other life, to grains in a cup. I learned to watch, to put my trust in other hands than mine. And I learned to wander. I learned what every dreaming child needs to know -- that no horizon is so far that you cannot get above it or beyond it.” Beryl Markham

So my evil plan B for the Crew Dragon watching was doing it from the KSC on Sunday, if it didn't fly on Saturday.
Especially considering the place is half open (ok, maybe a third), tickets are $30 adult/$25 child and they give you complimentary tickets to use in 2021. Even better that it worked out the way it did. No lines, we were able to see everything we wanted to, kids loved it and we did too.

20200531_125735.jpg

Looks easy. Glass cockpit, VFR, weather, stable platform. Try that in a BE-1900 in a Nor'Easter going into KRKD.....

Try it in a BE-99, single pilot in mountainous terrain... at night!

pffft. Try it in a chieftain that Flys a bit sideways was it assembled from about fourteen other wrecked chieftains without a single piece of metal with the same color paint on it, wearing a snowmobile suit stuffed with newspapers to try and keep warm after the janitrol heater quit working, in a blizzard, through the mountains at night.

pffft. Try it in a chieftain that Flys a bit sideways was it assembled from about fourteen other wrecked chieftains without a single piece of metal with the same color paint on it, wearing a snowmobile suit stuffed with newspapers to try and keep warm after the janitrol heater quit working, in a blizzard, through the mountains at night.
PAKP... NDB. Scared the crap out of myself, where I applied to Eagle the next day. Got an offer, but turned it down. Good thing I did, as that group would have been furloughed. Met @pdxcfi at the interview.

Sounds like Key Lime.

You flew it too??

Yep...and years later met up for beers in Chicago...right?

PAKP... NDB. Scared the crap out of myself, where I applied to Eagle the next day. Got an offer, but turned it down. Good thing I did, as that group would have been furloughed. Met @pdxcfi at the interview.

yeah, so happy when i upgraded to the 99.

Wash your mouth out with lye. Then drink the rest of the jug. Hateful, horrible beast. Broken 50% of the time, and those were the good days, because if it wasn't broken, you had to fly it. I will say it was pretty fun in the pattern, climbed like a raped ape. But then you got "to altitude" (meaning 10k, because no oxygen) and you had to hand-fly it for 3 hours with no trim wheel because that would be too easy. No, you get an electric trim switch which runs at Warp 8. So, for 7.5 hours every day...*blurp* nose low. *blurp* nose high. *blurp* nose low. *blurp* nose high. I cheer every time one gets turned in to beer cans.

It's also 90% of the reason that I should probably have a hearing aid. Oh, let's take this crappy kingair and remove the pressurization, then make sure the prop is freaking six feet from the pilot's head. I went on an mx flight one day without a headset and I haven't been right since. WHAT? I SAID I HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT SINCE.

#EXTREMELYtriggered

Last edited:
Wash your mouth out with lye. Then drink the rest of the jug. Hateful, horrible beast. Broken 50% of the time, and those were the good days, because if it wasn't broken, you had to fly it. I will say it was pretty fun in the pattern, climbed like a raped ape. But then you got "to altitude" (meaning 10k, because no oxygen) and you had to hand-fly it for 3 hours with no trim wheel because that would be too easy. No, you get an electric trim switch which runs at Warp 8. So, for 7.5 hours every day...*blurp* nose low. *blurp* nose high. *blurp* nose low. *blurp* nose high. I cheer every time one gets turned in to beer cans.

It's also 90% of the reason that I should probably have a hearing aid. Oh, let's take this crappy kingair and remove the pressurization, then make sure the prop is freaking six feet from the pilot's head. I went on an mx flight one day without a headset and I haven't been right since. WHAT? I SAID I HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT SINCE.

#EXTREMELYtriggered
Was this actually you?

Was this actually you?

Birds can be heroes, too!

I've told all of my stories before, but back at FLX we had a dude (newish guy, I think) have a very similar birdstrike in a 210. As the story goes, he had just leaned down to grab a bite from his plate of Chinese cat-rolls when some sort of avian dinosaur came barging through the windshield, right over his head, then kersplatted in the back, breaking the BACK window as well, and leaving chunks of dead dino all over the place. I used to have pictures, can't find them atm, but they were pretty similar to those above. As the story goes, he landed, tromped in to the hangar, left his ID and portable scale on the desk, and was never seen again.

Not sure of the veracity of that account, but I can confirm that that aircraft had a bird-shaped kill-marking painted on most ricky-tick. 4502U I want to say? It was one of the late model ones with the 550. Didn't fly straight worth a damn, but that might not have been the bird's fault...none of them did. In point of fact, that MIGHT have been the same airplane that had one wing from an "N" and one wing from an "M", hard to remember.

Back