Daily life?

Slaps22

I'm considering attending ATP, but I wanted to clear up a few questions I had. I'm sure there will be different answers for different locations, but I am just looking for the basics.

1. Do more 90 day students get out ahead or behind schedule?
2. As far as studying during my time there, do most students study what they learned that day or study in preparation for the next day?
3. I plan to attend at a time when Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years fall right on top of it. What is ATP's time-off for the holidays policy?

Thanks for any info.

As an ATP student, you can study as much as you want or as little as you want. You can go out as much as you want or as little as you want. You can get drunk as much as you want or never get drunk. No one at ATP will slap your wrist, they will simply kick you out the door for being a jackass.

I think most 90-day people usually on average finish within a few days or so of the 90 day mark, due to weather and whatnot.

As far as studying goes, it's a good idea to study past-present-future material to be as prepared as possible. I saw a lot of people in the apartments just messing around playing video games or whatever, which is fine. They cram a lot of stuff in your head in 90 days and you need to relax. Just don't get lazy and start failing checkrides.

I think ATP closes doors for 1 day for X-mas and New Years. Other than that they are flying everyday.

I'm considering attending ATP, but I wanted to clear up a few questions I had. I'm sure there will be different answers for different locations, but I am just looking for the basics.

1. Do more 90 day students get out ahead or behind schedule? From my experience most people get done either around the 90 day mark or after. I have never seen anyone finish early. ( Just my experience. I got done 2 weeks late and that was deemed as pretty good.)
2. As far as studying during my time there, do most students study what they learned that day or study in preparation for the next day? This seems to depend on the person. I was always studying to the next day because I never wanted to get behind. If I found anything I was weak on I would work on that plus anything for the next day.
3. I plan to attend at a time when Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years fall right on top of it. What is ATP's time-off for the holidays policy? I start ATP last December 3. I know they gave everyone about 4 days around Thanksgiving. We had 5 days around X-mas and I believe we had new years day off. I'm sure this changes from year to year.

This is just from my experience with ATP which lasted until the end of May of 2008. The times that people get done in will vary depending on how many instructors compared to students are at the location you attend. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Anyways have fun with it.

Thanks for any info.

Ok thanks for the info guys. DL, I'm assuming the ideal student/instructor ratio would be one on one. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks again.

It might be one on one student/instructor ratio now. That certainly was not the case when I started at FTY in Jan 08. It was more like 6:1. But the ratio improved over the 3 months.

I finished in 94 days. It was actually way too long since I came in with an instrument rating. The instructors (all were great IMO) were just spread too thin.

Studying is as much as you think is necessary. One recommendation: find some other place to study instead of the school. Most days trying to study at the school resulted in hours of wasted BS time. Which is fun, but does not get the job done.

My experience was unusual because I had the instrument rating going in to the program. Most days when I was not flying I was either studying for the CFI initial or drinking.

Ok thanks for the info guys. DL, I'm assuming the ideal student/instructor ratio would be one on one. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks again.

Of course one on one is the ideal, but it is not the way it normally goes. When I first started at FTY MATT152 was there. The ratio was 6 students to 1 CFI in the ACPP and 8 students to 1 CFI in the Private program. Thats was when EVERYONE was getting hired by the airlines and instructors where hard to come by. Now that is not a problem. During my training for multi and instrument there was 2 to 3 students per CFI. During comm. and cfi it got a little worse. What location are you looking at going to??

I'm looking to head south, maybe to Panama City, Daytona, or Jax. I hear those three locations are different in many aspects. Any particular advice is much appreciated.

I'm looking to head south, maybe to Panama City, Daytona, or Jax. I hear those three locations are different in many aspects. Any particular advice is much appreciated.

I am not an ATP student. Just inquiring about the ACPP to do sometime next year. Although, i did take a short drive to go check out the DAB ATP location. It was really neat. They have new planes and a pretty relaxed location. They also have Embry Riddle next door aswell as Pheniox East? and possibly one more. Seems like a nice airport. Next to the beach too. Although Daytona in its self is a really 'sketchy' town.

Just thought i would let you know what i think of DAB.

Cheers:buck:

You'll fly brand-new (some 2000, but mostly 2007/2008) Seminoles at the Dallas (Arlington) location. I flew one yesterday that had only 35 hours on the Hobbs. Ah... that "new plane smell"!

Excellent instructors here, too.

Good luck to you, whichever location you choose!

It might be one on one student/instructor ratio now. That certainly was not the case when I started at FTY in Jan 08. It was more like 6:1. But the ratio improved over the 3 months.

I finished in 94 days. It was actually way too long since I came in with an instrument rating. The instructors (all were great IMO) were just spread too thin.

Studying is as much as you think is necessary. One recommendation: find some other place to study instead of the school. Most days trying to study at the school resulted in hours of wasted BS time. Which is fun, but does not get the job done.

My experience was unusual because I had the instrument rating going in to the program. Most days when I was not flying I was either studying for the CFI initial or drinking.

I am thinking about going to ATP. I am finishing up my instrument at a pretty good FBO. Would you recommend enrolling in the Airline Career Pilot program with a instrument already or is it a waste of time and money?

I am doing the ACPP 90 day at the RIC location. Alls I have to say is this place is really awesome. Really cool instructors, we get the 1979 models, and the 2000 models, which are both here everyday. We usually have about 6 seminoles here so you don't have to worry about not having an airplane, also we have a bunch of skyhawks here incase you need to do a time build or for training for your single commercial and stuff. The FBO is really nice and really busy with corporate and GA aircraft as well as the occasional F-18 and 737. For the holidays, I was able to take off pretty much whatever days I wanted. For thanksgiving I took off a week and the same for christmas. They were really flexable with me and willing to work it out. RIC airport is awesome too. Flying out of class Charlie airspace gives you alot of experience with the radios and there are a bunch of small airports within 15 miles that are uncontrolled with various instrument approaches which is really convenient. I took my instrument written and CFII written before I came so that helped me out alot so far. Ive been busy with studying, mostly studying for things that are going to be coming up, mostly instrument stuff. I just got my multi-private the other day. Man the seminole is a really awesome airplane.

I would recommend this program for anyone who is serious about becoming an airline pilot. You are in an airline environment everyday, it is very good career training.

If you want to have fun go to either Panama City or Dayton. Do not go to JAX!!! Ask anyone except for instructors that work there and 90% of them will tell you the same thing.

1. Do more 90 day students get out ahead or behind schedule?
2. As far as studying during my time there, do most students study what they learned that day or study in preparation for the next day?
3. I plan to attend at a time when Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years fall right on top of it. What is ATP's time-off for the holidays policy?

Thanks for any info.

1. It depends on too many factors to make the call. If you see the AD in the upper right hand corner for the ATP CFI school, the female whose picture is featured in it managed to complete the program in something stupid like 75 days. I would say most go over by a few weeks. But ATP will NOT charge you to stay at the apartments for longer.

2. You pretty much study everything. When your in the PPL-ME stage you study the supplement. IFR stage you study the IFR written, and your always using the sim, so your not always just talking about it, your actually doing it in the sim. Which in my opinion is one of the best parts of ATP. Frasca SIM for use whenever, however much you want, and for free. CMEL phase its back to the supplement. CFI, its everything.

3. Work out your schedule with your instructor. If you go to JAX they will run your life. If you go to DAB or places without a manager, its between you and your CFI about your schedule, as long as your finishing stuff up in time.

Have fun in your decision! Its a great time!

Back