Cutting EAS?

I think it is needed, but if unemployment says I have to consider a two hour one way commute daily then maybe it should be looked if service is within 90 minute drive or something.

I already pay an arm and a leg for a ticket home on a subsidized route, I don't want to imagine what Alaska Air would charge me if WRG's EAS funding was cut.

There is a lot of painful cuts coming up. As much as I know how much this would affect the aviation community, I say cut. Sorry. If it can not make it on its own, it should not exist. A flight to save 50 minutes of driving (there are quite a few of those in the lower 48) is stupid.

Im trying to think of the Colgan EAS routes out of IAD, and who wants them around. AOO-JST was John Murtha, who has now passed away. BKW Im guessing Robert Byrd? Who has now passed away. We do the BKW route with SHD. SHD can hold its own some days, filling up an aircraft. However they are within a 2 hour drive of IAD, and 45 minutes of CHO. CKB will never go away due to the FBI having a little known headquarters based in the town. MGW... Those guys can drive to PIT, or build a bigger runway and see if any airlines want to start service.

"Closer oversite" sounds great, but who will be doing the "closer oversite"? Someone in the government? Someone with no business experience? Of course there will be no congressional influence at all.
What is necessary service, what is not necessary service? It's another case of "cut someone else's free/subsidized stuff but don't cut mine".

Looks like the talks of this are really heating up with John McCain stating that he'd like to see an end to ALL EAS funding including for Alaska.

Im trying to think of the Colgan EAS routes out of IAD, and who wants them around. AOO-JST was John Murtha, who has now passed away. BKW Im guessing Robert Byrd? Who has now passed away. We do the BKW route with SHD. SHD can hold its own some days, filling up an aircraft. However they are within a 2 hour drive of IAD, and 45 minutes of CHO. CKB will never go away due to the FBI having a little known headquarters based in the town. MGW... Those guys can drive to PIT, or build a bigger runway and see if any airlines want to start service.

I would definitely be glad to see the AOO-JST and CKB-MGW runs go away. A 7 minute flight is ridiculous. AOO is also only a half hour drive from SCE since they built that highway to connect them.

I would definitely be glad to see the AOO-JST and CKB-MGW runs go away. A 7 minute flight is ridiculous. AOO is also only a half hour drive from SCE since they built that highway to connect them.

I remember doing Johnstown- Altoona on my second day of IOE and....we are rolling out on the runway in Altoona and Im thinking "WHAT JUST HAPPENED HERE?"

"It's exactly in the political sweet spot," Borenstein said. Lawmakers don't feel it's worth upsetting the few people the program serves to achieve what amounts to a modest savings in federal budget terms, he said.

unfortunately, this is one of the problems with government; avoiding what needs to be done at the risk of not being elected next time around. Imagine how much could be accomplished if politicians did what was good for the people instead of doing things based on re-election. that is all.

Back