Current or not?

I hope things work out. Please keep us posted on how this works out as this can affect any one of us.

I dont know if this will work or not but when i got my CFI i logged into faasafety.gov and saw that the issuance of a cfi certificate counted for 2 wings phases which gives you an automatic BFR. Here is the link: https://faasafety.gov/WINGS/pub/accreditedactivities/accreditedActivityViewer.aspx?aaid=273
The only thing you would have to do is submit it to your recommending CFI for validation. Dont know if it'll work but its worth a shot.

Online Wings actually qualify for a BFR only if the logbook carries the subsequent endorsements as recommended on the details page. The validation in itself is only for qualifying the issuance of the certificate and wings. I can validate (give credit for) any FAAST course in my account, to anyone, yet in terms of a BFR I am only permitted to provide the necessary 1 hour of ground. I've had entirely different CFI's validate some of my flight credits. I love the FAAST wings but view it as an additional way of having a track record of currency training and continued educational activity. For anything else I use the "conventional" BFR or IPC endorsement. Thats 'overcompliance', I know - but a simple mistake can cause major anxiety and thats just not worth it. Besides logbooks suffer from all this writing on the memoranda pages...

Oh my gosh, I have read this, too.

The only thing is that this doesn't specifically address an addition of a rating onto said CFI cert, but I could be wrong. Thanks for posting this.
Going back to tgrayson's earlier comment,
I don't think it's reasonable to draw the conclusion that a new rating to a Flight Instructor certificate would count as a Flight Review when the initial certificate and rating do not.
I have one very small concern with the response. Since the FAA is on record that a "CFI" ride does not count as a "pilot" ride, the FAA could consider the response as being an indication of lack of knowledge, the rough equivalent of, "well, when I soloed that student without him accomplishing one of the required pre-solo tasks, I really didn't think he ha do."

My WAG is that the long controversy over the CFI ride question and the recency of the Chief counsel's final clarification were the reason for the lack of certificate action to begin with.

Man, I really feel for you. I wouldn't have given them my logbook. I would have just told them I could get it for them in a reasonable amount of time. They may have just gone away after seeing your certs. I really don't think your nightmare is over, because of the LOI tgrayson posted above. I hope it wall works out for you.

Thanks for all of the responses. It's great to get these reactions and to have your support.

Yes it's a bummer for us 61/91 pilots and I hate it. Having been through 141 training where they hold your hand and have a records department, I don't think we get adequate training on how to do this stuff yourself. They hand you a TCO and an SOP and dust off your gold wings and off you go.

I have a friend in Wichita who is an Inspector, and interestingly enough, he agrees with my stand point and would share my sentiments that I shouldn't have gotten the Letter of Correction. Either way, I have not received a response from the issuing FAA Agent regarding my letter to them in response.

Regarding the submission of the logbooks; It's true I probably didn't have to provide them then and there, but my thinking is why wouldn't I or what reason do I have not to cooperate. I thought to myself that if I didn't produce them then and there, it would cause them to want to come back again, or continue to pursue their inquiry and I was hoping for an in and out, open and shut case because I had no reason to suspect that I was in the wrong.

Again, there's nothing penalizing me here, it's just like getting a warning on your driver's license. No official action but if you get pulled over again, it will show up. I certainly don't want this on there because I don't know if a prospective employer will be able to see this either.

I also think that i didn't get violated because I proved that it was not my intent to violate FAR 61.56, it was merely a misunderstanding. Course ignorance doesn't count for much in legal situations either.

I will post anything else that I hear from the FAA when I hear from them.

Regarding the submission of the logbooks; It's true I probably didn't have to provide them then and there, but my thinking is why wouldn't I or what reason do I have not to cooperate.

I guess you have learned this one the hard way now. Never show or say anything more than the legally required minimum to anyone from the FAA without first consulting your lawyer.

Good luck to you... let us know how it turns out.

Back