Currency and Night Flight

I was just perusing the FAR tonight, and was going through Part 61.57 regarding PIC currency. Basically...you can't take passengers along if you haven't done 3 take offs and landings within the last 90 days.

Same goes for night flight. My question is, if on the 88th day, I do 3 take offs and landings at night, does that also qualify me to take on passengers during daylight hours as well? Seems like I can, unless I've over-read a sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
I was just perusing the FAR tonight, and was going through Part 61.57 regarding PIC currency. Basically...you can't take passengers along if you haven't done 3 take offs and landings within the last 90 days.

Same goes for night flight. My question is, if on the 88th day, I do 3 take offs and landings at night, does that also qualify me to take on passengers during daylight hours as well? Seems like I can, unless I've over-read a sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the night currency (full stops) also qualify for day carriage. Though I've never figured out why it makes a difference to do full-stops for currency at night, when only touch/goes are required for day.

In an nutshell, yes, you'll be current for both day and night if you do your t/o and landings at night. I used to do this all the time when renting airplanes.. A good way to save a little cash, and most places you rent planes from prohibit touch and goes without an instructor on board anyway.

Paul

Better to do more than three. In fact, why not go up with a CFI for a couple of hours of dual? You could go up near sunset, do some airwork, and finish by doing some landings back at home base, at night.

You'd be knocking the rust off and having fun!

...and helping some poor, hungry CFI like me eat for the week!
laugh.gif
smile.gif

Back