Crop Dusting Redux

[ QUOTE ]
Ah yes. And one of the fruits of my labor. Sorry, but I had to black out my toll free number. But feel free to call me on the other, assuming of course that ya got something important to say. Don't even THINK about pranking me.

vrodsign.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, these were taken in March, 1996.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this one:

[ QUOTE ]
NTSB Identification: CHI96LA119 . The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB Imaging System.
14 CFR Part 137: Agricultural
Accident occurred Tuesday, March 26, 1996 in WYATT, MO
Probable Cause Approval Date: 7/11/96
Aircraft: Ayres S2-R, registration: N3024V
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
The pilot reported that while taking off from a road a 'strong crosswind gust' was encountered. The right wing was lifted by the wind resulting in the left wing and left gear contacting the ground. The left wing caught in the dirt and the airplane flipped over.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

the pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during takeoff. A factor was the crosswind condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet there's more to the story than listed here, though!
BTW, "one uninjured"? Must be red Kool-Aid then, eh?
ooo.gif

Looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"...

I have a standing offer with some family to go and spray for the duration of this summer. The operation has 2 AgCats and a Weatherely, all radial. I am a little nervous though, never sprayed before and am currently flying King Airs doing air ambulance and charter work. How nasty is the state licensing requirements for aerial applicators? I have heard that can be a pretty rough deal.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a standing offer with some family to go and spray for the duration of this summer. The operation has 2 AgCats and a Weatherely, all radial. I am a little nervous though, never sprayed before and am currently flying King Airs doing air ambulance and charter work. How nasty is the state licensing requirements for aerial applicators? I have heard that can be a pretty rough deal.

[/ QUOTE ]What state?

I saw an ad for a crop dusting school that said they would insure you for the first year after you graduate. Apparently that is one of the sticking points of breaking into the field. Can you comment on if that is of any practical value or if the school is just a scam?

web page

[ QUOTE ]
I saw an ad for a crop dusting school that said they would insure you for the first year after you graduate. Apparently that is one of the sticking points of breaking into the field. Can you comment on if that is of any practical value or if the school is just a scam?

<a href="www.agflight.com" target="_blank">web page</a>

[/ QUOTE ]
I checked out the page, and my guess would be that it is a little of both, practical AND scam. First, all the website says is that you can GET insurance. It doesn't say how much that insurance will cost. It doesn't say if it's just chemical liability or if it can get you hull coverage too.

As a rule, getting the insurance isn't that hard. It's AFFORDING it that is hard. Often new crop dusters are required to pay the difference between what the insurance costs to hire them as low-time ag pilots and what the employer cost would be to hire an experienced ag pilot. And, of course, there are the guys that will "fly for free". Because, as a rule, if you can get that first seat you've just overcome the tallest hurdle. From then on out all you have to do is do a good job. And stay alive of course.
smile.gif

I tried calling them to get the lowdown but got a machine.

I'd take it with a grain of salt personally. The odds that someone could go from 0 time to 250 hours and get a job crop dusting is, well, slim to none. About the same odds, or maybe a little worse (because there are so few crop dusting employers, only about 3,000 businesses in the US), than a pilot in the same scenario could get hired into an entry-level airline seat. So in a way, it's a safe bet for them. They don't have to show the insurance unless the student is employed. Those that are unemployable would be, by default, nonissues. On the other hand, those pilots with experience who were transitioning into the industry, well, they're a little more employable. That being the case I'm sure that they can arrange insurance. But like I noted, they make no mention of how much it will cost. They're probably figuring on the new-hire stepping into, well, to put it tactfully, a "less than desirable seat". Often these seats are in older, high time aircraft, so the hull wouldn't be a lot if any at all. And I'm gonna tell you right now that the required chemical liability insurance is a downright bargain. I'd bet it would run less than 5K.

But the fact of the matter is that if the school can get a pilot insured then that pilot or his new employer could probably accomplish the same themselves without the school's help..

Now this is my educated guess on the situation. I could be wrong and if so I'll be the first to admit it. But man, I know this business like the back of my hand, so I'll bet that I'm right.

Hey, it looks good, and if there weren't something to it I'd seriously doubt that they'd advertise it. But I get the feeling that they're making a bigger deal of it than it really is.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There is what appears to be a round engine in the background that probably doesn't belong to the plane in the foreground....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. I guess the engine DID belong to it. I hope you walked away and weren't carried away.

I don't mean to hijack the thread with hijinks, but I noticed you mentioned West Helena a few times. Do you do a lot of 'Agging' around that area?

I was born in Helena, Arkansas, though have lived in NY most my life
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to hijack the thread with hijinks, but I noticed you mentioned West Helena a few times. Do you do a lot of 'Agging' around that area?

I was born in Helena, Arkansas, though have lived in NY most my life
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my territory is in Southeast Missouri, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky and Northwestern Tennessee.

Darryll Riddell, who owns Riddell Flying Service is based there. I have bought several airplanes from him and I flew the Fat Cat out to Reno for him and the Hatfields of Nunica, MI.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, these were taken in March, 1996.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this one:

[ QUOTE ]
NTSB Identification: CHI96LA119 . The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB Imaging System.
14 CFR Part 137: Agricultural
Accident occurred Tuesday, March 26, 1996 in WYATT, MO
Probable Cause Approval Date: 7/11/96
Aircraft: Ayres S2-R, registration: N3024V
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
The pilot reported that while taking off from a road a 'strong crosswind gust' was encountered. The right wing was lifted by the wind resulting in the left wing and left gear contacting the ground. The left wing caught in the dirt and the airplane flipped over.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

the pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during takeoff. A factor was the crosswind condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet there's more to the story than listed here, though!
BTW, "one uninjured"? Must be red Kool-Aid then, eh?
ooo.gif

Looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"...

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be the one. Not quite what happened though.

I bought that airplane in Nov. 1995 at the end of my first year in business. I actually got it after my first season had ended. It was the newest aircraft I've ever owned and by far the lowest time aircraft I've ever flown. It had about 45 hours TTSN. I did some unexpected work for a company here in January of 1996. I think I had waxed it like four times but I had only put about twenty hours on the aircraft when my first big contract of the season came in. I was to apply 200#/acre urea (dry fertilizer) on 100 acres of wheat. The problem was it was so wet that the nearest usable runway was about 12 miles away. I could carry about 2,200# per load so I had 9 loads to do. Which, because the airstrip I needed to use was so far away, meant that I was going to have to fly 108 nonrevenue miles. Not good.

But I had a possible alternative. Less than a half mile away from the field that I was to fertilize was a nice, straight 3 mile long rarely-used road. And that was real tempting.

But this just the beginning of my second year in business. And while I had approximately 400 hours of crop dusting in helicopters I only had around 250 hours of time as an airplane ag pilot. Bottom line? I was inexperienced. And my inexperience allowed me to kind of delude myself. But, in my defense, I did call on a much older crop duster with years of experience to ask him about my road idea and what he would do.

He knew exactly what road I was speaking of and he said that he had used it before himself. "Just be careul," he said. So that night after I got off the phone with him I made up my mind that I would use the road. I figured it would save me around $250 on a $900 work order.

The next morning I had the fertilizer company set up their tender truck on the east end of the road next to the levee. I had my dad keep watch on the western end to stop any traffic, however unlikely that was. After I received word that everyone was in place I fired up and flew south to start work. The road, as noted, ran E-W. It was a bit breezy that morning with the winds around 12mph gusting 18mph from the north. And there, on the south side of my nice long asphalt road/runway was my nemesis: a small electical line and its poles. I was a bit nervous about the crosswind but the simple fact of the matter was I should have been downright scared. I just didn't know enough to BE scared. And I was deluding myself as to my abilities at the time.

I circled the road and landed to the east. The crosswind was noticeable but the landing was uneventful and I thought it was gonna be a cakewalk.

I taxied to the eastern end of the road, spun around, got out, popped the hopper top and stuffed the hopper with as much urea as I could get in there. Then I got in, spun on around lined up and brought the power in heading to the west with the first load of the first real contract of the beginning season. Here is a picture of the road while standing on the western end looking back to the east. If you look close you can see what looks a bit like a green building in the field on the right (south) side of the road:
thrushfield%20(small).jpg

The takeoff run was noneventful. Once the aircraft was on the step (tail is up and flying) I was hit by a rather strong gust from my right (the north) but I corrected and continued increasing in speed. I reached approximately 80-90mph and started pulling back on the stick to rotate.

So I'm just rotating.

Pulling back, mains off. As soon as the mains broke ground I caught another gust of wind from the north. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but in this case it was. When the gust hit me I corrected but not enough. The gust pushed me to the south and even though I was continually correcting it just wasn't enough. I heard a sharp bang and from then on it was outta my hands. I had caught the last three inches of my left wing on one of the telephone poles that you see in the picture on my last post. The impact from the pole slammed the airplane down on the ground and caused the tail to start coming up. Remember, I had just rotated and had over 200 gallons of 100LL on board and a full hopper of urea so I estimate my speed at that time was ~85mph.

As noted, the tail came up and right up onto her nose she went. Of course when the tail reached a certain point the other end with the spinny thing met the hard road. The prop hit the road and time stood still.

Until you have experienced it, if you're unlucky enough to, it's hard to imagine what it's like when a 600hp radial engine goes from full power to dead stop in a second. It goes from so overwhelmingly loud to dead silence in a heartbeat. It's one of those "silence is deadening" things.

But that wasn't the end. There was still a heck of a lot of inertia that wasn't going to be denied.

The nose hit, engine stopped, dead quiet, or so it seemed, and then the metal started screeching. The airplane continued it's roll toward its back and still kept going. As it rolled on the tail feathers, virtually everything from the cockpit back crumpled, which made the whole jumble a little more round to accommodate the roll. The wings acted as outriggers keeping the whole mess stabilized. I would estimate the airplane rolled a total of six times before it came to rest, nose down, as it appears in these photos.

And there wasn't a darn thing I could do but ride. I never lost consciousness but I can't say I was fully aware of how much I was spinning either. About halfway through the accident the front windscreen shattered and I remember glass flying at me. I distinctly remember thinking "so I guess this is how it ends".

Finally it stopped. From start to finish, maybe three-four seconds. But they were those yearseconds.
thrspreader%20(small).jpg

So here I found myself, buckled in and staring at the ground. My first thought was of how so many guys successfully survive the accident but are injured getting out of the aircraft, which was quickly followed by the thought that there were over two hundred gallons of gas on board and I needed to get the hell out. As I was trying to brace myself so that I wouldn't fall when I undid my belt I noticed the blood dripping off my nose and then I noticed where I had bled all over the windscreen in front of me. No pain, just blood. After another couple of seconds I got my belt undone, got the door open and jumped out to the ground. I'd say twenty seconds had elapsed since the beginning of the accident. I took my helmet off and threw it on the ground and a despair that's hard to imagine started coming on into my head. And it took its coat and shoes off in anticipation of staying a while.

It was about then that my dad came screeching up in his truck. He hadn't seen me yet as I'd exited on the side away from him. But here he was running through the field to get to me. Then he saw me. And I could tell by the look in his eyes that I didn't look too good. He ran up and the first words out of his mouth were "thank God Stephen, you're alive, I was telling myself the whole way up the road that I was going to be pulling your body out of the wreck after what I saw!". Then he started insisting that I lay down and he'd go call an ambulance. I told him no, I was okay, just get me a paper towel for my head. Anyway, I realized there was not a thing I could do so I went ahead and walked with him to his pickup. He ripped off a paper towel and I gingerly started wiping the blood off my face. Once I could finally see the wound I felt a little better. It wasn't good but it wasn't bad either. I had a pretty good size gash diagonally across my forehead and another small gash right next to it. The gashes were just a bit more than superficial but, as I'm sure you're all aware, head wounds are fantastic bleeders.

Dad drove me to the hospital in SIK to get stitched up. The ride over there was horrible. I had been married less than two months and I felt like this job was going to make my wife a widow. I told my dad I was quitting. Hehe, I think he was a bit relieved. So I set there for a minute or so and thought about the implications of what I was thinking, of what had happened, the whole nine yards. Then I realized what I was doing. "Hell no I'm not quitting!" I told him. He didn't say anything and in another five minutes we were at the hospital.

I walked into the hospital covered with blood and holding a blood soaked paper towel to my head. The nurse had seen that before I'm sure, but she kinda freaked when she asked what had happened and I told her I'd just wrecked my airplane. I think she must have been expecting something like Sioux Falls because she got a scared look on her face and started asking "how many more, how many more?" I told her it was just me and she calmed down and told me to go on back. A nurse met me and took me to the room. The doc came in and started sewing. He laughed and said he'd seen it all, even sewed up a guy that got attacked by a lion one time but I was his first airplane wreck. I told him that was probably because most people in airplane wrecks needed immediate attention but it wasn't medical it was mortuarial. He got a kick out of that. Then he kinda said under his breath "oh no". It's not a good thing when a doctor looking at you says "oh no". He was done sewing but I still freaked and immediately started demanding to know what the hell was wrong. "I'm sorry Stephen," he said. "I gave you thirteen stitches. If I would have realized it I would have given you fourteen."

Now that struck me as pretty damn funny. I had just survived that mess and he's worried about me getting thirteen stitches. I told him not to worry about it, I'm not superstitious and off he went.

They wanted to keep me for a couple of hours to make sure I wasn't concussed. My dad was back there with me and I knew I needed to let my wife, who was at work, know what had happened and that I was okay but my pride and ego were starting to death rattle. Her work was across the river in Illinois but the company had a toll free number so I reeled it off to dad who wrote it down and went off to call Sherry. A nurse and a paramedic came in and started cleaning the blood out of my fingernails and off my hands when dad walked back in.

"Uh, Stephen," he said, "you gave me the wrong telephone number. I just spoke with Bob Reeves."

I was totally stunned. "Oh my God," I said, "you didn't tell him did you?"

Dad kinda laughed and said he hadn't. But I had noticed when I said that the nurse and para kinda laughed too, because they realized who Bob Reeves was. Now you know too.

The next day every muscle in my body was stiff as a board. And I wanted to crawl under a rock and die. But instead I called Mid-Continent Aircraft Corporation and started making arrangements to get a new aircraft. I was flying again two days later.

Back