CRJ Questions

That little purple line is called the "trend vector." Pretty cool, huh? I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to fly an airplane without one- I've come to rely on it so much!

To add my two cents to this conversation. I was flying ona Southwest 737-700 (very cool plane) from LAX-SLC we were still a bit out and lined up nicely on the localizer for 16R. Looking out the window I waited for the "pilot flying" to pop the spoilers to slow us down as this was normal approach behavior when I flew Southwest but instead he dropped the gear. I was quite alarmed by this at the time as it was very different.

Normally when I fly SWA the pilot slows us down first by poping the spoilers then starts gettin the plane "dirty" by putting the flaps down and then when it looks (to me anyways) like he has flaps 25 in the gear come down. I had always wondered why that was done but never ever thought to ask so thanks for bringin this subject up H46Bubba.

I have unfortunately never had the pleasure of flying ina CRJ or an ERJ because I was able to fly the same route in a SWA 737 or a Delta jet but one day I'd hope to maybe take a trip on the lil plane but here are a few quick questions to one and all.

1.) Why would you want to turn the autopilot on @ 600ft. When I become an airline pilot I'd want to fly to "flight level" then turn on the autopilot. I'd also want to hand fly the decent and approach. It'd keep the flying skills sharp and keep me from getting lazy and too dependant on the AP.

2.) Does the CRJ have "autothrottle"? Also is the CRJ a "fly by wire" aircraft?

3.) Why doesn't the CRJ have "main gear doors"? I was hoping that Bombardier would have added them on the 700 & 900. No such luck but the Global Express has gear doors why not the CRJ?

4.) Will Bombardier make an updated version of the CRJ-200 with leading edge slats?

5.) And finally this question is for SkyWChris and any and all who wanna answer.

Sky west is a cool regional airline they only require 1000TT and 100 multi ya can't beat that. But why are they still flying Brazilias when the rest of the industry is going all jet and why haven't they ordered CRJ 700 & 900's?....Well guess that means I'll be over at Comair or ASA new planes and no prop jobs.

Save the B-757

#1) You think that now but after flying a half dozen legs and/or IAP's to minimums day after day after day after day after day after day after day your attitude on the use of autopilot will change. I like to hand fly as much as the next guy but I also make good se of the autopilot. You'll see what I'm talking about someday.

#2) Autothrottles are an option most airlines don't take because they add weight, maintainence requirements, and simply aren't necessary. Many of the Challenger 604's have autothrottles installed, Cool toy - not all that necessary. #2B) Probably not fly by wire in the sense you're thinking of. The controls in the CRJ are actually connected to hydraulic power units at the control itsself that actually make the control move.

#3) Main gear doors would have no positives on the CRJ. They would add weight, increase drag, and add mechanical pieces that could fail.

#4) No - never. To add leading edge slats to the -200 would be a major, major undertaking. They'd have to redesign the wing and everything inside it. The inside of the wing has all kinds of things in it - anti-ice ducting, fuel tanks, hydraulic lines, etc,. etc, - all of those would have to be redesigned to a certain extent. It would be a looooong and expensive process. The -700 is the only updated -200 version you'll ever see.

#5) I don't know much about Skywest but I'll take a stab at it anyway. Not all airlines have the capital necessary to buy all jets - they're expensive. Not all airlines need -700s and -900s. Those jets are for "high yield"(more than 50 pax) long routes. And believe it or not - everybody brace yourself I'm about to make a sachreligious(sp??) comment - there are some missions that the mighty CRJ isn't perfectly suited for. There are some places that a turboprop can go and some things they can do that a jet can't.

Jason

Gay-Pilot18,

Don't be so quick to put down the turbo-prop, like it's something you get "stuck" flying. There are many regionals out there that don't need an RJ's 50 seat capacity, nor the fuel burn and $$ that accompany it for lightly traveled routes.

Last night I was flying with a student and the only other aircraft inbound was a Dash 8 (big twin turboprop). We did our stop and go and proceeded to take off on the 4,500' funway, we called our upwind and said good night to him. Next thing he says is
"We can put this thing down in less distance than that!"
My response, "This is a 152....I doubt it"

A minute later I hear "Are you still on frequency?"

My response, "Yes...And I see you used about 2/3 of that runway!!"

Dash 8 pilot "Hey, we only used flaps 15!"

Me: "Yeah yeah yeah...and I bet your reversers were broken too!"

Dash 8 pilot " The longest distance (take-off or landing) in our book is 1800 feet!

Other Dash 8 pilot in a low voice "If you pay me enough, I'll get this thing on a carrier...."

So....moral of the story...There is NO RJ out there that can do what a Dash 8 can do, carry about 30 passengers into a short field economically. Same thing with the Brasilia, the 1900 etc. They have their niche. I'd love to fly any of them!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be so quick to put down the turbo-prop, like it's something you get "stuck" flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, reminds me of my very first semester at Riddle. A kid down my hall was walking by my room and saw me putting up a cockpit poster of the 777. He got to yacking about how much he wanted to fly for a major, and blah blah blah. Then he said the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Word for word: "Man, I can't wait until I start flying jets. I hate these little 'props'." He hadn't even STARTED training for his private yet. I wanted to backhand him. Needless to say, he didn't make it. Last I heard a year ago, he was kicked out of Riddle's flight program and still didn't have his private.

I wish we had autothrottles- or at least something to sync up the fans. Some airplanes have a real pronounced wah-wah-wah when there's only a .1% split on the N1 fan. UGH!

Fly by wire, no. We still have cables that go from the yoke to the hydraulic power control units on the control surfaces. The spoilerons ARE fly-by-wire, but they only augment the ailerons.

I think the main gear doors only add weight and system complexity.

The Brasilias are here at Skywest for a while. We are slowly phasing them out, but as mentioned above, there are some places we fly that just don't need or can't handle a CRJ. Could you imagine LAX-SNA in an RJ?

This industry is strange. Continental Express got rid of all their props and furloughed a bunch of pilots. Starting July 1 Skywest will be the new Continental Connection in Houston flying Brasilias.

Jason pretty much has it nailed.

I have never landed "nose first" though, always got the mains to touch down before lowering the nose. I do recall my first jumpseat ride in a CRJ, and I thought they were about to plow it in to the ground. The nose actually came down a couple feet after touchdown so it IS an illusion.

Long live the mighty Dash 8!! I spent 1200 hours in the Dash and it truly is an amazing airplane. If we used flaps 45 for landing we had a Ref speed of something ridiculous like 85 knots! No joke. I don't have my boooks handy to look it up. Yeah it's a big slow turboprop but if there was a Dash 8 and a CRJ sitting next to each other on the ramp and all other things being equal(pay, schedule, etc) I'd take the Dash 8 ANY day. It's just a fun airplane to fly.

Jason

Ditto for the Jetstream. The main reason that I want an RJ class is for money and quality of life. Not to mention the fact that summer heat can really overpower our AC.

It is a really fun airplane to fly though. And I do mean fly! Our autopilot is a deferrable maintenance item so we stay proficient with hand flying.

And not to brag, but if we can't pass anything else in the sky, we can pass a Dash 8!
grin.gif

John, as of now I'm stuck in a C-172. At work I'm an H-46 and now, an MH-60S crewman. In November my time is up and I'm heading off to start DCA in Dec. I'm hoping to get on with Comair, since they do own the school, but my better preferences would be SkyWest or ASA, in that order. The CRJ is an awesome aircraft and will be around for a long time, I hope! It's like taking you're fathers sports car out vs. driving your mom's stationwagon. That's the difference between the RJ's and the big boys.

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares about being the fastest??? Don't you guys get paid by block time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speed counts on the last day of a four day trip when you're trying to catch a flight home!
grin.gif

And to be fair, the Dash 8 is a lot more comfortable to passengers than the Jetstream. It even has overhead compartments.

I flew on a dash-8 out of CLT once and thought I would lose my hearing. I don't remember it ever being that loud in any J-41. I still love the CRJ's quiet ride though. Is it very loud up front in the props?

Wasn't there a huge contraversy about the CRJ-200 approach category? I seem to remember that because of it's high stall speeds Bombardier had to "lobby" (take that as you will) the FAA to have the category figured on 1.28 x Vso instead of the standard 1.3 x Vso so that it didn't fall into the Cat E minimums usually reserved for military aircraft which would require much higher minimums.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it very loud up front in the props?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, although some make more noise than others. I normally wear earplugs under my H10-13.4. A lot of pilots use NC headsets.

Okay, this one is for you CRJ guys. What heasets do you prefer and what is the noise level in the cockpit? I see alot of guys with telex sets.

The CRJ is very quiet up front at altitude to the point that you really don't even need headsets at all. Down low when you're on hotel power and sitting on the barber pole the wind noise can get fairly high but the Telex 750's work fine. There are a handful of lightweight headsets that would be fine - just depends on which one you find more comfortable.

Jason

The old windshield wipers were REALLY Noisy. The new ones were somewhat quieter.

I always wore my Padded Dave Clark's.

I wear the Telex ANR 500. I think it's a great. Much lighter than my David Clarks, but better noise attenuation than the walkman-style 750. I had to wear earplugs with those and crank the radio volume up, especially in the older airplanes.

Overall, I like the CRJ's. I have yet to fly in the ERJ though. My only gripe with the CRJ is the windows are about 7 inches too low. I really have to crane my neck down and slouch in my seat to see out the window and I'm only 6 feet tall. Takeoffs in the CRJ are a lot of fun...lots of power.

Back