CRJ 200 Flap AD

I've had flaps fail on the 200 outta slc. Had to shoot an approach to minimums at flaps 0 ref speed. Flared so long over the runway I had to go missed. Got it the second time around.

I had to divert once to CDC in the 700 because slc was going below mins. While on downwind the flaps failed and we diverted from our diversion airport to Las Vegas. Not much can be done in CDC.

Hope you declared an emergency. Straight-in no flap approach speeds in the 200 are generally category E, which I don't think are commonly authorized.

"Someone I know" had a flap fail indicating 0 on departure out of Denver in a good winter storm, so they went to SLC (clear) instead of anywhere on the plains (ugly weather). An ILS at 170 kts is beyond the tolerances of terps at most airports.

Hope you declared an emergency. Straight-in no flap approach speeds in the 200 are generally category E, which I don't think are commonly authorized.

Cat E is fun. 202 is the fastest Ref I saw for a circle to land out of a TACAN once. Fun stuff, though common with a jet that has a permanent 68 degree wing sweep, to be at 180 for touchdown.

Regards flaps stuck down, the CRJ doesn't have an auto retract feature if passing X airspeed and the flaps are still down?

"Someone I know" had a flap fail indicating 0 on departure out of Denver in a good winter storm, so they went to SLC (clear) instead of anywhere on the plains (ugly weather). An ILS at 170 kts is beyond the tolerances of terps at most airports.

So long as you're not circling, which you wouldn't be on an ILS, protected area shouldn't be an issue. 170 is just inside E speed anyway, so Cat D DA shouldn't be a big deal either for missed.

Cat E is fun. 202 is the fastest Ref I saw for a circle to land out of a TACAN once. Fun stuff, though common with a jet that has a permanent 68 degree wing sweep, to be at 180 for touchdown.

Regards flaps stuck down, the CRJ doesn't have an auto retract feature if passing X airspeed and the flaps are still down?

So long as you're not circling, which you wouldn't be on an ILS, protected area shouldn't be an issue. 170 is just inside E speed anyway, so Cat D DA shouldn't be a big deal either for missed.
Load relief is for mainline pilots.

I had the flaps fail at zero (in cruise at 34,000 feet) once heading in to Charlotte and had to land at mins in a rain storm due to our alternate (AVL) being a poor choice with the flap issue. I think Ref was around 174 and the tire speed was just a few knots above it. Craziest approach I think I've ever flown.

I've had four flap failures in 9.5yrs which seems to be low compared to my other friends. As an FO I had them fail at 27, 20, and then at 45 but that was after we landed and tried to retract. As a CA, I have just had one and that was very similar to BobDDuck above. Enroute to BNA from DCA and they failed randomly at 32K. I wasn't that heavy landing in BNA so I think we were around 168-170 crossing the fence. 182 GS is the tire limit speed and I think 179 IAS is the max landing weight no flap speed. You're defiantly hauling the mail coming over the fence at that speed.

Auto retract....ha! (It doesn't)

Good point--I shouldn't have said terps tolerances. A no flap approach to mins isn't a big deal; the problem is that cat E minimums are rarely published in Jepp/govt charts so it becomes prudent to CYA by declaring. The FAA pays (paid? I've been out for 6 years) really close attention to flap failure-related diversions in the CRJ200.

I had a slat fail in the -700, that was trippy because the approach was way nose down like the -200.

Interesting to hear everyone's stories about this. I had one just over a year ago, departing BJI early in the morning. Flap Fail message during retraction, stuck at 20 degrees. I'm definitely not a fan of the 200 (the 7/900 are MUCH better airplanes).

Auto retract....ha! (It doesn't)

Interesting. Was just curious, only because the A-10 had a auto retract feature so if you forgot the flaps on takeoff, they'd retract above something like 190, if I remember right. But it was only for takeoff flaps (7 degrees). Full flaps (the only other flap setting), the retract feature didn't operate.

The 117 didn't matter, as it had no flaps, no speed brakes, no airframe drag device of any kind except for landing gear. :)

Good point--I shouldn't have said terps tolerances. A no flap approach to mins isn't a big deal; the problem is that cat E minimums are rarely published in Jepp/govt charts so it becomes prudent to CYA by declaring. The FAA pays (paid? I've been out for 6 years) really close attention to flap failure-related diversions in the CRJ200.

I had a slat fail in the -700, that was trippy because the approach was way nose down like the -200.

Agreed. Nothing hurt by declaring, and is a prudent move. As it has fire units ready (announced emergency) in case something does happen on landing such as blown tire, hot brakes, etc, or worse. And negates the response time from their quarters were it an unannounced emergency by there being no declaration. You're already having to perform an operation not normally performed, and close to tire limits/tolerances.

For those not used to it, Cat E approach/touchdown speeds, you're really cooking. We had a drag chute for normal ops, but if it was wet runway or standing water (no thrust reversers), the chute wasn't allowed, and things like aero braking werent ever allowed, so stopping with brakes only became sporty real quick. :)

Welp, after reading this thread, I had a flap failure today. It was weird. It showed up when cruising along in level flight, so diverted back to the hub for the long runway. That thing wanted to float down! 10 years and 5000 hours in the CRJ and that was my first flap fail.

Never name the Dark One. ;)

Back