Crickets

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
About 10 minutes prior to push, your ground crew notifies you that one of the inbound boxes, full of crickets, has burst and there's an infestation of several hundred in your cargo bin.

You're about 40 minutes prior to scheduled pushback.

[ QUOTE ]
About 10 minutes prior to push, your ground crew notifies you that one of the inbound boxes, full of crickets, has burst and there's an infestation of several hundred in your cargo bin.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned, the airplane is grounded until they can remove all the crickets and/or exterminate them. Bugs can get into very tight openings and they could get into wiring/circuitry and cause shorts or even a fire in the wrong place.

I was starting to wonder if Doug has had a bad day or two with the "Your the Captain" posts
spin2.gif

These are things that "a friend" may have experienced. If I, in fact, started posting about behind the scenes stuff which I or the captain neglected to forward a report with the CPO, I'd have some substantial liability.

[ QUOTE ]
Continue the flight and tell the passengers to smash 'em as you see 'em J/K!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I had something sorta related in flight. I was flying from MSP-NRT on a Northwest 747 and I had used a bunch of my freaky flier miles to upgrade and I got put in the bubble. So there was a bit of a mosquito problem up there, the whole flight out there, every 5 minutes you'd here somebody smack one with a magazine and after a while every time somebody did it they'd go "got one!".

[ QUOTE ]
hey, if you climb high enought they'll freeze, right?

j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

Suprisingly, no!

We've got restrictions on where we keep pets, but you can literally load crickets on any of the bins, including the unheated bins, on the MD-80's

If you freeze them that might not kill them. Ever freez a bee in a jar? They come back when you heat them back up, so if you got to a lower altitude they'd be crawling around again.

please tell me your being sarcastic! could you imagine some lady screaming on board a flying jet because she just saw a snake pass by in the crevice of the overhead bin?! hahaha

snakes & lizards can get into anywhere as long as they've got a small opening to go thru. might as well put some spiders and/or scorpions in there while your at it.
cwm27.gif
grin.gif

Then relase a mongoose to take care of the snakes. Follow that with a special breed of monkey that eats mongoose, what's special about this breed is that they die off after the mongoose supply is exhasted.
grin.gif

All this talk of crickets, snakes, spiders, and mongoose has me thinking that would be a cool exhibit, The Food Chain habitat on a MD80.

[ QUOTE ]
Then relase a mongoose to take care of the snakes. Follow that with a special breed of monkey that eats mongoose, what's special about this breed is that they die off after the mongoose supply is exhasted.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly. If there is a large predatory cat being freighted in the cargo hold, you could just release it and that would take care of the loose monkeys. Cricket problem solved! Chief pilot position, here I come.

And Kristie, yes I was being sarcastic.
smile.gif

First of all speaking for a ground crew guy, you would be lucky if they told you about. Second if they did tell anyone it would be the Supv and he might call mtc guys out. But more then likely you are going on a flight with crickets moving around. If you on your beloved -88 or -90 they will be in bin 1 right under you. The noise will make you think you are in the woods camping and if catch them use them for fishing
Smilecrunch.gif

BrettInLJ said:
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly. If there is a large predatory cat being freighted in the cargo hold, you could just release it and that would take care of the loose monkeys. Cricket problem solved! Chief pilot position, here I come.

And Kristie, yes I was being sarcastic.
smile.gif

Wouldn't it have been more witty if you had said, "And Kristie, no, I was not being sarcastic." :)

Doug Taylor said:

Call the dispatcher. They have all the answers!

I would just tell the passengers that the crickets are part of homeland security and all other information is classified. That should keep the passengers quiet while they silently try to figure out how crickets have anything to do with homeland security.

Back