Crew rest requirements

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
This is kind of embarrassing to ask, but I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around understanding crew rest requirements (Part 135; not sure if it differs from 121). Went over it in ground at the end of a nine hour day, so that may have had something to do with it.

I can draw you out a table of the regular, reduced, and compensatory times for the three block hour categories, but I'm having a tough time understanding how to apply them. Has anyone found a particularly good example of how it all works, or maybe an article or guide that explained it well?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer. I don't usually have trouble with these kinds of things, but I'm banging my head on a wall with this one for whatever reason.

Next couple years it won’t matter what the regs say, do it how your employer says and be glad the check clears.

Serious answer: Unscheduled rules or scheduled rules? Assigned duty period or no?

7 years ago it was 10 hours on 14 hours off. 13 days off per quarter but "herr durr we didn't call you yesterday so that was your day off."

At least it was easy to remember...

This is kind of embarrassing to ask, but I'm having a tough time wrapping my brain around understanding crew rest requirements (Part 135; not sure if it differs from 121). Went over it in ground at the end of a nine hour day, so that may have had something to do with it.

I can draw you out a table of the regular, reduced, and compensatory times for the three block hour categories, but I'm having a tough time understanding how to apply them. Has anyone found a particularly good example of how it all works, or maybe an article or guide that explained it well?

Appreciate any help you guys can offer. I don't usually have trouble with these kinds of things, but I'm banging my head on a wall with this one for whatever reason.
Everything explained for the proffessional pilot explains it pretty well.

But like Roger said, we have to know if you're using scheduled or non-scheduled rules. The answer to that will be in your op specs.
You can be assigned a consistent daily schedule and be on non-scheduled rules.

As mentioned Everything Explained is a great tool for this amongst a ton of other stuff. Check your opspecs to know whether you’re operating under scheduled or non-scheduled rules.

Remember that it’s all about looking back to see if you got rest within the preceding 24 hours. And the feds define that as (emphasis mine): Rest period means the period free of all responsibility for work or duty should the occasion arise.

Back