Crew pay augmentation fee

Lowlevel

Heehee.. Member
As the airlines continue to add fees and not raise aircrew pay, I have come up with the “CPAF”, or Crew Pay Augmentation Fee. Most passengers now seem to be willing to pay $3 for a Coke, $7 for a drink, or $3 for a snack. I think they would be willing to pay a $1 per crew member fee. After all, these crewmembers are responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft that they will be riding in.

Here is the plan: Every flight has a $1 per crewmember fee added to the ticket price. These funds are then paid, bi-monthly, to the crewmembers. It works pretty evenly across the spectrum of airline aircraft. If you fly a CRJ or ERJ and carry 50 people each flight, and do, for example, four legs a day, each crewmember makes $200 for the day from this fee. If you fly a 767 and carry 250 people on a trans-Atlantic flight, you make $250 for the day. This fee is not connected to your regular pay; it is in ADDITION to regular pay. As you can see, the fee added to the ticket price would vary by the amount of crewmembers on the aircraft, but one would think that people would rather pay $3 to $10 for the crew that will safely get them to their destination than $3 for a soda or a snack.
This fee would add on average $30K to $40K to the current pay that crewmembers currently earn yearly. Feasible? I believe it is! Your thoughts?

<Airline Management Mode>
Excellent Idea! We'd like to impliment your CPRF (Crew Pay Replacement Fee) Immediately!

Now we don;t have to pay flight crew at all, just pass on (less a 40% admin fee) the passengers fees. This will also mean we can return to the previous over-capacity situation, because it's now so much cheaper for us to fly 70 seat airplanes with only 20 passengers, because now only the flight crew will suffer!
</Airline Management Mode>

<Airline Management Mode>
Excellent Idea! We'd like to impliment your CPRF (Crew Pay Replacement Fee) Immediately!

Now we don;t have to pay flight crew at all, just pass on (less a 40% admin fee) the passengers fees. This will also mean we can return to the previous over-capacity situation, because it's now so much cheaper for us to fly 70 seat airplanes with only 20 passengers, because now only the flight crew will suffer!
</Airline Management Mode>
Augment (in addition to), and nobody will work for free (although we almost do now). What the nation really needs is for ALL pilots to refuse to fly until pay levels are raised. By ALL, I mean EVEN THE SENIOR GUYS! Many of those guys would probably do it, many may not. We are all professional pilots and need to stick together. See if they can replace thousands of pilots in a moments notice. May be a little hard to find 767 and 777 captains at the local job fairs. An unwise man once said "Why raise pilot pay when there is a supply of new people willing to fly for what I pay now." Take away the senior guys that are not immediately replaceable, and now they begin to reexamine their decisions. As everyone can see, this country and it's businesses cannot survive without airlines. Airlines cannot survive without aircrews.

Now, I know this forum is slow right now, but what does this have to do with Expat aviation? ;)

I promise in the next couple of days I'll put some stuff on here.

Now, I know this forum is slow right now, but what does this have to do with Expat aviation? ;)

I promise in the next couple of days I'll put some stuff on here.
For some reason it went on the Expat threads. Oh well, guess it was me! Anyway, if there need be a reason: The unfair pay and working conditions in the U.S. make you want to go to another country, where the pay is FAR superior??

As the airlines continue to add fees and not raise aircrew pay, I have come up with the “CPAF”, or Crew Pay Augmentation Fee. Most passengers now seem to be willing to pay $3 for a Coke, $7 for a drink, or $3 for a snack. I think they would be willing to pay a $1 per crew member fee. After all, these crewmembers are responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft that they will be riding in.

Here is the plan: Every flight has a $1 per crewmember fee added to the ticket price. These funds are then paid, bi-monthly, to the crewmembers. It works pretty evenly across the spectrum of airline aircraft. If you fly a CRJ or ERJ and carry 50 people each flight, and do, for example, four legs a day, each crewmember makes $200 for the day from this fee. If you fly a 767 and carry 250 people on a trans-Atlantic flight, you make $250 for the day. This fee is not connected to your regular pay; it is in ADDITION to regular pay. As you can see, the fee added to the ticket price would vary by the amount of crewmembers on the aircraft, but one would think that people would rather pay $3 to $10 for the crew that will safely get them to their destination than $3 for a soda or a snack.
This fee would add on average $30K to $40K to the current pay that crewmembers currently earn yearly. Feasible? I believe it is! Your thoughts?

Terrible idea!

You are giving the money to the wrong people. Use it to hire more pilots, or at least get furloughed pilots back.

Really, the only problem is how to implement it properly without getting passengers going crazy about fees. Heck just a $1 increase per crewmember on the ticket would be better.

I do like the idea as depending on the amount of passengers on board the aircraft is the direct relation ship with pay. Pay will increase with more responsibility. 747 and A380 crew members will make a lot of money with this.

Terrible idea!

You are giving the money to the wrong people. Use it to hire more pilots, or at least get furloughed pilots back.

Really, the only problem is how to implement it properly without getting passengers going crazy about fees. Heck just a $1 increase per crewmember on the ticket would be better.

I do like the idea as depending on the amount of passengers on board the aircraft is the direct relation ship with pay. Pay will increase with more responsibility. 747 and A380 crew members will make a lot of money with this.
I can see what you mean by getting the furloughed guys back, but why would would we use this fee to hire new pilots? There are plenty of pilots out there that are dying to be airline pilots. Many pilots never go to the airlines because their current "regular" job pays too well, when compared to the starting pay at airlines. If this fee was in place, and pilots were making $30K more a year from it, right from the start, that would draw more pilots to airlines. So, this would actually be used to hire more pilots, just in an indirect way :)

TOO FUNNY! I do like it though. But too bad the greedy sob ceo's cfos etc would think that this money should be theres. AND thus would go and charge 5 bucks per person for their work etc. But its funny needless to say. Perhaps you have a point here with contract talks ;)!

Why don't we just cut out the middleman and hang a "TIP JAR" by the main cabin door?

We'll make "safe landings" an assumed gratuity. Always tip 15%.

:rolleyes:

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but apparently not.

Passengers will not warm to the idea of paying an extra dollar fee to augment your pay, and here's why: with snacks, pillows, movies, and whatever else, the passengers have a choice. They can choose to buy the snack, not buy the snack, or perhaps bring their own snack. They can't chose to have pilots or not to have pilots; they can't bring their own pilot. They have to accept the pilots that the company provides, thus they expect that the cost of the pilot is built into their ticket price.

Secondly, (and I can't believe we're actually having this discussion) if you were to somehow implement a crew augmentation fee, how long do you think it will be before people will be pushing for mechanic pay augmentation fees, ticket agent augmentation fees, etc? Passengers do not like being nickle and dimed to death. All that would do is piss them off even more than they already are

And quite frankly, speaking as a passenger, why would I pay an extra dollar to get you come to work? You already coming to work for the money I am paying, why would I consider paying more?

Maybe it's because I could care less what you the passenger think of the fee. Now pay up or take the bus or drive. :) Not directed at you personally Skydog.

Back