Credit Score, Report???

[ QUOTE ]
I've been paying them off in full for a couple of years now. First, they keep raising my credit limit. Now, they keep sending me the "checks" that will count as a cash advance. They go right to the trash!

[/ QUOTE ]

The trash? You mean the shredder, right?????

[ QUOTE ]
Should've been more specific...30% of the credit limit used. i.e. ( 3,000 credit limit, your balance should stay around $300)

[/ QUOTE ]

Been practicing that math schtuff again, have ya?
grin.gif

What's 30% of 3,000 again?
cool.gif

Good point about the shredder. I'm going to start ripping them up. "Ok good safety tip, Egon ... Don't cross the streams!"

[ QUOTE ]
I've been paying them off in full for a couple of years now. First, they keep raising my credit limit. Now, they keep sending me the "checks" that will count as a cash advance. They go right to the trash!

Credit ratings can go over 1000 btw. [/quote

One of my brothers bestfriends works for Bank of America, he says the highest he's ever seen is 825, so you must be Donald Trump to have a 1000. i.e-it only goes to 850-900

I was talking about Equifax and Transamerica.

Don't know what fico is. No time to look at the link, I'm on dial up

[ QUOTE ]

The trash? You mean the shredder, right?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not stress enough the importance of shredding those 'bonus checks' and the unwanted pre-approved credit card offers you recieve in the mail. One of the easiest ways for someone to steal your identity is to go through your garbage (and yes, there are thugs out there who do that!) and take things they find that contain personal information.

Write to the DMA (Direct Marketing Association) here's how , it's free to opt-out via US mail, or a $5 fee to opt-out using their online system. You'll notice fewer mailings in a few months. The Do-Not-Call list has been a life-saver at our house, we used to get 12+ telemarketing calls a day, now we get maybe 1 or 2 polling or charitable calls a week. Even those we tell them to put us on their do not calls lists, and we get fewer and fewer calls.

Shred anything with your name, address, phone number, social security number, FAA certificate/medical numbers, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about Equifax and Transamerica.

Don't know what fico is. No time to look at the link, I'm on dial up

[/ QUOTE ]

Equifax gives you a Fico score ( I checked mine last night after reading this thread ) the range is from 300 to 850.

And, I shred everything. I highly recommend getting a shredder, they are cheap and not just for G. Gordon Liddy and John Dean anymore.
wink.gif

Speaking of credit...when I got hired by the majors I had to submit to a credit check. Somehow I remember that bad credit was a bar to employment. My memories are kind of sketchy regarding this....can anyone else chime in on this one?

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of credit...when I got hired by the majors I had to submit to a credit check. Somehow I remember that bad credit was a bar to employment. My memories are kind of sketchy regarding this....can anyone else chime in on this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

My WAG on why the airlines check newhire credit reports is because they "hire future captains, not FO's." Since a Captain has to have an ATP, and one of the requirements for an ATP is to be of "good moral character" that is how they justify looking at your credit. I could be way off, but I thought I'd throw out that guess.

Credit cards are legalized loan sharks.

If you don't pay them in full every month you're throwing money away.

If you insist on giving money away, why not call Steve's loan service. I'll cut you a 0.5% better deal than the standard rate on your existing card!
Trust me, you will want to stay current on your minimum monthly payment, though. Vinnie's a friend of mine. He gets a percentage when I call him in for collections.
grin.gif

(I've been thinking about seeing if MikeD wants a sideline job collecting for me too)
(Doug, you'll get a cut if this generates any business. Promise)

I don't think it's illegal. Insurance companies use your credit report to determine your rates. I think a credit report is standard on a backround check.

Matt-if you have had any credit inquiries in the last 60 days, etiher when you applied for a card or loan, the company that checked it can send you a copy of their findings for free. Other wise, I *think* you can go straight to the companies but they might have a small fee.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's illegal. Insurance companies use your credit report to determine your rates. I think a credit report is standard on a backround check.

Matt-if you have had any credit inquiries in the last 60 days, etiher when you applied for a card or loan, the company that checked it can send you a copy of their findings for free. Other wise, I *think* you can go straight to the companies but they might have a small fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, some (or all) of the three credit bureau will send you a copy for free. Just don't make it a habit, it's lowering your score everytime you check it.
Or go to www.freecreditreport.com (altough i donnot know if it's a spam trap or not....seeing how many times i get a cookie block warning when i got on the site...........)

Nope. Totally legal, and guess what a lot of employers do now? They get you to sign a piece of paper saying that you have no problem with them doing a background check, including a credit check, before they extend an offer of employment to you.

I'm not a fan of many of corporate America's practices, but this one makes sense.

Back