Crash of the Concorde

Now THAT was a good piece of reading!! I have to believe that it was a chain of events. But ultimately we probably will never know.

The French are still mad that English has taken over as the pre-eminent language of science and business in the world.

There was a time, not that long ago, when all diplomats spoke French - even the Asians!

There was a time, perhaps longer ago, when all scientific discourse between different cultures was conducted in Latin (several centuries ago) or German.

Nowadays, if you want to do business globally - you speak English!

Nowadays, if you want your scientific paper noticed - you publish it in English!

Why? Because of England? Silly rabbit...

The French still can't believe that they don't hold sway over the world cultural Zeitgeist. There is a common belief in the French intelligentsia that France should hold a pre-eminent place in world culture, and that the USA has somehow "stolen" this obviously superior French Weltanschauung of the world's shared culture.

(Interesting that these two terms come from German philosophy, no?)

That being said, I still love the French. Who wouldn't love a country with an official government department dedicated to preserving the purity of its language...

Plus, I love to eat in Paris! Just ask Doug!

Kevin

Kevin,
Could not agree more. A pretty accurate summary.

On another note, I can't understand why people think the French are rude. :confused: In my 10 years or so living in Europe, I have worked with many French folks and have travelled extensively throughout the country. They are perhaps the most polite people on the earth. To give a concrete example, one time I took the wrong way down a busy one way boulevard in Nice. Everyone was patient and let me extricate myself from the huge messed I accidentally caused and nary a horn was honked nor a middle finger displayed.

Try doing that here and you better be wearing a bullet-proof vest.

Back