COVID sucks...

Yep... Left everyone’s dream job in January in a boneheaded attempt to improve my personal QOL and fulfill a personal dream. Now I’m collecting unemployment. I’ll be lucky to be back within 3 years as far as I see it.
Who could've seen the virus or its fallout coming though?

MT what was everyones dream job? DL or the other 2 of the big 3? Or was it an LCC ala WN JB SPRT?

Whatever everyone does...use what you learned in the industry to find a foot backi in the door if you're 35 or younger. Especially if aviation is what you love. Or use it in another field.

I left Airport Ops at one of the Big 3 after 15 years doing a variety of things at its largest hub in 2015. If I had some patience at the time I could have just retired next October with the rest of my buddies whom are still at that major. With plenty of senority behind them.

I left because dispatch payed better, and I had a number of surgeries having worked the ramp a big chunck of that time. I was 38. Plus I always enjoyed ops the reason I stayed at the airport so long. Reservations, Ticket zcounter or some administrative position has never appealed to me in Aviation. I got in the field for the planes.

Was lucky enough to catch on with a regional for a few years, and that came to an end for a health issue that was completely unforeseen after leaving the Airport due to my failing knees and feet. Of all things. The irony has been bitter sweet. I always thought my feet or knees would be my demise. Go figure

I'm now in my early 40's. Still young, not not young enough for dispatch in my mind. I've done the commute hub to hub every week. Time away from my wife. If I were in my early 20's...I'd give DX another run.

I live in a hub city. I have 18 years experience, split between Ops in a large hub,dispatch and a few other positions with that Major. I plan on just trying to get back into an Ops position with that major in the future.

Right now my focus is on my health.and trying to live another day. COVID essentially came at a time for me to focus on being healthy. I can't even work now if I wanted to.

I wish everyone the best. If you're in your 20's, 35 or younger. Give it another. If you're not...go for it as well. Everyone knows what will be best for them and their personal life. Aviation is what I do. I see myself trying to get back in Airport Ops in some type of position.

I'm grateful for the experience I got in DX at the Regional I was at. But it would take something extreme for me to go back into dispatch. My wife has always had a great job thankfully. We have been saving for a house forever and are in underwriting at the moment. The pay is great,but it will take a miracle to get me to commute again in the near future.

Goodluck to everyone. This happens in the industry as others have said. I was on probation 9/11/2001. 5 months EXACTLY on that day. I got lucky. Got a job at BankOne after being furloughed only to be called back thankfully three months later. I was in my 20's at the time and went on to put in some significant time with said company.

I'd try again,but don't want to retire on nights if I start again in my 40's.

One of the best things I ever did was get my dispatch license and actually take a chance. I'm not done with the industry,but I think time is not on my side regarding dispatch.

Better to have taken a chance and the leap, than never done a thing and always wondered.....

Last edited:
Back