Couple of questions...

Zach

Just had a couple quick questions that someone asked me about Purdue and I couldn't answer....

Anyone know about how many hours you'll come away with at the end of four years in the Flight program? My other question was about how many CFIs the school hires from the student pool and if they get any perks as far as rentals or anything. I'll probably email the school and get their 'official' (but not always accurate, eh?) answers...

Thanks guys.

Oh and another question... when you get your private before you come to Purdue do you have to get it part 141 or can ya go 61?

Let me answer the last question first. No, it doesn't matter whether you get your PPL FAR 61 or FAR 141. I got mine part 61. One other thing, Purdue's program does not operate as Part 141. Its actually part 61. I didn't know this until I actually got here and started flying. Just make sure that if you're going to start your training that you finish or else they'll make you take the PPL course here which would just be a waste of your money.

Regarding flight time, hypothetically if you flew only in the Purdue program from start to finish you would incur approximately 200 hours of flight time plus 50 in the Frasca sim. Add on the few hours in the Seminole for the Multi-Engine rating (?). Also you would get a certain number of hours SIC on the King Air 200 (I believe its between 10-30hrs, not sure). Add on the amount of 727 sim time and thats the magic number. Its basically just a little bit more than is required to get your PPL, Instrument, Commercial and Multi-Engine. The CFI is not required in the Purdue program, however, it is encouraged. From what I've seen, if you get your CFI before the start of a school year you'll be given two students per semester to teach. The CFI's are paid and I think thats the only perk. My CFI for my commerical is a senior in the flight program. Basically, building time consists of getting your CFI and working hard or spending a lot of money or both. If someone else has more definite numbers (i.e. Neil) please clarify.

CFI's (students still in the program I mean) are considered part time and only get paid as far as I know - nothing else. Other than taking the Cadets (Warriors now I guess) up for .5 to get night current there aren't any 'rental' perks. Purdue does not 'rent' their airplanes to anyone - students enrolled in flight courses only. If you do nothing other than the flying in Purdue's flight courses you won't come out with much flight time - basically the minimums required to get the ratings. Not all students that have their CFI's get to teach - it just depends on the numbers - if they have 60 people apply for 30 part time CFI jobs then ...well you do the math. If you do get a position you **might** get2 flight students a semester if you're lucky - I think most CFI's have 1 flight and 1 sim student. If I remember correctly you get about 20 hours of dual given per student so part time CFI's really aren't building that much time either.

A minor correction to the above post - unless it has changed in past few years with the new Seminoles the multi engine course is operated under Part 141 - it's really no big deal - doesn't really change anything.

Jason

Here is what my friend pasted a long time ago on Airliners.net:

For the record, Purdue students are guaranteed a minimum of 219 hours, assuming absolutely no outside flying:

* 200 hours in actual airplanes required for commercial certificate (remainder of the 250 is in FTDs)
* 10 hours in the Duchess required for the multi-engine rating
* 9 hours minimum required in the King Air, with some students getting considerably more (up to around 50 hours)

In addition to that, we are guaranteed 90 of advanced simulation (in 727s; 120 hours in 727 if you don't graduate early), and 50+ hours in FTDs. Additionally, a majority of students choose to become flight instructors, about 6/year fly the Beechjet (100+ hours each), and others take other flying jobs while in school (banner towing, etc.)

In all, Purdue's guarantee is 219 hours in actual airplanes (200 single engine, 19 multi), 50 hours of basic "simulation", and 90 hours of advanced simulation. Those completing only 90 hours of advanced simulation will graduate early.
----------------------------------------------
For the record, this information is extremely dated (probably over 2 years) so use it only as a guide. I will say that it sounds right.

I also pulled this off of Airliners.net. This was from 2000 and it was posted by me. It's a good description of our program. I can't believe I wrote this. I can't write nearly this well anymore.
wink.gif

-----------------------------------------------

I can field any questions you folks have about the Aviation Administration program here. I'm not an expert, but I will see if I can track down some of the answers to your questions (if I can't answer them).

I'm pretty partial myself, as I go to Purdue. I'll attest to the fact that the land here is pretty boring, which doesn't do the campus justice. Too bad Purdue's not in Boston!

Anyhow, I feel that I have made the right choice where I am. I have found that my classmates have been just as enthusiastic about the program as I. I have yet to find someone who isn't.

Although Purdue is a Big 10 school, it doesn't feel like it. I come from a small town and I usually find the ol' "hustle and bustle" of city life to be a tad unnerving. When I say, "I feel right at home at Purdue" is no small statement.

You're mainly grouped with the folks from your area of study. In the classes that pertain specifically to your area of study you will be usually with the same people; this allows for some close friendships to be forged.

The teachers here too are very happy about their position. In fact my Aircraft Systems teacher, Denver Lopp looks for any reason to got outside to walk around our two static trainers; the Boeing 727 and 737. I feel like I'm in ER making the rounds with a group of residents and a Doctor looking at patients!
At times, Lopp (as well as other Professors) like to joke around and make the class very entertaining. That makes all the difference in the world when the subject could be very cut and dry.

As Purdue is a school of about 45,000 there is a vareity of interests in and around campus. It's very easy to get involved in clubs that aren't of your major and meet people who aren't involved in any aspect of flying. That's one of the pluses I've found; you're not limited to aviation.

I, for one, am a person who likes a little variety in life. Remember: "variety is the spice of life!" I have found this school to be very accomidating of that.

The only downside that I've found is that our simulator equipment is a little lacking. We have only 2 "outdated" 727 (which I'd love to fly, don't get me wrong) that aren't up to current industry standards. IMHO, I think we need to get a glass cockpit simulator. We were supposed to get a Fairchild-Donnier 328 simulator, but now it doesn't seem it will ever happen!

I hope that I've been of assistance. Oh, before I leave: We do get airline service here. United Express (Great Lakes Aviation) and Northwest Airlink (Mesaba) fly into this airport.

Back