Cost is Tax Deductable?

It *might* be if you are doing it under some circumstances, I would check the FAR's, maybe someone on here knows, but it would have to be some really weird circumstances. If your just doing it for recreation, no it's not tax deductable.

I would have thought that it could be considered education expenses which are tax deductible aren't they?

My instructor tried to write off his, and it didn't work. So I don't how hard he tried, but my guess is that it wouldn't work

If you take out a home equity loan in order to pay for your flight training, then it's tax deductible.

I believe you can deduct if you are already flying as a career and paying for additional training in your career.

I know my accountant says I can do it because it is job related.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe you can deduct if you are already flying as a career and paying for additional training in your career.

I know my accountant says I can do it because it is job related.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much the way I heard it.

But you'd better have some other things to itemize on a "Schedule A" in order to see any real benefit.

There are also some interesting things that happen once you have a Commercial Certificate. That is, just about everything is deductable. Our accountant is SUPER conservative and is a-ok with writing off anything aviation related once a Commercial is in hand. This includes AOPA membership, new ratings, proficiency flights, etc.
-D

[ QUOTE ]
If you take out a home equity loan in order to pay for your flight training, then it's tax deductible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm using some of our Home Equity Line of Credit to pay for the remainder of my training and it's tax deductible.

That being said - interest we pay on the Home Equity Line of Credit is tax deductible regardless of what we use it for.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Negative, Ghostrider. The interest you'd pay is deductible, but not the amount spent on your training. As others have said, flight training is deductible only if it's in furtherance of your occupation, which doesn't necessarily limit it to if you're already a professional pilot. A traveling salesman could deduct flight training expenses (except for the commercial rating) as it would reasonably further his sales business. Air traffic controllers have been successful with the deduction as well, as knowing what the other side is like improves their ability to do their job. The caveat is that the training cannot prepare you for a different job, which is why training for a commercial certificate isn't deductible as it qualifies you for employment as a pilot. That said, if you're already a professional pilot--for example, a CFI--you could deduct the cost of your multiengine rating or MEI/CFII add-on to your flight instructor ticket. Realistically speaking, however, a CFI isn't going to be making the kind of dough where itemizing would make sense.

I believe that you can claim your expenses (licenses and ratings) as a continuing education credit, not a deduction. It does not give you all that much (about 1500 I believe) but it helps. I guess the difference is that you are getting a credit and not a deduction (I know that one is confusing). Otherwise, once you get your commercial, everything is free game. Also if you took money out on a student loan, the interest should be deductible under the new tax laws as relates to educational expenses.

However, as has already been stated by others, unless you are itemizing it is not worth the headache. So if you have a mortgage, 2nd mortgage, spouse, etc.... than it is worth looking into. If not, you will probably do better with the standard deductions.

Now that I have put that out there, has anyone talked to an accountant (aviation) on this issue. Problem is most accountants don't deal with this and all seem to have their own interpretation on these issues anyway.

I hardly ever make enough (even with the wife's income) to both itemizing. As far as accounting, I have to take financial accounting from Riddle Distance Learning to get my BS. I'm SURE this topic will come up.
smile.gif

Back