Correct Career Path?

TOMAHAWK

Hey guys. I am just new to the forum today and I have a question. I know this question gets asked alot and people get sick of responding to these topics. But if you have a spare few minutes to awnser my question that would be greatly appreciated.
I am in my second to last year at Highschool but plan on leaving at the end of this year. I have been accepted into a Bachelor of Business studies course next year so dont plan on going back to school. What I want to know is if I would be best to spend a year working to pay for flying hours. Or Start the degree programme next year and also work to pay for 2 to 3 hours a week?
Or the third option is to enroll into a 3 year flying programme. I will come out with my PPL,CPL, Multi Engine Instrument rating and B Cat flight instructor with 1100 hours flying. And also a diploma in Management. The downside to this course is I will be oweing $70,000 NZD. But if I was to do the University course I will get a degree, CPL and 300 hours flying, but only oweing $35,000. After completion of this course I plan to get my CFI CAT C and also Multi Engine Instrument rating.
If you could please advise what path to follow that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time
Regards Ryan

The $70k route would be a waste of time and money. Go the cheapest route even if it takes you a little longer. You're young and have plenty of time. Ideal situation would be to attend a state college, get your license on the side at a FBO and part time instruct through school.

Looks like somebody missed that he's from New Zealand, not New Jersey. Different part of the world, different market forces--might call for a different training strategy.

[ QUOTE ]
But if I was to do the University course I will get a degree, CPL and 300 hours flying, but only oweing $35,000. After completion of this course I plan to get my CFI CAT C and also Multi Engine Instrument rating.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always better to owe someone less money than more money. So I would say this route, since you owe less than half of what you'd otherwise owe, would be the best route.

What part of New Zealand are you from? I went to Queenstown a few years ago and loved it.

Hey mate.
Im from Napier which is in the North Island. You are right about Queenstown it is the most beutiful place in New Zealand. A little over crowded with tourists but is full of natural beauty.

I have decided to go and get the Business Degree and continue working to fly roughly 3 hours a week.

Thanks guys for the post and if anyone is ever planning a visit be sure to come and pay me a visit. I would be more than happy to take you on a sightseeing flight at my expense.

Regards Ryan

[ QUOTE ]
Hey mate.
Im from Napier which is in the North Island. You are right about Queenstown it is the most beutiful place in New Zealand. A little over crowded with tourists but is full of natural beauty.

I have decided to go and get the Business Degree and continue working to fly roughly 3 hours a week.

Thanks guys for the post and if anyone is ever planning a visit be sure to come and pay me a visit. I would be more than happy to take you on a sightseeing flight at my expense.

Regards Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I may take you up on that offer, Ryan! I would love to do a little sightseeing on the North Island. The only part of the North Island I got to see was the airport in Auckland.

I gotta get back down to your neck of the woods again. Everyone there was so friendly and nice although it was kind of funny to be the one with the odd accent!

Back