Corporate Jet down in Minnesota

thats terrible. its amazing that the tail and engines were left intact while the rest of the plane seems to have disappeared.

I just got off the phone with one of my clients who said she had to call me back as she just got the news that some of her friends were killed in a plane crash in Minnesota.:(

RIP

the wx this morning was ugly. i was driving home about 830am and could just see the huge wall cloud moving east.

KOWA 311555Z AUTO 24003KT 10SM -RA CLR 19/17 A2977 RMK AO2 P0003 LTG DSNT NE AND SE
KOWA 311535Z AUTO 16006KT 10SM -VCTSRA SCT025 SCT050 18/16 A2977 RMK AO2 P0003 LTG DSNT SE
KOWA 311515Z AUTO 22012KT 10SM VCTSRA SCT021 BKN037 BKN050 18/17 A2986 RMK AO2 P0002 LTG DSNT E THRU SW
KOWA 311455Z AUTO 17006KT 10SM RA SCT018 SCT029 BKN037 19/17 A2983 RMK AO2 P0009 LTG DSNT E THRU S
KOWA 311435Z AUTO 18003KT 10SM -VCTSRA SCT038 SCT049 BKN100 18/16 A2985 RMK AO2 P0005 LTG DSNT ALQDS
KOWA 311415Z AUTO 32008KT 10SM TSRA SCT037 BKN045 OVC050 18/16 A2988 RMK AO2 P0003 LTG DSNT ALQDS
KOWA 311355Z AUTO 32031G42KT TSRA 18/16 A2982 RMK AO2 P0002 LTG DSNT ALQDS
KOWA 311335Z AUTO 30036G55KT 2SM +TSRA SCT002 SCT014 BKN022 19/17 A2984 RMK AO2 VIS 1V5 P0022 LTG DSNT ALQDS

picture.php

picture.php

That video looks like it represents a pretty typical flight around a storm system, with an (anticipated) landing in (possible) rain showers on the back side. That matches the description of some of the witnesses on the airport at the time of the crash.

An hour before the crash, a 72 mph wind gust was reported in Owatonna, according to the National Weather Service. But witnesses said the crash occurred after the worst of the storm had passed, with the sky clearing and only light rain.

Chealander released new data about weather observations around the time of the crash. At 9:15 a.m., a northwest wind was blowing at 8 knots; at 9:35 a.m., 10 minutes before the crash, it had eased to 3 knots and swung to the south, making it a tailwind.

This is an even more interesting statement from a witness:

Roy Redman, president of RARE Aircraft Inc., a mechanics company at the airport, said Friday that he was inside and heard the plane land on the runway.

Moments later, one of his mechanics who had watched the landing came running around the building, yelling that the jet had gone off the runway and disappeared in some trees in the distance.

Redman, who called 911, said the mechanic told him the jet landed, then went airborne, rolled and hit the ground.

Source: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/08/01/crashfolo/?refid=0

I flew around that same storm twice. The first time looked sort of like this:

attachment.php

...and the second time we were going this way:

attachment.php

Note that the weather depiction on those flight tracks isn't really accurate, because it is just a snapshot taken sometime during the flight. For example, the second flight track shows the weather right on top of RFD when we left, when in reality it was still about 30 or 40 miles away.

Attachments

• msp rfd.gif
    msp rfd.gif
    57.7 KB · Views: 300
  • rfd spw.gif
    rfd spw.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 301
The quote from the Rare Aircraft guy at runs the company that rebuilt that WACO for AOPA a few years back I believe. It was good to see a quote from someone other than the usual media quotes. I read several that were the typical, "he was going so fast, way to high, blah, blah....".

There was the trucker driving down the road, Mary Jo the local farmer, etc....

Watching the news now, and they did have a black box that they recovered. Is that typical in a biz jet? There was also another company executive that had a lst minute change of meetings a couple of days beforehand. He was sent to Philadelphia instead.

Thought I saw a job posting for ECJ's Lear 35s a few weeks ago...

Any way it seems the jet had aborted a takeoff, then crashed?

Thought I saw a job posting for ECJ's Lear 35s a few weeks ago...

Any way it seems the jet had aborted a takeoff, then crashed?

uh, unless you are talking about another incident, this plane that crashed in Owatonna was coming in for landing and not taking off.:confused:

it was a question in regards to this comment:

Quote:

Roy Redman, president of RARE Aircraft Inc., a mechanics company at the airport, said Friday that he was inside and heard the plane land on the runway.

Moments later, one of his mechanics who had watched the landing came running around the building, yelling that the jet had gone off the runway and disappeared in some trees in the distance.

Redman, who called 911, said the mechanic told him the jet landed, then went airborne, rolled and hit the ground.

how anyone could survive that is incredible.

It takes some number of minutes for fire to destroy and airplane in the manner that this airplane has been destroyed. In many survivable accidents there is time for the survivors to evacuate before the fire consumes the majority of the fuselage.

Go around I ment, my apologies for the confusion.

no apologies needed. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

they did clip the rw lights on the opposite (departure) end.

Back