Cool Website

smokey1

For all you flight sim fans

http://www.projectmagenta.com/
then click on our customers cockpits

You will be blown away by some of the things people are building in their homes.............
cool.gif

Ha....it's crazy what some people spend just to set up a home cockpit....why don't they just get a PPL instead?!?!?!
confused.gif
It would probably cost about the same as setting a home cockpit up.
grin.gif

I think for some people its just a hobby.....I think it would be real cool to have in your house......I guess its just the ultimate video game.
crazy.gif

No, these aren't real they are homebuilt simulators. They are running Microsoft flight simulator like everyone else excrpt thet have figured out a way to make all the buttons and knobs work through a method called keyboard information. There is a big market for this stuff. I have more websites if anyone is interested. I've seen everything from cessnas, to King Airs, to F-16's,to 777's, to a guy who bought the front of an old 737 and built his sim out of all real 737 parts in his garage.
Smokey.................
wink.gif

There's a guy here in Australia building a full motion 747-400 simulator, he built the cockpit from steel frame from boeing specs and has sourced most of the parts from real mothballed 747s in Arizona, has real 747 seats, control colums, throttle quadrant, rudders etc etc, built a custom force feedback for all the controls and has a working auto throttle. The project is being built in a wharehouse owned by his company and is spaned to take 10yrs to complete and about $100k AUD (bout $60k USD) However that price might be without the full motion part. I think he's using 'Precision Simulator 744' it's a program that costs about $500 here and comes with a manual about 400 pages thick.

People might say why waste the money, but considering a real 747 sim costs several millions of dollars I'd say what he's paying is a bargan price in comparison, plus you can't really fly a real 747 as a hobby.

Mathew Sheil's 747 Simulator

[ QUOTE ]

People might say why waste the money, but considering a real 747 sim costs several millions of dollars I'd say what he's paying is a bargan price in comparison, plus you can't really fly a real 747 as a hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be a bargain if he could use the time toward currency or a rating. I don't think I'd brag about having wasted, I mean spent money on a full blown mockup of a 747. If I was flying the real deal of course, that would be different.

[ QUOTE ]
It would be a bargain if he could use the time toward currency or a rating. I don't think I'd brag about having wasted, I mean spent money on a full blown mockup of a 747. If I was flying the real deal of course, that would be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I emphsise HOBBY, I don't think this person has any real desire to be a real 747 pilot, plus you have to fly other types for at least 20yrs or so before you even start your 747 training, and at age 40 or so I doubt he'll ever get the chance to fly a real one as a paid pilot. Some people buy big boats, some people buy fast cars and some people make aircraft simulators, it's easy for someone to call any of those 'a waste of money' but to them it's not, it's somthing they enjoy and people are allowed to spend their money how they want. Heck if I won the lotto I might even consider building one, just for the hell of it
grin.gif

I totally agree, if its something you enjoy doing then why not, especially if you have the means to do so. Some people may argue why not just get your PPL, but most of these people have careers already and want to at least "somewhat" (and I emphasize somewhat) experience what it is like to fly heavies. Besides it makes for an interesting conversation piece when you have company at your house.
Smokey......................................................

These guys are using an EPIC card to interface the buttons, switches, LEDs and rotary knobs with the computer. Then there is another program called FSUIPC that is required to interface with all the varialbes in FS2002. The Project Magenta software is set up on different computers. For example, you might have one computer running FS and a second running the PM software like a PFD, a third running a ND, a third running the MCP software and a fourth running the FMC-CDU software. All the computers are networked to get the whole project to work. It is really an awesome hobby to have thanks to a small group of hardcore developers out there.

I have a PPL and still view FS as a really cool tool to practice procedures and checklists. Once I get the room cleared in my house I am going to be building one of my own 744 rig. Can't wait. PS1.3 is by far the best simulator around. It only simulates the 744 but it is worth every penny. I definitely think it would be good for pilots that are early in their career to try this software and become familiar with the FMC, LNAV, VNAV, and all the complex systems on a 744. It can only help.

I really like sims myself and I plan on building one in the future also. I already have the room cleared out and I'm taking my ideas to my girlfriends father this weekend. He's a shop teacher in Texas.

[ QUOTE ]
No, these aren't real they are homebuilt simulators. They are running Microsoft flight simulator like everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya... but LOOK AT EM! My own flights don't even look THAT real half the time!

Back