Contract pilots

I call BS on this. $600 a day is NOT what the going rate is, not even for Captains.
If you're not getting that, you're under paid. That's a little less than I made flying a 500 and close to what I'll be getting in the 525 once I finish class.

I might agree about PIC & SIC not being the same pay, but I do know that some operators pay the same. Not all, but some.

Just repeating what I found out. I don't care if you believe me or not. I've never even sat in a Ce-500. $600 was at the top end- it would've been more accurate to say $5-600. You're only worth what you can negotiate.
$500-$600 is very reasonable. You can get more in many cases. Lots of places try to get you for less.

-mini

What? So the next time I get offered something on the side and I have nothing to do I should hunt someone else down and offer them the job first? I've got a future to save up for too...

Doubtful, but what if a buddy who you know is a month away from getting tossed out of his apartment and is qualified to take the trip is available? Would you then take the trip saying to yourself "well ya know, it is a free market and they did call me first and I have nothing to do and I bet that extra $500 would buy me a few kegs."

The man up thing would be knowing that our economy and a very very large ammount of people are hurting right now, and it's not done. It is very likely that many more people will end up on the street.

What a decent person would say if they had a buddy in said situation is, ponder for a second, then inquire very nicely with the prospective contact with this job "If it's not forward of me, I have a friend who I would like to put you in touch with to take this trip. He is very well qualified with (insert good remarks) and could use the money to help him stay in his apartment. If you might be interested in this I would be able to put this person in touch with you, but if your not interested I appreciate your contacting me and would be happy to help you out."

But of course, that would get in the way of getting that extra diamond for my grillz..:D

I am not against being selfish or a greedy arrogant sob, by all accounts I am one. But currently being a full time employed pilot I count myself lucky for I very easily could be furloughed if I would have chosen to leave my current job (not for lack of trying though).

Greed and immediate gratification is what put all of us (americans, people, earthlings) in our current economic situation, and unfortunately I think that we as a society and people have not learned anything from this economic disaster, and I would not be surprised at all to see it happen again fairly soon.

Last statement, throw people you know some bones, pay it forward, etc. Times are tough, people are hurting, and loosing everything that they have worked hard for. In tough times look out for each other, you never know what good karma will bring.

-Brian

If you're not getting that, you're under paid. That's a little less than I made flying a 500 and close to what I'll be getting in the 525 once I finish class.

I might agree about PIC & SIC not being the same pay, but I do know that some operators pay the same. Not all, but some.

$500-$600 is very reasonable. You can get more in many cases. Lots of places try to get you for less.

-mini

interesting, everyone I have talked to that flys anything falling under the C-500 type says my $400 for SIC is great. Like I said, I have flown contract for about 5 companies, 2 of them TOLD me that $400 is what they pay, the others asked me and I told them $400 and that was fine.

Im not saying I dont believe you, but this is just my experience with contract rates in the southern California area. I guarantee that if I ask for more than $400 a day from my current gig, they will just laugh.

Doubtful, but what if a buddy who you know is a month away from getting tossed out of his apartment and is qualified to take the trip is available? Would you then take the trip saying to yourself "well ya know, it is a free market and they did call me first and I have nothing to do and I bet that extra $500 would buy me a few kegs."

The man up thing would be knowing that our economy and a very very large ammount of people are hurting right now, and it's not done. It is very likely that many more people will end up on the street.

What a decent person would say if they had a buddy in said situation is, ponder for a second, then inquire very nicely with the prospective contact with this job "If it's not forward of me, I have a friend who I would like to put you in touch with to take this trip. He is very well qualified with (insert good remarks) and could use the money to help him stay in his apartment. If you might be interested in this I would be able to put this person in touch with you, but if your not interested I appreciate your contacting me and would be happy to help you out."

But of course, that would get in the way of getting that extra diamond for my grillz..:D

I am not against being selfish or a greedy arrogant sob, by all accounts I am one. But currently being a full time employed pilot I count myself lucky for I very easily could be furloughed if I would have chosen to leave my current job (not for lack of trying though).

Greed and immediate gratification is what put all of us (americans, people, earthlings) in our current economic situation, and unfortunately I think that we as a society and people have not learned anything from this economic disaster, and I would not be surprised at all to see it happen again fairly soon.

Last statement, throw people you know some bones, pay it forward, etc. Times are tough, people are hurting, and loosing everything that they have worked hard for. In tough times look out for each other, you never know what good karma will bring.

-Brian

At this time I know no such person who meets the criteria that you listed above that is a close friend of mine (and lives close to me) that I can throw a bone to. Now, when a prospective flight instructing student calls up based on a past student referral, I send them to the one of my several, very qualified former students who are now CFI's. Some survey work comes up? Same thing. However, when a random contract job does pop up that doesn't interfere with my main job, I'll offer myself for what I'm worth and they can accept or reject my pilot services. The extra "$500" doesn't go to "a few kegs" or extra "diamonds for my grill" but does go directly to my savings/safety cushion. That is precisely the kind of behavior that will keep us OUT of our "current economic situation." Save, save, save and don't expect the government to save your tail when the wind blows the wrong way.

interesting, everyone I have talked to that flys anything falling under the C-500 type says my $400 for SIC is great.
My appologies. I looked at your profile and assumed you were PIC contracting in the 550 (and we know what happens when one assumes).

$400/day for a PIC in a CE-500 is very low. $500-$600 is reasonable for Captains.

-mini

Back to the original question, networking is key. I am not sure how you get and maintain your qualifications, but if you go to school for it, make up some cards for yourself and hand them out to the guys/gals in your class. Let them know you are interested in contract work. In the past I have kept a few names of people that really impressed me in training (i.e great attitude, proficient etc.) and forwarded calls to them when myself or other instructors couldn't go fly.

There are a few websites out there (JC included) that allow you to network yourself. You would be surprised how a little initiative and basic salesmanship can lead to contracting offers.

If you forward me some basic info for yourself, I will let some of the CE-500 guys know you are available and see if you get any hits that way...

Back