Contract pilot/Part time pilots

speedbird

Hey guys,

Do these pilots get jobs with mainly charter operations like coporate jet companies, or can they work for scheduled airlines as well? (To cover sick leave, holidays, long haul flights)

Is this a wise career path?

thanks guys

Contract pilots can usually make a decent wage. Your ususally paid by the day/hour and normally there are no benefits involved. Also with most companies you are responsible for paying your own taxes as well. You should take these facts into consideration when bidding for the job.

Most of these type of jobs can be found with corporate/private companies. I have heard of a few government ones as well.

I do a lot of contract flying. I tried to do some when I was at Mesa and Midway, but it was very rare to have the schedules match up.

Most of the contract stuff is long term, which I turn down. For example, I didn't want to go to Australia for a year, even though the money was pretty good for the Kendall contract.

I love it when they call me for a "pop-up" however, like "go pick up this CRJ and move it to here ..."

Those work out best for me.

Some of the instructors that I work with get contract jobs to ferry planes, one pilot ferried a 727 from Florida to somewhere in Indonesia. The pay varies, I have hear $500 per day, $2,000 per day, all include ticket, expenses, etc. These guys are all past 60, so it gives them a chance to fly. The bad part is the condition of the airplanes, one pilot ferried an AMC MD90 from Egypt to the desert, he said when they picked the airplane up there were over 50 DMI's on it, the Captain's FMS was out, some of the instruments on the FO was out as well.

Do contract pilots usually have more ratings than others? Or is it simply that they decide to avail themselves of the opportunity? Being single the idea of going to Austraila for a year sounds pretty cool.

The Australia deal ended poorly. Several pilots got stranded over there as the contract was prematurely ended. I believe it was a labor union problem with Ansett Airlines. I don't have the details.

Anybody hear involved in the AvMax/Kendall contract? What's the scoop on that anyway? I know Mesa bought several of their CRJs, and I know that Ansett and Kendall have some sort of relationship.

[ QUOTE ]

he said when they picked the airplane up there were over 50 DMI's on it, the Captain's FMS was out, some of the instruments on the FO was out as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is a DMI?

DMI - Deferred Maintenance Items.

This is not surprising. I'm sure they had a ferry permit for the plane.

I usually have to have a ferry permit when I pick up a plane. They are rarely "in the rotation" for regular maintenance.

Back